Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,930 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Does This Change Your Mind? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Does This Change Your Mind? (729 Views)

11 Harmful Lies Your Mind Loves To Tell You / Does This Kind Of Love Still Exists? / What Was Going Through Your Mind While Walking down the Aisle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Does This Change Your Mind? by agathamari(f): 5:07pm On Sep 27, 2009
Professor Murray Straus of the University of New Hampshire has discovered that the traumatizing effects of spanking have a spillover effect on IQ. Specifically, children who were spanked had lower IQs than children who were not spanked. Straus is presenting the results of his research at the 14th International Conference on Violence, Abuse, and Trauma, in San Diego, California, today.

To conduct his research, Straus followed children in two different age groups (ages two to four and ages five to nine). He looked at children who were being spanked and children who were not being spanked. He then followed up to see how all of the children were doing four years later, so that he could investigate any differences between being spanking versus not being spanking.

Here's what he found:

The IQ scores of children ages two to four who were spanked were 5 points lower four years later than children who were not spanked.
The IQ scores of children ages five to nine who were spanked were 2.8 points lower four years later than children who were not spanked.
How often parents spanked their children also made a difference in how well the children were doing. Children who were spanked frequently were developing more slowly than children who were spanked less frequently. Even occasional spankings had a measurable impact on child development.
According to Straus, being spanked is extremely stressful and can become a chronic source of stress for young children. They may experience post-traumatic stress symptoms such as being afraid that terrible things are about to happen and being easily startled. These symptoms are associated with lower IQ.

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family-relationships/blog/anndouglas/1192/does-this-change-your-mind-about-spanking-spanking-can-lower-your-child-s-iq
Re: Does This Change Your Mind? by Sissy3(f): 5:41pm On Sep 27, 2009
it changeth not my mind. i will continue to spank and as always in moderation. all this stupid studies sef. what next? scolding makes them even dumber huh?
Re: Does This Change Your Mind? by whiteroses(f): 12:29am On Oct 03, 2009
yes it does iwouldnt spank my children and hopefully their IQ will be higher than mine as my dad had spanked half of mine out no wonder european kids have higher IQ esp in education

(1) (Reply)

Secrets To A Happy Marriage / Family And Indivividual Adaptation - USA / Summer Out-door Party Is Here Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.