Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,686 members, 7,820,393 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:09 PM

Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks (4784 Views)

Forbes Enlists Oscar Onyema, NSE Boss, In “10 Most Powerful Men In Africa” List / Nigerian Bank Stocks: Bull & Bear Case / Dangote Or First Bank - Stocks/shares (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Enjoyment1(f): 11:33am On Sep 27, 2009
The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr. Lamido Sanusi, last week had a town hall meeting with stockbrokers and members of the capital market community. Business Hallmark's OKEY ONYENWEAKU and OBINNA CHIMA present some of the issues highlighted by the Governor.

Introduction
We requested this audience so that we can address you directly and explain to you the background of the action taken by the CBN, where we are today and how we see the banks going forward. I want to assure that we have very optimistic views of the economy and of the market and that we hope to work together with the Council and Management of the NSE to find a solution to the problem that the economy is facing at the moment. But we must understand that there would be short term difficulties, however, the medium to long term outlook remains very positive.

The global financial crisis has been felt in Nigeria through low oil prices, a slump in capital inflow, pressure on foreign exchange reserve amongst others. The gross mismanagement and governance failure created another quality and liquidity problem among banks, exposing weaknesses in certain specific banks.

Previously in this country, banks distress was resolved by license revocation, followed by bank failure, leading to losses by depositors and shareholders. But I think it is extremely important for us to bear this in mind. We had institutions that were failing. What would have been done previously was to hand them over to the Nigerian Deposit Insurance Corporation (NDIC) and liquidate them. But what the CBN has done this time is to be proactive and anticipatory, representing a change in ongoing institutional reform efforts.  Our over-riding objective in embarking on reform in the banking sector is to promote a banking system that is sound, stable and efficient that would ensure a sound foundation for promoting sustainable economic activities. We need to do these by ensuring sound governance and management, adequate liquidity and robust Capital Adequacy. The five banks, in which we intervened, had a combination of all three. It wasn't just a case of being short of capital in which case you would just put in capital or give them time to increase capital. It wasn't just a case of liquidity problem in which case you give them liquidity support. It was a combination of lack of capital, lack of liquidity and lack of governance and therefore the institutions were in a grave situation.

The market
The capital market remains extremely important and central to the economy and nexus between banks and capital market in Nigeria in particular is very tight. Banking stocks make up over 67% of the stock Exchange's market capitalisation, which, in fact, is a major risk to the stock Exchange itself. In other parts of the world, the financial services account for about 25% of the market capitalisation. So, when you have one industry accounting for 70% of capitalisation, then when the industry sneezes, the rest of the market catches cold. Improved governance, transparency, disclosure and assets quality, are critical to the long-term growth and resilience of the capital market and we keep emphasizing these because people say these actions may shake confidence. In fact, these actions are the actions that would restore confidence. This is because confidence is installed when you have transparency, disclosure, ethics and professionalism. The capital market continues to play a major role in banking reform and the actions we have taken have provided a platform for the restoration of confidence and are in the interest of the sustainability and growth of the capital market. Our priority as the CBN in all our actions following our mandate naturally would be to safeguard the interest of depositors and creditors. But having said that, all stakeholders, including shareholders, would be treated in fair and transparent manner. The CBN would achieve its objective by acting within the boundaries of the Nigerian law. No action would be taken without having been reviewed appropriately. And we intend to reform the banking system in order to prevent a similar crisis from occurring in the future.

Banks' audit
The first phase of the examination was on 10 banks. There was already obviously a process of selection and these five had to be in the first batch. The 10  was not a magic number, it was the number we could handle because we had examiners from CBN and NDIC and we had to do a thorough job. These five banks were found to be in a grave situation and the CBN has a regulatory responsibility to place the banks on life support giving the potentials of systemic risk to protect the financial system. The result of the second phase of the remaining 14 banks would be announced shortly and we hope to announce our results by early October. I would say that the result of the 14 is much better than the result of the 10, which is much I can say. If a big bank has a problem and you don't take it out of the market, it would bring down other banks because the big bank, even if it is weak, is able to take market share from a small bank. What would happen is that the big bank would force a number of second- tier, first-tier banks into crisis because they have the clout to take away their market. They could offer higher rate of interest and they have the connection to take away the customers. 

Full disclosure
You know we talk about these margin loans. However, you structure them, we basically have two options. We can go the way the rest of the world has gone; if you have an exposure to the capital market and it has lost 70%, recognise the loss, capitalise the institutions and move forward. The second option is the Japanese option. And we all know what happened to Japan between 1989 and 1990. they had an assets bubble, the bubble burst, the banks did not pick the loss and Japan remained in recession for 20 years. Whether or not we like it, if there is a loss in the balance sheet, there is a hole in the balance sheet. It is bad news, but the earlier you recognise that this is bad news, come out with the worst case scenario, the better for the system and the more quickly we would come out of it. That is why the United States and Europe are coming out of recession now. They took the heat in October last year and if we had done this then, we would be talking about a different story today.

