Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,632 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA (6105 Views)

Edo Govt., MIXTA Africa Seal Deal To Construct 1,800 Housing Units In Benin City / Flooding: Lagos Govt. Marks 7 Highbrow Estates For Demolition / Rent-to-own: Lagos Govt Delivers 100 Housing Units To Beneficiaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by gtsystems: 11:03pm On Aug 18, 2016
Against the backdrop of the need to create new settlements, towns, boost socio-economic activities in rural areas and reduce rural-urban migration, Lagos state government plans to build 50 housing units in each Local Government Area of the state.

Disclosing this at an interview session with press men in his office, the state commissioner for housing, Prince Gbolahan Lawal, said the new policy of the state government is to build 50 housing units in each LGA across the state in order to create new settlements, towns and boost socio-economic activities in rural areas as a way of reducing rural-urban migration in the state.

Gbolahan who noted that Ambode administration believes in collaboration with LGAs as it is being done in other countries, pointed out that the state is constrained by its land mass, hence the resolve to develop the rural areas and their environs. He added however, that “If you want to reduce rural-urban migration, you must be able to stimulate socio-economic activities in rural areas and their environs. For instance, look at Epe, it is close to Lekki where we have the Free Trade Zone. So, people can conveniently live in Epe and Lekki which is just about 10 minutes’ drive to the FTZ”.

Explaining that the state does not have enough land to build more houses in the metropolis, the commissioner said “So, we cannot say we want to have 200 housing units in a place like the Lagos Island for instance. The area is already congested. This is why we must find a way around it.

“So, with 50 housing units in each LGA, and with our one-in-sixteen model that is on the way, it means we just need like three blocks to develop 50 housing units in each LGA. This means that we won’t need so much land for the houses. Again, because of the problem of productivity of workforce, we want people to live near where they work; while we are working on other social infrastructure. With that, we will be able to have growth”, he said.

Gbolahan who disclosed that Lagos land mass is just 3, 750 square kilometres, informed that “Now we have to go vertical way of construction in order to accommodate more houses and people. So, in our estates, we encourage four floors and as physical infrastructure facilities improve, we can move up to six floors. Our physical planning regime will change.

“When that time comes, the Physical Planning Ministry will adjust the policy of government where it says you cannot go above four floors in certain areas. Rapid population is a major concern. The growth rate is 2.8 percent; but is housing growth rate commensurate with population growth rate? The answer is no. So, we have to find a way of making the hinterland liveable, making economic activities expand to those places so that it will help in reducing rural urban migration”, Gbolahan noted.

On the 2.5 million housing units deficit in the state, the commissioner for housing who said about 600,000 people come to Lagos yearly, stated that it is for government to say can we do the 2.5 million houses in four years?

According to him, it is possible but it is a challenge, adding however, that where is the space? “Is the construction method of the 2.5 million houses going to be the same traditional way of construction? Are we going to use technology whereby we will be manufacturing homes? Our job is to build affordable homes, so we have to also look at the cost.

“As government, I cannot come out and say my one bedroom apartment is N10 million. So, we have to look at the cost of a unit. But if you are looking at the high end homes, then no problem because if that is what you choose, you should be ready to pay for the extras. But for the homes government wants to build which is to be made practical, we will have to continue to subsidise it. 25 per cent subsidy is already in those our LagosHOMS as the cost of infrastructure and land are already deducted.

“So, our prices are competitive. But on the 2.5 million houses in five years, the idea is this, the deficit we have now is 1.6 million; but for us to close the gap to forestall more deficit, we must be able to say lets put the deficit at 2.5 million. But with the way we build, only government funding with tax payers money, you and I know that it will be difficult because there are too many pressing needs for the state.

“Technology and private sector must come in to make this possible. We need primary and secondary mortgage banks to partner with us so that we can look at the mortgage and construction finance aspect of housing”, Gbolahan stated.

Read more at: http://naijapropertiesonline.com/lagos-govt-plans-50-housing-units-in-every-lga/
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by olaolaking: 11:58pm On Aug 18, 2016
That will be nice. 50 units can't do but a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step. Start small and let see what happens from there.
Good gesture!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Nobody: 6:33am On Aug 19, 2016
I don't just know what Delta State government is doing. Other state are trying to meet up by being active and productive but my beloved Delta State. undecided

6 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by dejavubobo1(m): 6:33am On Aug 19, 2016
What abt the tall buildings I see around ogba is that not suppose to be the lag house, ? or is it privately owned..

anyway, can ambode allow me execute just one local govt.
Ehen Baba plz oo

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by wildchild1: 6:33am On Aug 19, 2016
Hmmmm...a good step

2016/2017 Jerseys available, order now
https://www.nairaland.com/3204752/2016-2017-jerseys-available-affordable
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by gist4kidsblog: 6:34am On Aug 19, 2016
wink wink wink

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by seunny4lif(m): 6:34am On Aug 19, 2016
SW always on mind cool cool
SW leads, others follow grin grin grin
Nice one

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Sexytemi(f): 6:36am On Aug 19, 2016
Nice one o...

