Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem (4226 Views)

Afco To Provide 5.5 Million Housing Units To Nigerians / Anambra Govt, Topwide Ventures To End Housing Problem In Awka / Prices Of Apartments Of The Lagos State Housing Mortgage Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by gtsystems: 5:40am On Aug 13, 2016
PRESIDEBNT Muhammadu Buhari has reiterated his administration’s commitment towards addressing housing problem in the country, just as the Shelter Afrique raised alarm over looming crisis in housing sector in Africa. The President stated that for the government to avert housing crisis in Nigeria by the year 2020, it had kicked start the process by earmarking N40b in this year’s capital budget for a comprehensive housing programme for the low income earners in the country, while still retaining housing standard. Buhari, who declared open the 35th Annual General Meeting AGM, of Shelter Afrique tagged ‘Housing Africa’s Low Income Urban Population’, in Abuja, however, agreed that government alone could not solve the problem in the human settlement sector without the involvement of the private sector. Represented by the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Mallam Muhammed Bello, the President said; “We are therefore very much convinced of the catalytic development potential of the housing sector and has accordingly earmarked N40 billion in the 2016 capital budget to implement a comprehensive housing programme in Nigeria. “Nigeria with a population of about 170 million people and an annual population growth rate of 3.5 percent requires an additional one million housing units per annul to reduce much acclaimed national deficit of 17 million housing units in order to avert a housing crisis by the year 2020.” Quality and affordable houses In his remarks, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN, identified planning as the first key to the roadmap of providing quality and affordable houses in the country, while outlining the roadmap of his Ministry to achieving a sustainable Housing delivery. He said it was not only necessary but expedient to embark on proper planning to meet the real demand of the majority of Nigerians in housing, adding that it is the key to project completion, cost control and reduction in variation requests as well as financial calculations. The Minister noted that Nigeria never had housing plan, as the country’s National Housing Policy was only a mere Policy Statement, not a plan, He adding that his Ministry was currently developing the needed plan to make the housing policy a reality. “We must never tire to explain the necessity and importance of proper planning. It is the key to successful execution, it is the key to project completion, it is the key to cost control and reduction in variation requests and financial calculations. “I acknowledge that there is, for example, a National Housing Policy of 2012. Some have chosen to call it a plan. To the extent that it is a broad statement of intent about providing housing, it is a policy statement,” he said. Fashola further explained that the plan requires “a clear understanding of who we want to provide housing for, and I recognize that there are people who want land to build for themselves, there are also people who want town houses and duplexes, whether detached or semi-detached”, pointing out that this category of people were not in the majority. According to him, “The people who we must focus on are those in the majority and those who are most vulnerable; the people who are in the bracket of those who graduated from University about five years ago and more. People who are in the income bracket of grade level 9 to 15 in the public service and their counterparts, taxi drivers, market men and women, farmers, artisans who earn the same range of income.” The Managing Director, Shelter Afriques, Dr. James Mugawa said the current situation in the African continent regarding housing problem calls for concern, which all leaders in the continent must give a priority to. “It is no secret that there are huge housing deficits across the continent, in Nigeria alone, it is estimated at a whopping 17 million units and could be more once current data is made available. In nearby Ghana an estimated 170,000 housing units are required every year over the next 10 years. “In Kenya doesn’t fare any better with the deficit estimated at 2 million houses over the next 10 years. These estimates however assume that the population will remain static, and from what we can see, it will not.’

read more from http://naijapropertiesonline.com/fg-reiterates-determination-to-address-housing-problem/
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by thewatcher2020: 6:06am On Aug 13, 2016
Housing problem in Nigeria is a major problem, granted. The problem I've got with this post and a similar post where "FG is set to release N100 billion for capital project is the fact that this government is conspicuously silent on Education and Health sector.

“The funds are for power, works, housing, transportation, defence and agriculture. “

There lies the problem. All I can see from this is that the government is more interested in refunding the funds spent by sponsors of the election. The Health & Educational sector is not a priority to this government! Very sad. Nigeria needs a government that is more interested in paying due attention to this critical sector of the nation.

People need access to good education and health. The government should be ready to make visible spendings on this sector since the PPP option as implemented in the west is still a self-enrichment option for some few elites here in Nigeria, Case study- Lekki Concession Company. Hence the government should be fully alive to its responsibilities in providing the needed attention for the decaying Educational and Health infrastructures across the country.

4 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by adedam007(m): 6:13am On Aug 13, 2016
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by kindnyce(m): 6:14am On Aug 13, 2016
Just IMPLEMENT IT
WE ARE TIRED OF WE WILL,WE SHALL

LETS HEAR WE HAVE

6 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by IDmina10: 6:21am On Aug 13, 2016
confused set of felas

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by gist4kidsblog: 6:22am On Aug 13, 2016
shocked shocked shocked

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Nobody: 6:29am On Aug 13, 2016
Reiterates... OK o
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by vykte(m): 6:33am On Aug 13, 2016
Pls we need food first... Give us house later... APC sef... Campaigning while in office. Pls just do whatever you want to do. We have heard enough of the promises and plans.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Exponental(m): 6:40am On Aug 13, 2016
Ensure you build houses like Jakande Estates and make it " 'Low Cost' Housing Estate ". Unfortunately you didn't do that as a governor but you can go back and learn from Baba Jakande's innovation.
Also, ban omo onile.....Make it a crime for street urchins to harass builders.

