Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,570 members, 7,820,051 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:05 AM

Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch (778 Views)

Do You Need A Web Designer With CSS style Experience? / Popular Nigerian Blogger Bag Blogger Of The Year Award 2017 / Comrade Itodje Bags Africa Icon Most Supportive Blogger Of The Year Award (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Neddstark: 7:50am On Aug 16, 2016
Afeez Hanafi

The police in Lagos have arraigned a website designer, Ikechukwu Iwezor, in an Igbosere Magistrate’s Court for allegedly defrauding a blogger to the tune of N1.7m.

The 28-year-old Iwezor was brought before the magistrate, Mrs. F.F. George, on Monday on three counts of fraud.

The police said Iwezor and the blogger, Ola Akinlayo, met on Nairaland, a social media platform, sometime in September 2015, and started a discussion on website designs.

PUNCH Metro learnt that after reaching an agreement, Iwezor obtained N1.7m from the blogger for the purpose of designing a website for him.

Iwezor, however, reportedly fled to Abuja after the payment.

Akinlayo was said to have reported the matter to the police after efforts to get his money back proved abortive.

Our correspondent learnt that Iwezor was subsequently apprehended at Sauka, Abuja.

A police prosecutor, Sergeant Innocent Odugbo, who arraigned him on three counts of conspiracy, obtaining money under false pretences and stealing, told the court that the offences were punishable under sections 409, 312 (2) and 285 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2011.

The charges read in part, “That you, Ikechukwu Iwezor, between September 2015 and April 8, 2016 in Lagos, within the Lagos Magisterial District, did commit felony to wit: stealing and obtaining money under false pretences.

“That you, with an intent to defraud, did obtain the sum of N1.7m from one Ola Akinlayo, on the pretext of helping him to design a website, a representation you knew to be false.”

The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charges.

His counsel, Danielle Abbe, prayed the court to grant him bail on liberal terms, adding that he was innocent until proved guilty.

The presiding magistrate granted the defendant bail in the sum of N300,000, with two sureties in like sum.

She added that the sureties must show evidence of three years tax clearance and present their addresses to the prosecutor for verification.

http://punchng.com/web-designer-defrauds-man-n1-7m-nairaland/

1 Like

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by TRADELYN: 7:55am On Aug 16, 2016
embarassed
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by kossyablaze(m): 7:57am On Aug 16, 2016
Source?
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by jaymejate: 8:01am On Aug 16, 2016
Picture, evidence and source!

Seun no go want him name and forum spoil

1 Like

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by ReneeNuttall(f): 8:06am On Aug 16, 2016
This can't be true
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by ikbnice(m): 8:07am On Aug 16, 2016
Chai
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by project8(m): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2016
see d guy name sef

1 Like

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Seun(m): 8:09am On Aug 16, 2016
They met on Nairaland according to the story, but the fraud didn't happen on Nairaland. It's very important to keep that in mind. Let's be careful and smart when conducting business with people we met online. Don't pay huge amounts of money for services you have not received.

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by D34lw4p(m): 8:12am On Aug 16, 2016
Seun:
They met on Nairaland according to the story, but the fraud didn't happen on Nairaland. It's very important to keep that in mind. Let's be careful and smart when conducting business with people we met online. Don't pay huge amounts of money for a service you have not received.
My guy, so you believe this story? What type of website are they paying 1.7million for? Even if its up to that the first payment should be atleast a 50% of it, then after the completion of the project, he can pay the balance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by DoyenExchange: 8:17am On Aug 16, 2016
It could be true but the 'source' would have made the news complete.
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Acidosis(m): 8:32am On Aug 16, 2016
The report has nothing to do with Nairaland.

Anybody can meet anywhere, however, the mode of transaction is KEY.

Nairaland is like Punch Newspaper, CNN, Aljazeera, or NTA, where anybody (including a ghost) can pay the media house to air an advertisement. It is the discretion of a buyer to conduct a due diligence before embarking on any transaction. Hence, it would be f00lish of me of blame Channels Television over an expired Ribena drink just because I watched a 2 min ad on the platform.

