Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage (5994 Views)

Solar Panel And Charge Controller Installation Tutorial / Difference Betweer Automatic Voltage Regulator And Automatic Voltage Switch / How To Increase Electrical Voltage Via A Simple Trick? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 10:31am On Aug 17, 2016
Hi Solar gurus in the house, I recently upgaded my inverter system (200ah battey and 1.2kva inverter) with a solar system, (2 Perlight monocrytalline solar panel 130w each with 30amp charge controller), however there is an issue I have been facing, I notice that after the solar system was set-up and connected to the battery, that the battery wasn't charging as I expected, I go some meter from a friend to measure the voltage and amp coming from the solar to the controller and tthe voltage and amp coming from the controller to the battery and to my surprise I discover that although I had voltage , but there was no amp (current reading) and the funny thing is the battery indicator goes up and down on the controller as if it is charging . please guys I really need your help any advise would be appreciated.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by mjay(m): 5:40pm On Aug 17, 2016
You can upload pics to help your case,plus what type of charge controller are you using?
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 9:02pm On Aug 17, 2016
I am having problem uploading the pix, though I am still trying to. I have tried two charge controller so far, a ROY Solar pwm charge controller and a Fangpusun mppt charge controller but were 30amp. I used a clamp meter to measure the amp for either of the two controller but got no amp current reading... Please help me
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by uwadia79(m): 9:03pm On Aug 17, 2016
let's see the type of controller u are using,and check the panels connection well or u read the voltage from the panels direct. if the problem persists chat me up on whatsapp on 08076683788
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by spyglaxx: 6:30am On Aug 18, 2016
Parallel or series connection problem . Type of cable (mm ) and distance. Alaba boys are bringing in fake controllers now. I bought two that are fake 30 amps. Are you in lagos?
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 7:29am On Aug 18, 2016
spyglaxx:
Parallel or series connection problem . Type of cable (mm ) and distance. Alaba boys are bringing in fake controllers now. I bought two that are fake 30 amps. Are you in lagos?
the panel were connected in parrellel... I used a ROY Solar pwm charge controller and a Fangpusun mppt charge the cable according to the installer is suppose to be the best don't really no much about cable
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 7:37am On Aug 18, 2016
uwadia79:
let's see the type of controller u are using,and check the panels connection well or u read the voltage from the panels direct. if the problem persists chat me up on whatsapp on 08076683788

Voltage from the panel read 19v to 18 v most time
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by iLoveTheSun(m): 8:13am On Aug 18, 2016
Hello,
you need to check the maximum DC voltage of your controller; < open circuit voltage of the module = 18..19 Volt.
If the maximum DC voltage of the controller is beyond 40 Volt, then I would put the modules in series.
On cloudy days it is better to have higher voltage.

One possible source of problem can be a burnt diode in the small black connection box on the backside of the module.
It is very rare, but it happened several times to some of my modules. I had to replace them.

good luck!
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 9:10am On Aug 18, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
Hello,
you need to check the maximum DC voltage of your controller; < open circuit voltage of the module = 18..19 Volt.
If the maximum DC voltage of the controller is beyond 40 Volt, then I would put the modules in series.
On cloudy days it is better to have higher voltage.

One possible source of problem can be a burnt diode in the small black connection box on the backside of the module.
It is very rare, but it happened several times to some of my modules. I had to replace them.

good luck!

Hi ilovecloud what causes burnt diode, cause i just bought the panel new prior to installing it, and this diode is it something I can find at a nearby electical store? and is it something I can fix myself?
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by spyglaxx: 9:39am On Aug 18, 2016
Its not a diode problem else it would have read 11.5 volts.Op just tear everything down and start all over again. Test the panels separately.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 10:36am On Aug 18, 2016
waoh thanks guys ...lot of answer, really appreciate though I have to confess I am a bit confuse due to the different solution suggested.

I however would like to know if anyone have experience similar situation like mine where they could measure voltage from there solar system but when it came to measuring amp they couldn't get any reading.

Perhaps you could tell me what u did specifically to resolve it.

This youtube video shows similar problem like the one I am having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSG391DN8dg
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by iLoveTheSun(m): 9:43am On Aug 19, 2016
Can you please upload a picture of the solar module's name/type plate.
Did you measure the Amps on the solar charger where the battery is connected or directly on the solar panel.
With the multimeter you only can measure I sc (short circuit current), but it does not tell anything about the performance.

Please upload a picture of the panel's front and the specs of your charge controller.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by iLoveTheSun(m): 9:51am On Aug 19, 2016
I agree: tear down your system setup and start again.

When you read 18 .. 19 V in what weather condition? Check the modules, then the charge controller again.
Connect a load to the controller, not a battery.