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Nobody: 6:58am On Aug 13, 2016
My problem with mass housing schemes...

Who is going to pay for them?

Thing is....I spend 10million to build a one room house, and then I just hand it over to new owners without them paying anything for it?

I am not a fan of mass housing.Somehow.....it must be paid for. And right now....no money for it.

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by slap1(m): 7:09am On Aug 13, 2016
Government of future impossible tense. The ones you promised, you haven't fulfilled them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by DAVEZONIGLTD: 7:10am On Aug 13, 2016
Houses for us all soon.
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by NavierStokes(m): 7:13am On Aug 13, 2016
APC is plagued with "shifting goal post" syndrome.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Izonpikin: 7:31am On Aug 13, 2016
Standardize our minimum wage and create a mortgage plan that can enable individuals pay up house loans over a long period of time..nonsense

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by delishpot: 8:10am On Aug 13, 2016
Na long Legs dem go still use share that house to their own supporters and relatives.
This is not a proper long term plan.

I will enter to benefit from this. I will encourage people I know to do same. Some with long legs and some with none. Let me see how it goes. When they start, I will follow.

Izonpikin:
Standardize our minimum wage and create a mortgage plan that can enable individuals pay up house loans over a long period of time..nonsense

Good thinking . This will increase interests from workers. As they can take a shot at owning properties. Also the mortgage system will help many non governmental workers to register their businesses(thereby increasing tax returns for govt) so that they can legally prove income and be eligible for the housing scheme services provided by banks. It will stimulate developers to start building low cost residential buildings that employed people can afford too.

3 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Izonpikin: 8:22am On Aug 13, 2016
delishpot:
Na long Legs dem go still use share that house to their own supporters and relatives.
This is not a proper long term plan.

I will enter to benefit from this. I will encourage people I know to do same. Some with long legs and some with none. Let me see how it goes. When they start, I will follow.

Good thinking . This will increase interests from workers. As they can take a shot at owning properties. Also the mortgage system will help many non governmental workers to register their businesses so that they can legally prove income and be eligible for the housing scheme services provided by banks. It will stimulate developers to start building low cost residential buildings that employed people can afford too.
exactly...sometimes I wonder what our governments both past and present mean when they talk about housing...maybe they refer to the expensive houses built in lekki and ikoyi... angry

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by papaa4: 8:34am On Aug 13, 2016
Make dem solve d problem of poor masses b4 dey build house
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Standing5(m): 9:39am On Aug 13, 2016
Good move. House construction will help recycle wealth as it is one of the sectors where we dont import much capital.

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Zetra(m): 9:40am On Aug 13, 2016
Izonpikin:

best idea, why can't the government think of mortgage system in improving low cost housing?

but I guess the bank will not like such because they prefer quick profit

2 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Abeymills(m): 9:44am On Aug 13, 2016
Govt of lies
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by 100Cents: 10:11am On Aug 13, 2016
In the Nigerian context, only property investors will address housing problems..
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by delishpot: 11:46am On Aug 13, 2016
Zetra:

best idea, why can't the government think of mortgage system in improving low cost housing?

but I guess the bank will not like such because they prefer quick profit

Bank will. They just need to know that the customer can pay back without much chance of failure. Very simple. How I wish I know people who are into building construction. It would be nice to transform Naija into a place where many can afford decent homes.

3 Likes

Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Zetra(m): 12:38pm On Aug 13, 2016
delishpot:

Bank will. They just need to know that the customer can pay back without much chance of failure. Very simple. How I wish I know people who ate into building construction. It would be fun to transform Naija into a place where many can afford decent homes.

I hope so, till when we wakeup, but seriously I just wonder why our ministers can't think of Jetage ideas...
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by komekn(m): 2:21pm On Aug 13, 2016
Without a clear strategic vision, which creates clarity for policy and in turn quantifiable delivery outcomes.

This would create the platform for a spatial delivery programme reflective of current and projected demographics.

It's just rhetoric nothing else sorry.
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by slydog(m): 5:29pm On Aug 13, 2016
gist4kidsblog:
shocked shocked shocked

Are these made in Nigeria? What's d durability?
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 13, 2016
Ok good

Meanwhile...
Check my signature
Re: FG Reiterates Determination To Address Housing Problem by gist4kidsblog: 9:22pm On Aug 13, 2016
slydog:

Are these made in Nigeria? What's d durability?

import from south korea and new zealand 50yrs warranty

(1) (Reply)

Upvc Window Hardware And Upvc Door Hardware / Comfort Zone Gardens Lekki Scheme II, Okun Ajah, By Abraham Adesanya,eti Osa / Omonile Lawyer Land Verification Service ( Do Not Buy That Land Until We Verify)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.