The new Managing Director/ Chief Executive Officers
The CEOs we have appointed are not appointed to liquidate the banks. They are appointed to turnaround the banks and turnaround the banks to profitability. Actually, I am surprised that people are selling those shares. If I were a shareholder in those banks, I would be buying more. We have replaced the CEOs of the five banks with competent Managers with experience and integrity. The mandate that they have is not to slow down or to liquidate, but to build and correct. We re-affirm the guarantee of local interbank to ensure continued liquidity for all banks, we guaranteed foreign creditors and correspondent banks' credit lines to ensure confidence and maintain important correspondent banking relationship. Don't believe any newspaper that says foreign banks are shutting down lines to Nigerian banks. Not a single correspondent bank has shut its line to a Nigerian bank. The CBN has no intention of nationalising the five banks or any other bank. If we had taken ordinary shares in those banks, we would have wiped out existing shareholders. We did not. In everything we did, we were looking at the long term. We did not want to address a short-term problem, and then come back later to deal with the long-term issue. Let me again clarify something; the CBN is not micro managing these banks. They have a Board, a Management and we are assisting them. We are giving them every support, but they are being managed by the CEOs and they have been given all the powers to run the institutions and bring them back to profitability. We have an ongoing correspondence with an international audit firm, to quantify the extent of the problem and the fact would be presented to stakeholders in due course.

Once more, I repeat, the CBN has not offered the banks to any one, the CBN has not discussed with any investor about these banks. Our priority is to make sure that these banks are safe, sound and strong and then ultimately, we can go to the next stage later.

However, the CBN would not allow these banks to go back to the same one- man structure that led them to where they are. So we would look for, and would advise the banks to look for appropriate core investors; local or foreign that would bring in the governance, system and the skill that would preserve the long term values of shareholders by building an institution. We must redesign the architecture of the Nigerian financial system. There is no bank CEO who should see it that he has a guaranteed job and can do what he likes any more.

Going forward, all banks licensed in Nigeria and continue to exist in Nigeria, must gear their minds towards turning themselves into institutions and not sole proprietorship. It is not enough for people to say they are bringing in money. We already have money in the banks; we are not looking for money. You must bring in governance, skills, ethics, and trusts and convince us that you can run an institution. That applies to these five banks and every other bank going forward.

If this economy is going to recover, we must understand that it is not just about money. Money is a simple matter, because, as you know, we print money.

http:///index.php/money_capital_market_markets_finance_corporate_banking_manufacturing_industry/2500.html
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Enjoyment1(f): 11:35am On Sep 27, 2009
Why wont people sell their shares, when N2million shares, is now worth N300,000, there is no solution in sight!
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by McKren(m): 11:45am On Sep 27, 2009
People are selling their stocks because you have destroyed confidence in market.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Beaf: 11:53am On Sep 27, 2009
Poor Sanusi!

He doesn't understand shocked shocked shocked He came in like a little Mussolini; exploding financial bombs here and there; but is surprised that there is a result.
Its what Nigeria gets for promoting mediocrity to high places.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by CrudeOil2(m): 12:02pm On Sep 27, 2009
I don't know why Northerners love retrogression and stagnation. WHY!!!
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Enjoyment1(f): 7:07pm On Sep 27, 2009
I must confess, not all of them are like that. Those that were born here and schooled in the southern part are far better. Their way of reason is totally different. But those up there, are nothing to write home about, as that ideology still remain unerased.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by bibiking1(m): 9:07pm On Sep 27, 2009
I think i am a bit worried by some of sanusi's reactions to facts and also his general outlook towards the post-restructuring banking sector.
He re-echoed a popular cliche about the banking sector accounting for about 70% of the market, and basically denounced this trend. He thereafter expressed no comment on the issue, no remedial suggestion
We all know the de-industrialisation of the economy is responsible for the financial sector taking up so much space in the stockmarket. With sanusi's new action banks have been forced to stop lending, further dampening the outlook of the nation's manufacturing sector getting to its knees from its current prostrate position.