@spyglaxx: the voltage does not have to drop, but the current drops by 1/3 or by 2/3, if it is a standard 60/72 cells solar module with three cell strings in parallel.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by dicksonadams(m): 10:48am On Aug 19, 2016
iLoveTheSun:
Can you please upload a picture of the solar module's name/type plate.
Did you measure the Amps on the solar charger where the battery is connected or directly on the solar panel.
With the multimeter you only can measure I sc (short circuit current), but it does not tell anything about the performance.

Please upload a picture of the panel's front and the specs of your charge controller.

The panel is high up on the roof so kinda difficult to take a pix without a ladder, the name on the panel is Perlight and it a monocrystalline panel 130w(x2). What we did at the point of purchases was measure the volt which was around 18v-19v mid sunny day and on cloudy time it could be around 17v.

I first tried a 30amps Roy solar PMW charge controller and then tried Fangpusung MPPT 30amp charge controller.

Both were the same outcome. After installation and after some days when I noticed that the battery was not charging even when the indicatior was moving up and down on the controller, I borrowed a clamp meter to measure the amp as advised by another installer and that was when I noticed that there was no amp reading from the cable connecting solar panel to controller and the cable connecting controller to battery.

If I had ur number could give u a call to explain better.

Would appreciate if anyone can help undecided
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by iLoveTheSun(m): 2:12pm On Aug 19, 2016
Ah, your modules are already on the roof? So there might be some resistance in your wiring as well.(gauge & length)

In order to help you I need the specs of your products. Otherwise I am "blind" on the phone as well.

By the way, can your multimeter measure current of upto 10Amps? Basically you need to know how to measure current under load.
Not like the guy in the video. not behind the charge controller. no use if you don't know the IC logic of the controller!

Bare in mind, even if you have open circuit voltage AND short circuit current shown on your multimeter, it does not tell you about the power generation. Because what you get is a simple dot on a graph, but a good module has a U-I curve. That's why you need to know how to measure with a load.

My best guess is to put the solar panels in series, but again, if I don't know the DC-in (PV) specs of your charge controller, then I don't know if you can put 40 V (open circuit) on it or not.
And if not, then you may shut down your charge controller, and you will get mad at me!

So, in order to give you more feedback, I need more info.

sorry, if I sound impatient.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by OkoroPeugeot(m): 1:16pm On Aug 01, 2021
How did you solve this?
dicksonadams:
Hi Solar gurus in the house, I recently upgaded my inverter system (200ah battey and 1.2kva inverter) with a solar system, (2 Perlight monocrytalline solar panel 130w each with 30amp charge controller), however there is an issue I have been facing, I notice that after the solar system was set-up and connected to the battery, that the battery wasn't charging as I expected, I go some meter from a friend to measure the voltage and amp coming from the solar to the controller and tthe voltage and amp coming from the controller to the battery and to my surprise I discover that although I had voltage , but there was no amp (current reading) and the funny thing is the battery indicator goes up and down on the controller as if it is charging . please guys I really need your help any advise would be appreciated.
Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 3:07pm On Aug 02, 2021
call/watsapp us on 08066332919 for your Industrial Power Back up Solution

Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 10:51am On Apr 22, 2022
Do you want to execute a Solar System Project and you need reliable and quality batteries? Mary-Victor Engineering is a home of quantity GASTON Battery, we have all sizes in stock. You can Call/Watsapp us 08066332919

The picture below is 2V:1500AH Gaston Battery, it is available in large quantities.

Our offices are in Lagos & Abuja, we do nationwide delivery.

Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 11:26am On May 10, 2022
Are you in need of quality Gaston Battery, Vertiv/Emerson UPS and Automatic Voltage Regulator (AVR) Call/Watsapp us on 08066332919

Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 12:51pm On Jun 01, 2022
Do you want Strong and Efficiency Industrial UPS/ Uninterrupted Power Supply? Vertiv/Emerson UPS is what you need. We have it in all Sizes, we have Offices in Lagos & Abuja and Deliver Nationwide. Call/ Watsapp Us on 08066332919

Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 10:49am On Oct 12, 2022
Are you a retailer, contractor or an end user? contact us at Mary-Victor Engineering 08066332919 for

• Gaston Batteries 12V:5ah to 2V:1500ah
• Xantrex Inverter, Outback Inverters and Artronics Inverters
• Stavol and Tengen Stabilizers 2KVA to 300KVA
• Emerson(Liebert), Leums and Artronics UPS 650VA to 100KVA

Re: Solar Panel Problem No Current (amp) But There Is Voltage by CAROLYN19: 9:41am On Oct 25, 2022
We are one of the few Distributors of Vertiv/ Emerson/Liebert UPS, We have all sizes of UPS. You can reach us on 08066332919, we are located in Lagos & Abuja and Delivery & Install Nationwide.

(1) (Reply)

Military Engineering: Top 10 Most Expensive And Advanced Weapons Ever Built. / Understanding The Research Onion: An Illustration / Why My Fuelless Generator Is So Unique

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.