Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,672 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:29 PM

Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. (1440 Views)

Sell Or Buy This Properties And Get Your million Naira Commission Instantly. / Properties And Plots Of Land For Sale At Lekki / LADIES AND GENTLEMEN CHECK OUT THIS PROPERTIES AND GET INSTANT REWARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 3:35pm On Aug 19, 2016
I was really enjoying this on the other thread before kasala broke again.

Some thoughts on this after a year spent at home. In my case I am home cos of health reasons. I enjoy the simpleness and predictability of my life abroad and the opportunity for the children such that 9ja is not a first choice but I am likely to feel differently in my older years.

Any business is not an easy feat in 9ja cos the tendency is to run it to the ground. You must get liver to deal with our people

I prefer to blend in than be a local champion. I would rather have my home in an affluent area and keep up with the joneses. Bad belle plenty for our people and some will go out of their way to cause you harm out of jealousy.

If you are the local champion you invariably become the local atm. Its always their children or someone in hospital or someone needing to be buried so that you are made to look heartless for saying no. Even people that you hardly know will come round.

Have an allowance set aside for family and friends they will come calling.

If you are a lover of owambe then you go collect asoebi tire. We are each others keeper so them go get into your business. Its good to get involved but dont get too familiar cos it breaths contempt.

You definitely need a source of decent income. Its easier for me to maintain a healthy diet abroad than it has been in 9ja.

My assessment after a year is if I had a choice I will stay abroad but spend chunks of time in 9ja. Chances are I will return in the next 2 years.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by diordaves(m): 4:14pm On Aug 19, 2016
gabbytabby:

Some thoughts on this after a year spent at home. In my case I am home cos of health reasons. I enjoy the simpleness and predictability of my life abroad and the opportunity for the children such that 9ja is not a first choice but I am likely to feel differently in my older years.

Any business is not an easy feat in 9ja cos the tendency is to run it to the ground. You must get liver to deal with our people

I prefer to blend in than be a local champion. I would rather have my home in an affluent area and keep up with the joneses. Bad belle plenty for our people and some will go out of their way to cause you harm out of jealousy.

If you are the local champion you invariably become the local atm. Its always their children or someone in hospital or someone needing to be buried so that you are made to look heartless for saying no. Even people that you hardly know will come round.

If you are a lover of owambe then you go collect asoebi tire. We are each others keeper so them go get into your business. Its good to get involved but dont get too familiar cos it breaths contempt.

You definitely need a source of decent income. Its easier for me to maintain a healthy diet abroad than it has been in 9ja.

My assessment after a year is if I had a choice I will stay abroad but spend chunks of time in 9ja. Chances are I will return in the next 2 years.

When you say you will return in the next 2 years, does it mean your expectations were not achieved ? If yes why?

1 Like

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 5:11pm On Aug 19, 2016
Even though I thought I had managed my expectations, I think I have been spoilt by the simple things of life 247 light, cooking and house chores not being such an issue, ease of getting things done, online shopping, getting around and an ability to live my life etc.

I find our people quite mean spirited. Often times no joined up thinking and illogical or maybe I just don't get it.

I am suppose to be in semi retirement and want to be able to do more of what I enjoy and I find that I am getting bugged down with other peoples issues even to the detriment of my health.

diordaves:

When you say you will return in the next 2 years, does it mean your expectations were not achieved ? If yes why?

1 Like

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by diordaves(m): 9:33am On Aug 22, 2016
gabbytabby:
Even though I thought I had managed my expectations, I think I have been spoilt by the simple things of life 247 light, cooking and house chores not being such an issue, ease of getting things done, online shopping, getting around and an ability to live my life etc.

I find our people quite mean spirited. Often times no joined up thinking and illogical or maybe I just don't get it.

I am suppose to be in semi retirement and want to be able to do more of what I enjoy and I find that I am getting bugged down with other peoples issues even to the detriment of my health.

