Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,464 members, 7,812,418 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:05 PM

Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates (2796 Views)

You Will Not Believe Why This Guy Dropped Out Of College Despite Having 4.0 GPA / Students Of Imo State University Protest Over Closure Of School By Strike / Ekenze Chigozie: I Almost Dropped Out Of School – IMSU Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by ImanuelJannah(m): 3:36pm On Aug 10, 2016
Why I Dropped Out of School - Bill Gates

Abuja - In an effort to change the perception of youths who think
education is not important for a successful life, the world's richest
man, Bill Gates has explained why he dropped out of Harvard university
at age 19.

Gates revealed that his desire to be the pioneer in the business of
microcomputer software was the reason he suspended his university
education in 1975.

He disclosed this during an interview session with a cross section of
African youths on MTV Base and monitored by Nigerian Interest Blog.

The 60 years old billionaire who described himself as a strange kind
of drop-out said: "I went to Harvard university for several years. I
only dropped out because, if I didn't get going with my idea, someone
might beat me to the market with the idea of microcomputer software."

While reminiscing the days he spent in pursuit of higher education,
Gates said he loved Harvard university, and that his time there were some of his best days in life.

He said he left Harvard university with the consent of his parents who
were already business savvy, had seen the potentials of his
microcomputer software idea, and could share his enthusiasm for the
software. However, he further said he promised his parents he would
return to Harvard to complete his education and obtain his degree.

In keeping to that promise, in 2007 exactly 32 years after he dropped
out of school, Gates obtained a degree in computer science from
Harvard university.

He advised African youths to embrace education and entrepreneurship, if they desire to be billionaires like himself.

"Take your education seriously, think about whether you want to work
for a big company to get some experience before you start your own
business or you just want to delve straight into entrepreneurship.
Either way makes a whole lot of sense. Africa needs millions of
billionaires to get to where it deserves." He said

http://nigerianinterest..com.ng/2016/08/why-i-dropped-out-of-school-bill-gates.html

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by FreeSpirited: 3:58pm On Aug 10, 2016
Now i think the hungry motivational speakers will stop saying Bill gate was a drop out......instead of emphasizing on the level of knowledge and mastery he had in programming before suspending his education for business.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by Toppytek(m): 4:22pm On Aug 10, 2016
not only the motivational speakers... even some unserious lazy students compensate themselves with the believe that their certificate is not a yardstick to their success even when they don't have a better alternative... this is very common among the so called believers on campus... dem go get exams dem no go read ... na fellowship and vigil you go dey see dem... later they'll say an unbeliever is doing very well than them... Note: I'm a Christian and I believe in working hard and being rational with a positive mindset.

5 Likes

Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by ImanuelJannah(m): 4:30pm On Aug 10, 2016
FreeSpirited:
Now i think the hungry motivational speakers will stop saying Bill gate was a drop out......instead of emphasizing on the level of knowledge and mastery he had in programming before suspending his education for business.
That's a point those "hungry" motivational speakers don't want to talk about

1 Like

Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by FreeSpirited: 4:35pm On Aug 10, 2016
ImanuelJannah:
That's a point those "hungry" motivational speakers don't want to talk about
After i read a book about 10000 hours of practice and success(Outliers) i stopped believing Bill gate was a normal drop out like 9ja drop outs.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by ImanuelJannah(m): 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2016
FreeSpirited:
After i read a book about 10000 hours of practice and success(Outliers) i stopped believing Bill gate was a normal drop out like 9ja drop outs.
same with me. I changed my perception of him after reading his book titled: "Business At The Speed of Thought"
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by fawaz050(m): 4:51pm On Aug 10, 2016
grin
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by chacoonder(m): 6:53pm On Aug 10, 2016
The two keywords here are FOCUS & HARDWORK.
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by musicwriter(m): 7:13pm On Aug 10, 2016
Dreams could be very powerful and literally control someone.
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by sylvez(m): 7:32pm On Aug 10, 2016
ImanuelJannah:
Why I Dropped Out of School - Bill Gates

Abuja - In an effort to change the perception of youths who think
education is not important for a successful life, the world's richest
man, Bill Gates has explained why he dropped out of Harvard university
at age 19.