I am also not too comfortable with sanusi's reticence on his plans (short and long) for the banking sector post-brouhaha.
How do we monitor the effect and impact of Sanusi's new children at the helm of affairs of these new banks? When his new CEO's fail to do that which they were hired for, what actions would and should be deemed necessary against them to avoid double standards?
There has to be a disciplined approach to lending to the manufacturing sector and not a no-lending situation we currently are witnessing.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Enjoyment1(f): 9:13pm On Sep 27, 2009
I will go with you 100 per cent!.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by sjeezy8: 9:16pm On Sep 27, 2009
is this guy foreal

for a second before i thought he was somewhat a sensible guy

very daft indeed- caused alarm and now we are seeing the after effects
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Enjoyment1(f): 9:24pm On Sep 27, 2009
May GOD save us from these politicians.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by SEFAGO(m): 1:22am On Sep 28, 2009
Sanusi is an IDIOT. Mallam should go back to cattle banking.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by dipo2much(m): 1:33am On Sep 28, 2009
This Sanusi guy is a joke.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by hbrednic: 3:05am On Sep 28, 2009
the guy may be good intentioned,but his undemocratic approache is the cause of the controversy.
what is the guarrantee that the CBN's apointed pupperts will be able to turn this banks around?
how can the banks make profit when they are not lending?
confidence in the system has been destroyed,it will take yrs+yrs to rebuild it.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by rasputinn(m): 4:11am On Sep 28, 2009
McKren:

People are selling their stocks because you have destroyed confidence in market.

sjeezy8:

is this guy foreal

for a second before i thought he was somewhat a sensible guy

very daft indeed- caused alarm and now we are seeing the after effects

dipo2much:

This Sanusi guy is a joke.

[size=14pt]You guys have hit the nail on the head[/size]
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by sartorius(m): 7:02am On Sep 28, 2009
the actions by the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) in the last seven weeks have slowed down economic activities in the country. A clear indication that the economy is on the back foot is glaring in the construction and real estate sectors where demand for cement and other building materials have fallen below the seasonal demand recorded during the same period (rainy season) in previous years.

another indication of where the economy is headed is the recent appreciation of the naira against the US dollar at the weekly Wholesale Dutch Auction (official market) conducted by the CBN in the face of declining oil prices (oil slumped to $64 per barrel by Saturday). This is the surest sign that demand for foreign exchange has declined considerably in recent weeks making it possible for CBN to meet weekly demand. Compare this to less than six months ago when the apex Bank struggled to meet the weekly importation bill and did all it could to protect the country’s foreign reserves from rabid speculators. All the above are clear pointers to the fact that commercial banks are lending less to the economy which is impacting adversely on economic activities.

http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=155657
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by tp2philike(m): 7:14am On Sep 28, 2009
imagine what the price of those stocks were before his hammer,he should have known that  the major causes of fluctuation in share are politics,market hear say and unrest, which led to the lost of confidence in this shares. This shows how myopic and unsensitive he was.Its high time we did away with this Northerners, they are the cause of our under-development as a nation.They have nothing to offer other than the cattle they rear for consumption.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by DisGuy: 7:50am On Sep 28, 2009
McKren:

really the bubble burst last year!!! he was not even appointed yet haba mallam!

actually in other countries investors will be BUYING MORE BANK SHARES RIGHT ABOUT NOW! they know the companies will do well in the future after a big hit, in nigeria with the whole mago mago in the NSE they should be cautious but all the same this is how you buy a bank, when everyone is selling you keep buying it till you become the major shareholder!!
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Ben13: 7:59am On Sep 28, 2009
He's beginning to wonder when it's just morning undecided
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by bidemi12(m): 8:00am On Sep 28, 2009
UP NIGERIA. As i am sitting here i am as naked as the day i was born. And in my birthday suit i swear that all those so called leaders, including those that have beneffitted from their bad policies and corruption, past and present, will forever rot in hell. He took a bazooka to kill a mosquito and is now wondering why his house is a rubble. Kai!!!
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by SEFAGO(m): 8:11am On Sep 28, 2009
actually in other countries investors will be BUYING MORE BANK SHARES RIGHT ABOUT NOW! they know the companies will do well in the future after a big hit, in nigeria with the whole mago mago in the NSE they should be cautious but all the same this is how you buy a bank, when everyone is selling you keep buying it till you become the major shareholder!!

yeah that is true in naija, the probability is that you would likely own a lot of tissue paper (worthless share certificates), than actually own a bank- how much shyting can one do grin
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by DisGuy: 8:18am On Sep 28, 2009
SEFAGO:

yeah that is true in naija, the probability is that you would likely own a lot of tissue paper (worthless share certificates), than actually own a bank- how much shyting can one do grin

as much as possible and to the aghast of mckren and co I will rename the bloody institution = Mallam international Bank-impossible redefined! grin

Do you know how good it feels having your own website with this gibberish--Of a truth some are born great, others achieve greatness, while others still have greatness thrust upon them. But rarely do we have these three attributes combined so well in an individual-