So the reason you moved home (health) did not more than compensate for the eventual challenges right? In fact your health may be taking a hit. This throws more or the same question: after donkey years overseas, can we effectively retire back to Nigeria? I think yes! My retirement model, controversially, is superior to yours. I think my model would have been perfect for you without trying to change your lifestyle.
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by danowena: 9:55am On Aug 22, 2016
gabbytabby:

gabbytabby:

Madam, these are the typical challenges some of us face.
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by danowena: 9:57am On Aug 22, 2016
smiley
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by mavverick: 10:34am On Aug 22, 2016
Madam

How do you think family and friends have looked at you if they knew you had property in Nigeria ? Would it be the same or are you viewed differently ?

Could that be the reason why one can become an ATM ?
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 1:34pm On Aug 22, 2016
If you dont mind can you share your model. I am still giving myself opportunity to tweek.
diordaves:

So the reason you moved home (health) did not more than compensate for the eventual challenges right? In fact your health may be taking a hit. This throws more or the same question: after donkey years overseas, can we effectively retire back to Nigeria? I think yes! My retirement model, controversially, is superior to yours. I think my model would have been perfect for you without trying to change your lifestyle.
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 1:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
They assume this means you are constantly rolling in it which is often far from the truth. I have to pace myself for major stuff for the house.

My school fees last year is below 100k coming academic year the estimate is close to 1m such that it would be interesting to see how things pan out.

mavverick:
Madam

How do you think family and friends have looked at you if they knew you had property in Nigeria ? Would it be the same or are you viewed differently ?

Could that be the reason why one can become an ATM ?
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by diordaves(m): 11:07pm On Aug 23, 2016
gabbytabby:
If you dont mind can you share your model. I am still giving myself opportunity to tweek.

I stated it in Hajj M's but I will summarize:

I will not live in the city like you

I will live in sub-urban

I will get a large expanse of land; minimum 2 acres for a budgeted =N= 2 million

I will build a smart bungalow.......no duplex of =N= 17 million and above for me

I will turn the land into a cottage industry/agricultural settlement

I will produce stuff like juices, Garri, feeds, fisheries, meat and poultry, fruit and veg etc on the farm

I will open a sales outlet to sell to the product/produce to the community

This will provide you with clean air, space for night time walking or jugging in your estate, peace and quiet to suit your health needs. Any hangers on would be sent to the farm to earn; no money for nothing........the yorubas say one does not visit the elderly for free: if one is not made to fetch water, one will at least grind some pepper.

See pix below of a farm cottage bungalow that can be executed for minimal cost; in fact about =N= 5 million without the swimming pool. The game plan of retirement is to spend minimal on physical non wealth creating assets like brick and mortar and use saved up capital for wealth creating investment like a cottage industry. Mind you, you will not work the farm but employ farm hands and graduates.

1 Like

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by diordaves(m): 11:08pm On Aug 23, 2016

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by Nobody: 5:29am On Aug 24, 2016
diordaves:

I will live in sub-urban

I will get a large expanse of land; minimum 2 acres for a budgeted =N= 2 million

I will build a smart bungalow.......no duplex of =N= 17 million and above for me

I will produce stuff like juices, Garri, feeds, fisheries, meat and poultry, fruit and veg etc on the farm

This will provide you with clean air, space for night time walking or jugging in your estate, peace and quiet to suit your health needs. Any hangers on would be sent to the farm to earn; no money for nothing........the yorubas say one does not visit the elderly for free: if one is not made to fetch water, one will at least grind some pepper.

See pix below of a farm cottage bungalow that can be executed for minimal cost; in fact about =N= 5 million without the swimming pool. The game plan of retirement is to spend minimal on physical non wealth creating assets like brick and mortar and use saved up capital for wealth creating investment like a cottage industry. Mind you, you will not work the farm but employ farm hands and graduates.

N5m can't get this done IMHO.

2 Likes

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 6:44am On Aug 24, 2016
Thank you Diordaves.

This is similar to my medium term plan and has been my retirement dream. My issue is how to currently marry this with the needs of my primary school age child and in the 9ja scenerio such an area is initially almost always without light and the associated cost of running the outfit by generator and securing gas and petrol.

Also I think you have not put the security situation into consideration. A house like this is likely to attract burglars on a fairly regular basis in a relatively secluded or isolated area. Our plan includes a six 1 bed flats on the fringe on half a plot and a comfortable but modest 3 to 4 bed farm house. I will still maintain a town house.