But couldn't the reporters name the bank where money was paid to? Of course, they wont, a thief can own a bank account, ask the politicians. A thief can also own a Nairaland account.

It is nobody's business really, do your due diligence, and make sure you have a plan to NAIL a service provider or seller should he/she turns out to be a criminal. The so called Web designer in this case has met his waterloo, I would end his career in the same manner, if such treatment is given to my hard earned money.

Meanwhile, his contact details (websites, if any) should all be published to the public.

It is not so difficult to pinpoint a fishy web design advert. I've seen some of them on this forum. After posting long stories, you find out that they don't even have a single blog, yet they promise to deliver you a Konga- , Jumia- like e-commerce website.

They don't have past records/credits, someone who promise a Konga website should at least have 3-4 up and running jobs, credible, and identifiable past clients/works.

It is not so difficult to identify a potential criminal in Nigeria.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by JeffreyJamez(m): 8:46am On Aug 16, 2016
D34lw4p:
My guy, so you believe this story? What type of website are they paying 1.7million for? Even if its up to that the first payment should be atleast a 50% of it, then after the completion of the project, he can pay the balance.

It's not even a website, it's a blog!... For 1.7million!!......this story no follow abeg.

Who would pay 1.7million for blog?!
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by BJAYADEMOLA(m): 8:51am On Aug 16, 2016
1.7million naira for design.
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Neddstark: 9:38am On Aug 16, 2016
Seun:
They met on Nairaland according to the story, but the fraud didn't happen on Nairaland. It's very important to keep that in mind. Let's be careful and smart when conducting business with people we met online. Don't pay huge amounts of money for services you have not received.

True talk. I have gained 2 fulltime jobs on Nairaland. Worked for 3 years through these jobs
I have also gotten 4 freelance jobs too as a web developer on Nairaland. My clients still reckon to me.
Your point is valid. Just like scammers are on Nairaland doesn't mean Nairaland is a scamcenter, same with Olx, Jiji, Flingit.ng, etc.
My only annoyance with you Seun is "WHY DID YOU CHANGE THE REAL TOPIC OF THE ARTICLE?" lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
It doesn't put Nairaland in bad light. It just alerts people to be more careful.
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Mattizzy(m): 10:15am On Aug 16, 2016
NIGERIANS! Why are you so... I don't know what to categorise NIGERIANS, not all of them. Remember nairaland's Disclaimer at the bottom of the site. "You are responsible for what you post and do in nairaland and Nairaland have nothing to do with it" . Scammers are known as FOOLS who will never prosper until they ask for forgiveness.

I don't know what to believe, but for and individual to pay a million for web design is MADNESS, he must be extremely rish because with 2k, 5k, 10, 20k, 30k, 40k, 50k, you can get the best website. But 500k, 1mill. That one has passed MADNESS, its STUPIDITY.

Stop including Nairaland on any scam that happen here PLEASE! You all made Nairaland like this, if there were no SCAMMERS, Nairaland would have become the best place to advertise your business and you will earn. But now your Business on nairaland has no comment.

The only person that can save us!
cc: @GOD
cc: @JESUS
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Rilwayne001: 10:21am On Aug 16, 2016
NCAN' reporting lipsrsealed
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by Alhajipablo(m): 11:34am On Aug 16, 2016
NCAN Zimbabwe branch reporting live on Nairaland t v
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by yomalex(m): 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2016
wow this is...
Re: Web Designer Defrauds Blogger Of N1.7m - Punch by semasir: 5:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
Mumu time Mumu....... The highest web design job I've gotten only pays ₦25000 per month then for a dedicated server hosting and never cost a bag of cement to even build aside the theme!

Let alone a blogger theme not even a WP (which I presume it'll be).

In this era of ₦7000 web designers he's still fooled to pay this irrational amount??

The guy really jazz him wella

(1) (Reply)

How To Make Your Blog Visible On Google Search / Ur Website Isnt Approved By Google Ads & U Wanna Make Money ? Get In Here / Ultimate Cycler Nigeria-you Can Now Login Into Your Ultimate Cycler Account

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.