Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,694 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:54 PM

Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student (3518 Views)

Customer Destroys His N61m Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG With A Golf Club / With 200k Can I Get A Golf 3 In Good Condition? / A Golf 3 GT, Good Or Bad Car. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by geraldgiz(m): 5:40pm On Aug 14, 2016
Hey guys,pls I need some expert advice on which brand to go for between a 1988 Toyota Camry and Volkswagen Golf 3 for my programme in school.Which is more user friendly and easier to maintain. Thanks so much

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by peterjero(m): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2016
The Toyota Camry 1988 with the 3S FE engine is the best thing I have ever used, the car is eleven years with us and I still throttle it to 180kmh when I want to be naughty. I love that car more than my benz w202.

2 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by peterjero(m): 6:57pm On Aug 14, 2016
The golf which another very good car can't really match that spec of Camry in terms of reliability and suspension strength, but a good golf driver will smoke you on the road while racing, the camry is too easy to maintain (I mean that spec)
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by honmusa(m): 7:14pm On Aug 14, 2016
geraldgiz:
Hey guys,pls I need some expert advice on which brand to go for between a 1988 Toyota Camry and Volkswagen Golf 3 for my programme in school.Which is more user friendly and easier to maintain. Thanks so much
Neither is a good choice cos this are obd1 technology car it will be difficult to troubleshoot in time of issue.
Any car u go for ,let obd2 compliance be a requirement as this will save you a lot of guess work if issue arises.
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by geraldgiz(m): 7:20pm On Aug 14, 2016
honmusa:

Neither is a good choice cos this are obd1 technology car it will be difficult to troubleshoot in time of issue.
Any car u go for ,let obd2 compliance be a requirement as this will save you a lot of guess work if issue arises.
pls what is obd2 bro
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by honmusa(m): 8:29pm On Aug 14, 2016
geraldgiz:
pls what is obd2 bro
Obd which stand for onboard-diagnotics is an automotive terms which refers to self diagnotics and self reporting capabilities of issue by the car itself .Which means late model cars have inbuilt computer system that can check themselves for faults and give accurate status report from time to time .This capabilities greatly reduced a technicians works to a large extent when troubleshooting for faults.
However Obd has been upgraded from the less functions enhanced obd1 to obd2 which is much more sophisticated with different components eg Generic current DTC , live data ,freeze,VIN read etc
Obd2 compliant cars mainly includes cars manufactured for US market from late 1995 till date while the European counterpar did not start the implementation until around 2000-2001 .

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by diportivo: 8:02am On Aug 15, 2016
U av stated 2 choices...maybe cos that's what is within ur budget

Jejely do the golf3.....

Thank me later

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by nurey(m): 9:27am On Aug 15, 2016
peterjero:
The Toyota Camry 1988 with the 3S FE engine is the best thing I have ever used, the car is eleven years with us and I still throttle it to 180kmh when I want to be naughty. I love that car more than my benz w202.

The car may be good as you have said, but you didn't put something in mind, I doubt if the op would get a tokunbo of the camry, a Nigerian used 1988 camry is abused and is a walking casket.

I go with golf 3, which is more recent out of the two, equally rugged and more fuel economical (1.6L) engine.
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by Fogman(m): 10:47am On Aug 15, 2016
Without wasting time, please go for Golf 3, it is more modern and has a better resell value,
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by peterjero(m): 9:43pm On Aug 15, 2016
nurey:

The car may be good as you have said, but you didn't put something in mind, I doubt if the op would get a tokunbo of the camry, a Nigerian used 1988 camry is abused and is a walking casket.

I go with golf 3, which is more recent out of the two, equally rugged and more fuel economical (1.6L) engine.
the golf 3 no doubt is a good car but I would rather he goes for the 1.8l reasons are that it would withstand more stress. The camry 3sfe is available in Benin I saw 2 recently on sapele road and I believe they would still be there becuse yiu cant take the benz love from 5hose guys in Benin, it also rub off on me too.
PS : everything on the golf 3 you would get it on the camry and more, and did I tell you the AC still works after been with a Nigerian owner for eleven years without touching it. That's how rugged that breed of Camry is, you won't understand until you have one.
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by Oluwamuyeewa(m): 1:34am On Aug 16, 2016
geraldgiz:

Are you buying a car or collecting artifacts ?

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by ogawisdom(m): 10:47am On Aug 16, 2016
Do u really need a car as a student? Hope u ve a running biz or investment to maintain it. If u insist go with golf 3, d Camry is too old to be considered n looks like sth to b fd in museums angry

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by Nobody: 12:38am On Aug 19, 2016
i will say u should go for the camry:
1)Its very reliable
2)fuel economy is good
3)easy to maintain
4)Its nt a problematic car
5)It has more space than the golf3.a tall person will find himself in a trap,if he seats at the back seat of a golf 3 and he will have to adjust the driver seat if he is going to drive that car
Note:i know dis for sure because my mum had that kind of camry(tho hers was a station wagon)...we enjoyed the car till
we sold it,even before we sold it we didnt have problem with it,it was sold for selling sake......the golf on the oda hand:
1)small
2)not spacious
3)that particular generation of golf develops one kind a noise from the engine after being used for a while
Note:I am saying this cos i no,my cousins dad had the car(also in station wagon format)
4)i stand to be corrected on dis,the golf 3 is problematic

3 Likes

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by peterjero(m): 3:37am On Aug 19, 2016
People saying artifact for the camry, haba people still drive older cars in this country and are satisfied with what they drive, after all its more prestigious to drive an older car with all functioning accessories because it shows class and depicts one been very meticulous and careful. Golf 3 has weak shocks, bad sound after just one year of use, bad kickstarter, but engine is good. The Toyota on the other will never fail and very easy to troubleshoot. Ask GAZZUZZ if it's all the time he uses scanner.
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by Exponental(m): 7:44pm On Aug 20, 2016
I will go for the golf3. More modern, parts are more available and more afteruse marketable.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by dharrey2012: 2:00pm On Aug 23, 2016
I drive a Golf3 which I bought during my masters programme, naija used, from a nairalander.
As far as am concerned, I have not had any issue with the car since I bought it four months ago, infact, it sounds so cool and I have done 10,000km in that short time. (I travel to different southwestern states almost every weekend from Ibadan)

I believe the toyota will be great too, because I have had stories about it. I just want to correct notions by some people here that golf3 has this problem or the other, its a simple car, that handles well on the road.

Just ensure you do proper inspection before buying either of the two cars, they are great choices!

1 Like

Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by Bukola94: 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2023
nurey:

I agreed with you on Golf3, but will you also advice someone go for golf 4 2004 or 06 because of more recent out of 2003 0r 2004 Toyota Camry ?
Re: Toyota Camry 1988 Or A Golf 3 ,which Should I Go For As An Msc Student by nurey(m): 4:51pm On Nov 27, 2023
Bukola94:
I agreed with you on Golf3, but will you also advice someone go for golf 4 2004 or 06 because of more recent out of 2003 0r 2004 Toyota Camry ?

If that's your Choice. Golf 4 is good on gas but he dey get minor electrical issue

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Rent A Vintage Car For A Wedding? / Engine Cost Of Mercedes C300 2013 / Cars And Stars: With Taiwo Onalaja.....What Do You Think?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.