(quote author=diordaves post=48747180]

I will live in sub-urban

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by true2home(m): 6:54am On Aug 24, 2016
While am still very young, I do agree with Dio's view. I don't get involve in peoples problem back home. I help those that are trying and ignore the rest that are lazy. My local friends are often time refer to the ones from US when we go out and that's cos am always very simple in everything I do. Don't want to live in the rich neighborhood like LEkki or VI. I prefer so lowkey town close to my village but far enough to be a getaway at the same time. Like village feel. I can always go anywhere in Nigeria to feel the City Life when needed. Nigeria is actually not that difficult to live when you are not caged. you can travel abroad whenever you like and do as you wish, but when in Nigeria, just keep lowkey and you will be more fulfilled... just my one cent... I visit Lagos on N50k budget most of the time for two weeks and don't miss anything. IM iJebu by the way!!!!
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by Nobody: 4:58pm On Aug 24, 2016
Phase 1 of my scheme is in progress, the suburb residence which will serve as the grounding point for my family. Chosen for its village life and within one-hour radius of Murtala Airport for quick egress out of the country.

Phase 2 might have to wait until I arrive back at home. It involves a 5 to 10-acre piece of land, I haven't purchased due to thoughts of land grabbers.

This will be a multi-use compound where I aim to practise my eccentric ideas, basically my playground. Central to this will be a standing invitation for nomadic Fulani herdsmen to graze their animals and set up camps for free. There are many ideas of what I wish to do in my retirement to keep active.

I don't have issues with friends and families that look at me as an ATM, I give where it is due but I'm a man of policy and thankfully those around me understands this. My lifestyle doesn't give out the idea that I have excess, and this is by design.

Madam Gabby, could your issue be related to the fact that you are not truly retired and you also run a real estate enterprise?
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by NL1960: 6:26pm On Aug 24, 2016
following
Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by princetom1(m): 6:49pm On Aug 24, 2016
EgunMogaji:
Phase 1 of my scheme is in progress, the suburb residence which will serve as the grounding point for my family. Chosen for its village life and within one-hour radius of Murtala Airport for quick egress out of the country.

Phase 2 might have to wait until I arrive back at home. It involves a 5 to 10-acre piece of land, I haven't purchased due to thoughts of land grabbers.

This will be a multi-use compound where I aim to practise my eccentric ideas, basically my playground. Central to this will be a standing invitation for nomadic Fulani herdsmen to graze their animals and set up camps for free. There are many ideas of what I wish to do in my retirement to keep active.

I don't have issues with friends and families that look at me as an ATM, I give where it is due but I'm a man of policy and thankfully those around me understands this. My lifestyle doesn't give out the idea that I have excess, and this is by design.

Madam Gabby, could your issue be related to the fact that you are not truly retired and you also run a real estate enterprise?

Saki loading. Let me too go buy land for saki before oga come buy everything finish. Hmnnn, our garage almost ready

1 Like

Re: Properties And The Diasporan Retuning Home. by gabbytabby: 11:50am On Sep 03, 2016
Can one really truly fully just retire and do absolutely nothing?. Retirement for me means doing what I enjoy and not having to worry whether I make money from it though I do not want to loose money but at least have it self supporting.

The real estate has its issues and my intention is to explore all the options to resolve it that it becomes a tick box exercise.Is it currently an issue absolutely. I currently have a career troublemaker mother daughter duo on my plate that are possibly going to be used to test the court system from the info I have from the old landlord and father in law. That was always the plan to find the elephant in the room figuratively speaking and deal with it.

There are also relatively stress free sources of income that I am exploring. I was speaking to someone on n/l about treasury bills and other money instruments.

The issue with agricultural is the pace of development.At times you are forced to move on quicker than you plan because development is rapid in the area that you have chosen.

EgunMogaji:

(1) (Reply)

SIX PLOTS OF LAND (ONE ACRE) ADJACENT TO DANGOTE REFINARY,LEKKI FREE TRADE, 30m / What You Should Know About The Lekki Free Trade Zone / In Need Of An Apartment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.