Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,205 members, 7,849,722 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:40 AM

Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds... - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds... (1484 Views)

Seedworld For All Your Hybrid Seeds / Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds / A Nairalander 's Mustard Seeds Farm And His Harvest (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds... by naijaracist(m): 4:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
The 26 Fabulous Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds

When you think of the word ‘mustard” what is the first thing that pops into your mind?

If you are American that lovely yellow line across your hot dog. If you are English maybe a teaspoon of some gorgeous whole grain mustard, Dijon, or just english mustard along with your roast dinner.

As soon as you add the word “seed” then it takes on a completely different meaning. So for me, it’s these seriously tiny popping wonders you use in Indian cooking. Some recipes call for the seeds to be added to hot oil, wait till they pop (and they do) before adding the rest of the spices or before you begin to fry any of other ingredients.

Where Do Mustard Seeds Come From?

The mustard plant that the seeds come from is actually a vegetable related to broccoli, sprouts and cabbage.

That might be the reason why some cabbage that you get in the markets and supermarkets have a slight mustardy taste.

Mustard seeds that are used in cooking come from an assortment of mustard plants. There are actually about 40 different varieties of mustard plants. The main types of mustard seeds used in cooking are:

Black Mustard Seeds
White Mustard Seeds
Brown Mustard Seeds

Back mustard seeds are the most pungent in flavour and taste and are the type of seeds used in the Indian recipes I write about. White mustard seeds are not actually white but are yellow in colour and are used to make yellow mustard. Brown mustard seeds have a acrid taste and are used to make Dijon mustard.

What Are Mustard Seeds Used For?

As with most spices mustard seeds have been used for thousands of years both for culinary and medicinal purposes.

Mustard seeds have been used in Europe, Asia, the Middle East and the Mediterranean.

Refereed to in the New Testament in the parable of the mustard seeds these tiny spheres symbolise the Kingdom of God. However, this is not the first reference to mustard seeds that has been recored in writing.

Mustard seeds also comes in a Sanskrit writing concerning Buddha in the fifth century BC when a grieving mother takes her dead son to Buddha to bring him back to life.

The ancient Greeks used mustard seeds in cooking but I think it was the Romans who started to grind the seeds into a paste to make mustard as we commonly know it.

In India mustard seeds are know in Hindi as “sarson” and when used in Indian recipes and cooking they are sometimes roasted until they pop. These tiny little black seeds do tend to go all over the place if dropped by accident, as I have done and are quite a bother to pick up.

I wonder if this is the reason that Sarsons’ named their company Sarsons? Answers on an e-mail please.

If you plant mustard seeds they germinate quickly and can grow in hot and colder climates. My memory of school days when we were learning about germination and plant growth, tiny mustard seeds were put into a tupperware container on top of a damp cotton wool and “viola!” – you have almost immediate sprouting over night. Though they do tend to stink this is such a great little science project to do with your little ones.

In my continued research into how great spices are for you here is the run down for mustard seeds. The health benefits of mustard seeds are just incredible and there is obviously good reason to add these tiny little seeds to your diet.

Again I will repeat as I have done on all my posts about the individual health benefits derived from each spice. I am not a health practitioner, nutritionist or medical professional. Please consult one you are have any doubt incorporating spices to your every day diet or would like to try out the home remedies.

My intention in writing the blogs about the health benefits of spices is because I do believe in alternative and home remedies and know for a fact that spices have been used to help and cure so many ailments way before pharmaceutical drugs came into play.

The Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds

Mustard seeds are an excellent source of:

Omega-3 Fatty Acids
Manganese
Phosphorus
Copper
Vitamin B1

They are also a great source of fiber, phyto-nutrients, essential oils and anti-oxidants.

1. Cancer – Mustard seeds contain chemicals that studies have show to have anti-cancer effects and can help inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
2. Asthma – Mustard seeds are an excellent source of selenium which has been shown to help asthma suffers.
3. Rheumatoid Arthritis – The selenium that comes from mustard seeds can also help decrease the symptoms of arthritis.
4. High Blood Pressure – Rich in magnesium mustard seeds can help with lowering your blood pressure.
5. Atherosclerosis or Heart Disease – Mustard seeds can help reduce or lower the risk of getting a heart attack if you suffer from atherosclerosis or diabetic heart disease and also helps reduce hypertension.
6. Migraines – Mustard seeds can help if you have a migraine by boosting the levels of magnesium in your body.
7. Respiratory Congestion – Mustard seeds may help relieve congestion if you are suffering from a respiratory problem.
10. Your immune System – Due to the high levels of elemental minerals in mustard seeds they can help improve your bodies ability to fight decease.
11. Digestion – A great source of fiber mustard seeds can help improve your bodies digestion and your bowl movements.
12. Menopause – High with minerals and selenium mustard seeds can help if you are suffering from menopause.
13. Weight Loss – The B-Vitamins in mustard seeds can help improve your metabolism and a result could be weight loss.
14. Ageing – The vitamins, minerals and anti-tioxidants in mustard seeds can help slow the ageing process.
15. Cholesterol – With high levels of niacin mustard seeds are fantastic if you want to lower your bodies levels of cholesterol.
16. Constipation & Piles – Mustard seeds contain mucilage which can help relieve constipation and piles.
17. Skin Infections – Mustard seeds are packed with sulphur which is great for combating skin infections as they have anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
18. Colds – Mustard is often used to relive congestion cause by bad cough or cold.
19. Muscle and Back Pain – The extract of mustard seeds is useful in relieving spasms, muscle and back pain. Stiff muscles or sore and aching muscles can be treated with mustard seeds too. Add a table spook of mustard seed powder to a tub of warm water and soak yourself into this and relax.

Skin Benefits Of Mustard Seeds

20. Natural scrub: Mustard seeds are a natural scrub. You can add it to either lavender or rose essential oil. Use this mix to scrub your face and exfoliate dead skin.

21. Hydrates skin: Mustard seeds, used with aloe vera gel, can act as a great combination to hydrate your skin. It removes all impurities from your face and nourishes it from within.

22. Slows ageing: Mustard seeds make for a great source of carotene and lutein. It is also a great power house of vitamin A, C and K. Together these nutrients make for an excellent antioxidant.

23. Fights infections: These seeds contain a good amount of sulphur which is known for its anti-fungal properties. They help ward off skin infections.

Hair Benefits Of Mustard Seeds

24. Hair growth: Mustard oil, extracted from mustard seeds, is a good source of Vitamin A. Vitamin A is a great nutrient for hair growth. It is also a great stimulant which leads to faster hair growth.

25. Strengthens hair: Mustard seeds contain protein, calcium, vitamin A and E, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. All of these together strengthen your hair from within.

26. Conditions hair: Mustard seeds contain fatty acids. These are known to condition your hair from deep within. It also gives hair a good shine and bounce.

Summing Up

Spices are incredibly good for you for a whole heap of reasons and adding a little of these super foods to your everyday diet will help keep your body and mind in great shape.

If you like what you have read please share, if you have any comments drop me a line, if you yourself have used any of the spices as an alternative to helping treat or cure any ailment I would love to know from you if it has worked and how you have used it.

On the whole cooking Indian food regularly or incorporating spices into your food is just great for you as you get a tiny bit of each of their goodness whenever you eat.

SOURCE: http://thepicantekitchen.co.uk/health-benefits-of-mustard-seeds/

Re: Health Benefits Of Mustard Seeds... by divineappo(m): 6:06pm On Aug 10, 2016
We have mustard seed for sale. If you need to buy. Call 09095500809

(1) (Reply)

Catfish Smoking Kiln / Hybrid Maize Seed / Coconut Farming

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.