Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? (3098 Views)

How Much Is Intel(r) Core (tm)2 Duo Cpu P8700. 2gb / Dell D 600 Battery For D 610, Will It Work? / Is Intel Pentium N3520 Processor Dual Core? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 8:39pm On Aug 16, 2016
Most times when we want to buy a laptop, especially those of us who makes our buying decisions based purely on clock speed, we usually get confused seeing something like:

clock speed: 1.80GHz (turbo boost up to 2.80GHz)

This post is to put more clarification to the above expression

WHAT IS CLOCK SPEED?
Simply put, the GHz figure you'll see represents the number of clock cycles (calculations) a processor can manage in a second. For example, 3.6GHz means 3,600,000,000 clock cycles in a second. This figure should never be used to compare processors from different families, generations or manufacturers, however. And most importantly, Bigger is not always better. This is where turbo boost comes in

WHAT IS TURBO BOOST

Turbo Boost is a technology introduced by Intel to dynamically increase the clock speed of processors when more power is required. This means that the chip can draw less power, produce less heat (most of the time) and only boost when it needs to.

Turbo Boost means that the clock frequency figures written on the box of your laptop is misleading. For example, you'll think a Core i3 processor with clock speed of 2.5GHz will be faster than the core i5 with clock speed of 1.80GHz with turbo boost up to 2.80GHz because Intel still advertises their laptops in base speeds which means, on the box of the core i5, it'll be written 1.80GHz only.

HOW DOES TURBO BOOST WORK?
Intel Turbo Boost monitors the current usage of a processor to determine how close the processor is to the maximum thermal design power, or TDP. The TDP is the maximum amount of power the processor is supposed to use. If the processor sees that it is operating well within limits, Turbo Boost kicks in.

Turbo Boost is a dynamic feature. There is no set-in-stone speed which the processor will reach when in Turbo Boost. Turbo Boost operates in 133Mhz increments and will scale up until it either reaches the maximum Turbo Boost allowed (which is determined by the model of processor) or until it balances your current work load on the processor. For example, the Core i5 with a base clock speed of 1.80GHz, if given a higher work load, will continue to increase by 133Mhz till it balances the work load or till it reaches the maximum turbo boost (2.80GHz).

AMD's RESPONSE
It'll be worthy to note that with the release of the six-core AMD processors, such as the Phenom II X6 1090T, AMD has introduced a similar feature called Turbo Core. Turbo Core isn’t as advanced as Intel’s Turbo Boost, but it is a clear sign of the direction processors will be taking in the future as the feature seemed to have improved greatly with the AMD A-series processors.

WHY TURBO BOOST ROCKS
Despite Turbo Boost’s lack of predictability, it is still an excellent feature. It provides a solution to the problem of compromising between a powerful PC that generates heat with a short battery life and an average PC with less heat and long battery life. With turbo boost, you can get both in one PC. For example the core i5 processor mentioned above will continue to operate with a speed of 1.80GHz, using less power and generating less heat. It will only increase when the processor demands and will go down immediately the work load reduces.

MY ADVICE
If you are buying a PC for the processing power, always go for the ones with low base clock speed but high turbo boost than going for the ones with a standard high clock speed. For example go with the one of 1.80GHz with turbo boost up to 2.80GHz than going for the one with a standard 2.5GHz.

The one with 1.80GHz will save power and generate less heat and will only increase speed if needed. You wouldn't want your laptop to be running at 2.5GHz while you're just watching a movie or typing a document.

SOURCE 1
SOURCE 2
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 8:59pm On Aug 16, 2016
You can ask your computer related questions on this thread as well smiley
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Kingsasian(m): 9:30pm On Aug 16, 2016
Thanks op for the info. My question is this, is the turbo boost an app?
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Nduxx(m): 10:19pm On Aug 16, 2016
computerboy:
You can ask your computer related questions on this thread as well smiley

Is it any type of system that can be upgrade ? Can you upgrade an Intel Core 2 Duo to Intel Core i3,i5 or i7? Or is there any requirement?
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Lexusgs430: 12:25am On Aug 17, 2016
Nduxx:

Is it any type of system that can be upgrade ? Can you upgrade an Intel Core 2 Duo to Intel Core i3,i5 or i7? Or is there any requirement?