Sir Mallam Babayaro Maiturare OON,SPG signing out!
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Outstrip(f): 8:18am On Sep 28, 2009
I don't think he sounded callous at all. He was speaking to professionals so he simply just had to be real. They know what's up. I think it is still the time to buy shares especially since they basically can't fall any lower. Besides what's the point of selling something when you have already lost most of the value. If you have not sold by now I say just leave it where it is even if it takes years to recover.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by slap1(m): 8:24am On Sep 28, 2009
Whatever our disscusions may be, let us not veer towards tribalism. Sanusi is not really d problem, recall dat over 30 or so US banks failed this year. There is also a Global Economic Meltdown, how can we hope to be left out in all these. Let d tribalists in d house also remember dat d north, which Sanusi is ostensibly protecting, is also not excluded in this current problem. Finally, like som1 in d house holds, opinion is like a hole in d a*se, everybody's got one.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by slap1(m): 8:24am On Sep 28, 2009
Whatever our disscusions may be, let us not veer towards tribalism. Sanusi is not really d problem, recall dat over 30 or so US banks failed this year. There is also a Global Economic Meltdown, how can we hope to be left out in all these. Let d tribalists in d house also remember dat d north, which Sanusi is ostensibly protecting, is also not excluded in this current problem. Finally, like som1 in d house holds, opinion is like a hole in d a*se, everybody's got one.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by slap1(m): 8:25am On Sep 28, 2009
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by sayso: 8:27am On Sep 28, 2009
@Mr. Lamido Sanusi hope you are reading this,if I happen to get to you I will knock you on that your boro boro face,what do you expect from Nigerians after that stunt you pulled on the Banks
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by DisGuy: 8:30am On Sep 28, 2009
Outstrip:

I don't think he sounded callous at all. He was speaking to professionals so he simply just had to be real. They know what's up. I think it is still the time to buy shares especially since they basically can't fall any lower. Besides what's the point of selling something when you have already lost most of the value. If you have not sold by now I say just leave it where it is even if it takes years to recover.

True, those selling should be thinking ' who in the right mind is buying'- those buying now are not idiots they know in the long term it will turn around, people are so used to quick 2 weeks transactions they forget long term investment.

And just to turn the screw on- the people buying these shares you are selling now are arabs, muslims and northerners! they are about to take over with the help of this mallam- you better not let them!!!  grin
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by SEFAGO(m): 8:30am On Sep 28, 2009
Whatever our disscusions may be, let us not veer towards tribalism. Sanusi is not really d problem, recall dat over 30 or so US banks failed this year. There is also a Global Economic Meltdown, how can we hope to be left out in all these.

I am stating explicitly that I am using speculation here. But I dont think the global economic meltdown has much to do with naija banks- those US banks did a totally different type of business than naija banks. They were more exposed to risks than average nigerian banks- I for one don't think Sanusi is a problem persay---> But I still think in unqualified, and incompetent, I might one day eat my words- and I would be happy if that happens- but for now, I am waiting to see what sanusi plans to do to transform the banking industry in nigeria.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by SEFAGO(m): 8:33am On Sep 28, 2009
I try not to include tribalism in any of my thoughts because I have no knowledge of any hausa person and haven't interacted with one b4 so i cannot judge one ethnicity or the other. But sometimes, some of Sanusi's actions and statements don't display much intelligence. For example:

Did he really say this !!!!

If this economy is going to recover, we must understand that it is not just about money. Money is a simple matter, because, as you know, we print money.

Does he think we are idiots.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by bidemi12(m): 8:40am On Sep 28, 2009
@ sefago i dont really like the guy, but what is wrong in that statement? i think he talking about institutions and foundations. Yes, we can print a gazzillion naira, but on basis are we printing the money.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by Rooneyboy(m): 8:50am On Sep 28, 2009
An Aboki still remains an Aboki no matter how learned he is. Their thinking faculty still drops to a certain extent.
Re: Sanusi At NSE: I Am Surprised People Are Selling Bank Stocks by SEFAGO(m): 8:54am On Sep 28, 2009
I actually understand where is coming from- now that I read the whole thing again, although the  thing was a bit jagged, but i think that statement was redundant, but my fault, i should have read more closely, curious, was this a press release or a speech he gave. And second thought is the problem with Nigerian banks really[i] Corporate governance[/i]?

An Aboki still remains an Aboki no matter how learned he is. Their thinking faculty still drops to a certain extent.

That is not true- all humans are created equal (not in intelligence, but in the potential to reach heights of intelligence. He is just not qualified for the job, replace it with yoruba, igbo, ijaw, warri na the same Sanusi is doing this the wrong way, especially in a time where everyone has lost confidence in our banking models

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Free Binary Online Trading Training, Make $50 To $100 Daily... / Make As Much As N15,000 Daily On This Platform. / A Very Promising Investment For Your Future

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.