Eko o ni baje
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by omogidi234(m): 6:36am On Aug 19, 2016
Even though 50 units is infinitesimal if compared with the huge housing deficit in Lagos nonetheless, it is better than nothing.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by steffans(m): 6:37am On Aug 19, 2016
Nice move...
But land still dey Lagos?
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by lonelydora: 6:37am On Aug 19, 2016
Ambode is working
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by TVTKOKO(m): 6:37am On Aug 19, 2016
gist4kidsblog:
wink wink wink
no worries Lagos government go cme buy from you wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Nobody: 6:38am On Aug 19, 2016
Oh Lord, thank you for making me a SWer first, then a Nigerian. Thanks so much. grin cheesy grin

Quote me a tribalist, it's your headache.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by jazinogold(m): 6:39am On Aug 19, 2016
Plan...build and share it to only your political associates!
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Turks: 6:40am On Aug 19, 2016
Lol..LIES! The houses go don get owners even before the foundations get laid

8 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by anytexy: 6:41am On Aug 19, 2016
The question is, is it a low cost housing for poor masses or for them them as usual.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by BarryX(m): 6:43am On Aug 19, 2016
This will go a long way to ease housing problems but 50 houses in each LG sounds more like the typical bogus promise.

Politicians should just learn to say things that they can do per time rather than deceiving people. It will be easier for them to measure and also save them the stress and daft excuses they reel out if they don't meet up.

The touted #FourthMainlandBridge is still under after the initial media buzz.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by ideology(m): 6:45am On Aug 19, 2016
Gullible ones will jubilate

The ones fashola started is still laying in waste,
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by dollaflow(m): 6:46am On Aug 19, 2016
hmmm
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by ideology(m): 6:47am On Aug 19, 2016
dejavubobo1:
What abt the tall buildings I see around ogba is that not suppose to be the lag house, ? or is it privately owned..

anyway, can ambode allow me execute just one local govt.
Ehen Baba plz oo
you are talking of Ogba, from ojodu Berger to victoria Island, you will see similar structures wasting away

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by AxeurdaddyIX: 6:53am On Aug 19, 2016
BarryX:
This will go a long way to ease housing problems but 50 houses in each LG sounds more like the typical bogus promise.

Politicians should just learn to say things that they can do per time rather than deceiving people. It is easier to measure and save the govt of stress of excuses if they can't meet up

Lol. Have you been to Lagos H.O.M.S in the Igando? You really should see what Lagos state government did there
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by AxeurdaddyIX: 6:54am On Aug 19, 2016
ideology:
Gullible ones will jubilate

The ones fashola started is still laying in waste,

Keep quiet, go to Igando and see the ones he built there.

http://www.lagoshoms.gov.ng/?u=propertydetail&pid=18#.V7afT5Ao_Hw

All completed houses!!

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Nobody: 6:55am On Aug 19, 2016
Stelvin101:
I don't just know what Delta State government is doing. Other state are trying to meet up by being active and productive but my beloved Delta State. undecided
Deltans should keep voting PDP. Many Nigerians are affected by Stockholm Syndrome

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by darkid1(m): 6:55am On Aug 19, 2016
Abeg, the main thing is the cost. At the end one comissioner would buy like 30 for his three wives and rent out. I wish we had a good morgage system in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by gretblue: 6:56am On Aug 19, 2016
Stelvin101:
What did you expect from Delta when it is the likes of Tompolos are the administrator and Chief makers. What did you expect from Delta government when the last administration did virtually nothing in his 8yrs and the same set of people and party were voted into power again. What did you expect from Delta government when the last administration spent millions of Naira constructing BRT road from Effurun roundabout to Enerhen only for the same project to be abandoned.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Ponponkon: 7:01am On Aug 19, 2016
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by chukxie(m): 7:11am On Aug 19, 2016
Until the projects begin, this news is nothing but hogwash. Planning is one thing while executing it is entirely a different thing. Talk is cheap!
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Femich18(m): 7:12am On Aug 19, 2016
50 houses is too small for each LG but its a nice step in the right direction
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by CuteTj(m): 7:14am On Aug 19, 2016
gretblue:

What did you expect from Delta government when the last administration spent millions of Naira constructing BRT road from Effurun roundabout to Enerhen only for the same project to be abandoned.
The quoted was the most annoying I saw on my one and only visit to Warri. I was terribly disappointed.
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by seguno2: 7:23am On Aug 19, 2016
50 only?
How many per LGA did Jakande build back then with lesser money?
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Realdeals(m): 7:27am On Aug 19, 2016
Why has Ambode abandon the Ilubirin housing estate on the island, nothing seems to be going on there.
Re: Lagos Govt Plans 50 Housing Units In Every LGA by Kx: 7:29am On Aug 19, 2016
This is the way to go.

Lets plan small and fully implement it instead of planning gigantic 1000 units and more that ends as elephant projects.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Luxury And Affordable House Plans Designs In Nigeria / Buy Tilcor Stone Coated Steel Roof Tiles. 100 % New Zealand Manufactured. / 3 Bedroom Duplex Design For A Small Plot. 30x50ft

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.