Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,575 members, 7,955,120 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:30 PM

Whats The Case For Or Against Polygamy? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Whats The Case For Or Against Polygamy? (778 Views)

The Consequences Of Polygamy / Stop Using The Bible Against Polygamy / Nigerian Population Is 50% Muslim, 40% Christian, Whats The Other 10%? Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Whats The Case For Or Against Polygamy? by noetic4: 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2009
I have not seen anything in my bible that condemns polygamy. . . . yet there is a "Christian" perspective on polygamy.

This thread now invites all Christian brethren. . . . .whats ur take on polygamy?

is it biblical or is it unbiblical?. . . , . . .make bible references and dont play on my emotions. . .thank u.
Re: Whats The Case For Or Against Polygamy? by temodent(m): 5:28am On Sep 26, 2009
Well, neither do I see it supported in the new testament. However, one guiding principle here is that never have I seen any good done by polygamy rather there abounds cuntless harms that had been done by this practice, so why should any right thinking person then consider it. Remeber the bible say whatsoever thing are, whatsoever thing are of good report if there is any virtue think on this. A very good food for thought. Thank you.
Re: Whats The Case For Or Against Polygamy? by kolaxy(m): 5:46am On Sep 26, 2009
Polygamy Is Not Part of God's Plan for Marriage? It is a man-made 'thing'

When God created humans He instituted His plan for marriage: one man should have one wife. In Genesis 2:18 reads:
"And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him."
Verse 22 relates the creation of Eve, again showing that there was to be just one woman for each man. Verse 24 states:
"Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife; and they shall be one flesh."

The first mention of polygamy in the Bible is Genesis 4:19:
"And Lamech [a descendant of Cain] took unto him two wives, "

If there was ever a justification for polygamy it would seem to have been needed when Adam and Eve were to populate the earth. Yet we see the pattern of just one woman and one man.

The same pattern is carried out by Noah at the time of the Ark (Genesis 7:7). Noah took his one wife into the ark. Again, if polygamy were ordained of God, why didn't He tell Noah to take additional wives to repopulate the earth faster?

God instructed Moses that the kings of Israel were to have only one wife:
"Neither shall he multiply wives to himself, that his heart turn not away." Deut. 17:17
This is exactly what happened with Solomon. We read in I Kings 11:4: "For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father."
David's heart was right with God because he did not turn to other gods, not because he practiced polygamy.

Some people will point to 2 Samuel 12:8 to prove that David's wives were approved by God. But that verse indicates that he inherited Saul's wives, not
that David actually married them by God's appointment. It was the custom of the time for the succeeding ruler to receive all of the prior ruler's property and women. This is not a proof that God intends people to practice polygamy. It is contrary to the pattern of marriage established with Adam and Eve and His instructions in Deuteronomy.

Just as divorce was permitted, so too was polygamy. But it does not represent God's will. In Matt. 19:3-9 the Pharisees asked Jesus about divorce and Jesus answered:
"Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
"And said, For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife; and the two shall be one flesh?
"Wherefore they are no more two, but one flesh."

The Pharisees then asked him why Moses allowed for divorce. Jesus answered:
"Moses because of the hardness of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so" (Matt.19:7).

In the New Testament the practice of polygamy would have kept a man from leadership in the church. Paul instructed Timothy:
"A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, " (I Tim.3:2)

There are many other examples in the Bible wink

(1) (Reply)

Rccg 2009 Holy Ghost Congress / God Is Not A Liar / God's Message To The People Of Haiti:the Foundation Of Haiti Is Demonic

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.