Gates revealed that his desire to be the pioneer in the business of
microcomputer software was the reason he suspended his university
education in 1975.

He disclosed this during an interview session with a cross section of
African youths on MTV Base and monitored by Nigerian Interest Blog.

The 60 years old billionaire who described himself as a strange kind
of drop-out said: "I went to Harvard university for several years. I
only dropped out because, if I didn't get going with my idea, someone
might beat me to the market with the idea of microcomputer software."

While reminiscing the days he spent in pursuit of higher education,
Gates said he loved Harvard university, and that his time there were some of his best days in life.

He said he left Harvard university with the consent of his parents who
were already business savvy, had seen the potentials of his
microcomputer software idea, and could shared his enthusiasm for the
software. However, he further said he promised his parents he would
return to Harvard to complete his education and obtain his degree.

In keeping to that promise, in 2007 exactly 32 years after he dropped
out of school, Gates obtained a degree in computer science from
Harvard university.

He advised African youths to embrace education and entrepreneurship, if they desire to be billionaires like himself.

"Take your education seriously, think about whether you want to work
for a big company to get some experience before you start your own
businesses or you just want to delve straight into entrepreneurship.
Either way makes a whole lot of sense. Africa needs millions of
billionaires to get to where it deserves." He said

http://nigerianinterest..c.ng/2016/08/why-i-dropped-out-of-school-bill-gates.html

I'm particularly interested in dis last statement....

" Africa needs millions of
billionaires to get to where it deserves."

he got my thought....
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by CaptEColeJnr: 7:42pm On Aug 10, 2016
In other words, what he meant was that you should follow the path that suits your dream.

He dropped out of school because he didn't needed the education or degree,what he needed was focus and programming training

I'm only saying this,make some people no go drop out of school now thinking dem go still make am. LOL
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by vicsoj007(m): 10:49pm On Aug 10, 2016
lot of moral lesson fro this
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by Ximonak: 11:29pm On Aug 10, 2016
FreeSpirited:

He was a Havard drop out, not Nigeria university or even anyhow USA university.

You know the application and assessment, IQ etc you need to scale through to be granted admission there.

No Nigeria University is in 1st 1000, but I believe we can also have Nigerians that will shake the world if our economy becomes stable abit
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by FreeSpirited: 11:46pm On Aug 10, 2016
Ximonak:

He was a Havard drop out, not Nigeria university or even anyhow USA university.

You know the application and assessment, IQ etc you need to scale through to be granted admission there.

No Nigeria University is in 1st 1000, but I believe we can also have Nigerians that will shake the world if our economy becomes stable abit
Stop yarning dust. Every ignorant person wants you to believe he dropped out and still became a success....If you really understand the circumstances surrounding his dropping out you wont dare call him a drop out. For the record, he only dropped out on his on accord so as to pursue his dream and passion. Had he wanted to graduate he would have with flying colors.
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by felipemadero(m): 2:10am On Aug 11, 2016
Tell them jare...
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by GdexFolami(m): 2:18am On Aug 11, 2016
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by ademiD(f): 7:11am On Aug 11, 2016
People need to be well informed....I love these
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by ImanuelJannah(m): 1:54pm On Aug 11, 2016
ademiD:
People need to be well informed....I love these
I think so too.
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by Ximonak: 10:11pm On Aug 11, 2016
FreeSpirited:
[b]Stop yarning dust. [/b]Every ignorant person wants you to believe he dropped out and still became a success....If you really understand the circumstances surrounding his dropping out you wont dare call him a drop out. For the record, he only dropped out on his on accord so as to pursue his dream and passion. Had he wanted to graduate he would have with flying colors.

Must you insult to prove a point?
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by eistien(m): 10:19pm On Aug 11, 2016
Well said, education is essential no matter the state of the country.
Re: Why I Dropped Out Of School - Bill Gates by FreeSpirited: 10:33pm On Aug 11, 2016
Ximonak:

Must you insult to prove a point?
Where is the insult??.....i hope its not 'yarning dust'?

(1) (Reply)

CCTV Surveillance Installation For Schools. / University Of Ibadan, Ibadan Notice On The Resumption Of Academic Activities / The Face Of Scammers On Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.