From my lame knowledge of computers, upgrade is very possible.
You would simply have to buy another laptop with either an i3,i5 or i7.
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Nduxx(m): 1:24am On Aug 17, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Alright. Thanks man
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 10:09am On Aug 17, 2016
Nduxx:

There are many things you can upgrade in a laptop but the CPU isn't one of them. Why?
Different socket, different chipset, you have to change the entire motherboard to upgrade the CPU
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Nduxx(m): 10:11am On Aug 17, 2016
computerboy:

There are many things you can upgrade in a laptop but the CPU isn't one of them. Why?
Different socket, different chipset, you have to change the entire motherboard to upgrade the CPU
But it's possible abi?
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 10:12am On Aug 17, 2016
Kingsasian:
Thanks op for the info. My question is this, is the turbo boost an app?

No, It's a technology built into modern core processors. You don't need to activate it or do anything. If your processor has the technology it'll activate itself once it notices the CPU is working within limits
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 10:13am On Aug 17, 2016
Lexusgs430:

From my lame knowledge of computers, upgrade is very possible. You would simply have to buy another laptop with either an i3,i5 or i7.
cheesy Quite an upgrade

1 Like

Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 10:16am On Aug 17, 2016
Nduxx:

But it's possible abi?

It's possible but isn't worth it. For example, to upgrade the CPU of a pavilion dv6 from core2duo to core i5, you'll need to buy the motherboard of a pavilion dv6 with core i5 processor and switch it with yours.

Just like Lexus said, it's better you buy a new laptop with your required processor model.
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Nduxx(m): 8:17pm On Aug 17, 2016
computerboy:

It's possible but isn't worth it. For example, to upgrade the CPU of a pavilion dv6 from core2duo to core i5, you'll need to buy the motherboard of a pavilion dv6 with core i5 processor and switch it with yours.

Just like Lexus said, it's better you buy a new laptop with your required processor model.
Ok
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Kingsasian(m): 8:18pm On Aug 17, 2016
computerboy:

ok, thanks

No, It's a technology built into modern core processors. You don't need to activate it or do anything. If your processor has the technology it'll activate itself once it notices the CPU is working within limits
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by youngkhid(m): 4:31pm On Aug 22, 2016
Hw do u know your pc has turbo boost and hw do u check d change.
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Wiztek(m): 5:47pm On Aug 22, 2016
Lexusgs430:

You will need the name of the motherboard and chipset of the computer after that just Google the compatible cpus for the chipset an d then replace it with professional help
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Lexusgs430: 7:45pm On Aug 22, 2016
Wiztek:

You will need the name of the motherboard and chipset of the computer after that just Google the compatible cpus for the chipset an d then replace it with professional help

Why not simply buy an updated laptop to suit your taste? Have you factored in the cost of all this parts + labour (not forgetting the price to pay if things go wrong)?
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by Wiztek(m): 11:25pm On Aug 22, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Why not simply buy an updated laptop to suit your taste? Have you factored in the cost of all this parts + labour (not forgetting the price to pay if things go wrong)?
The choice is his actually but it's just an option and also nothing should go wrong as long as he gets the right parts and applies a good heat spreader to the processor he will be fine and he will also ser performance gains ....
However it is still up to the owner of he does not have money he should go for an option that is cheaper the parts shouldn't be too expensive but it's the availability he should worry about
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 11:40pm On Aug 22, 2016
youngkhid:
Hw do u know your pc has turbo boost and hw do u check d change.

Most core i5 and i7 laptops comes with turbo boost and it's enabled by default.

To check the change when turbo boost kicks in, you'll have to use the Intel turbo boost monitor on your system or download it if you don't have. It's a free utility from Intel
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by benueguy(m): 11:51am On Aug 23, 2016
Is it possible to increase my CPU speed? I run core i5 @2.64GHz
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 6:14pm On Aug 23, 2016
benueguy:
Is it possible to increase my CPU speed? I run core i5 @2.64GHz

Overclocking the CPU usually comes with high risk. If i may ask, why do you want to do that?
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by benueguy(m): 11:01pm On Aug 23, 2016
computerboy:

Overclocking the CPU usually comes with high risk. If i may ask, why do you want to do that?
I use it for music production. Can't carry my heavy plug-ins conveniently without crashing the program.
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by computerboy: 11:25pm On Aug 23, 2016
benueguy:

I use it for music production. Can't carry my heavy plug-ins conveniently without crashing the program.

It'll harm your motherboard on the long run. Buy 8gb/16gb ram and support the system.
Re: WHAT IS INTEL TURBO BOOST AND HOW DOES IT WORK? by benueguy(m): 8:07am On Aug 24, 2016
computerboy:

It'll harm your motherboard on the long run. Buy 8gb/16gb ram and support the system.
Alright. Thanks sir

(1) (Reply)

Intel Changing 'Intel Inside' Slogan To 'Leap Ahead' / How Do I Browse On My Laptop With My GLO BIS Plan..pls / Testing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.