Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,261 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:28 PM

World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) (794 Views)

Police Stops Young Kenyan Inventor From Flying His Home Made Aircraft / World's Largest Heart: 200kg Heart Of A Whale Preserved In Museum(Photos) / Paul Allen Unveils World's Largest Plane With Two Cockpits(Photos). (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) by timidapsin(m): 2:33pm On Aug 19, 2016
The world's largest aircraft branded 'the flying bum' has taken to the skies in a successful maiden voyage - the first since a revamp in Britain.

The 302ft-long Airlander 10 - part plane, part helicopter, part airship - loomed overhead at Cardington airfield in Bedfordshire as the sun started to set on this evening. reports Afriwap.com

Photographers and plane spotters baked in the sun as they waited to see the aircraft, whose bulbous exterior has earned it the less-than-glamorous nickname 'the flying bum', take off.

The developers called the ship a 'great British innovation' after the flight, which was a modern milestone in airships, which was all but abandoned after the famous Hindenburg disaster in 1937.

Stephen McGlennan, chief executive of Hybrid Air Vehicles (HAV), added: 'It's a combination of an aircraft that has parts of normal fixed-wing aircraft, it's got helicopter, it's got airship.'

The Airlander is designed to use less fuel than a plane, but carry heavier loads than conventional airships.

HAV say it can reach 16,000 feet, travel at up to 90 mph and stay aloft for up to two weeks.

Source: http://afriwap.com/general-discussion/world-biggest-aircraft-airlander-finally-hit-the-skies/

lalasticlala
Re: World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) by timidapsin(m): 2:34pm On Aug 19, 2016
The way the plane moves still amazes me shocked
Re: World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) by timidapsin(m): 2:35pm On Aug 19, 2016
I wish i could fly in that, so cool cool
Re: World's Largest Aircraft Takes First Flight Test (photos) by Oblitz(m): 2:37pm On Aug 19, 2016
GOOD

(1) (Reply)

MTN Nigeria And Lumos Mobile Electiricity (24/7 Power Supply) / I Buy Itunes Gift Card USA,CANADA,GERMANY,UK / Where To Learn Programming, Graphics And Web Design In Ilorin?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.