Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:36 AM

The Life Of Mr. Wilford - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Life Of Mr. Wilford (428 Views)

Novel: Life Of A Celebrity Written By Onyeneke Abel / Life Of A Star (a Celebrity Story) / The Life Of A Typical Nigerian Student - A SHORT STORY (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Life Of Mr. Wilford by melanch(m): 4:49pm On Aug 19, 2016
Part 1

He saw the world like an ocean where some people were ships, luxury yachts, speedy boats or boring canoes. Others like jetsams, ripples or worse, dead bodies beneath. He didn't see himself as any of them, not even as a fish; a golden one or perhaps sharks, whales or milder, a dolphin. He would see himself as hidden treasure sunk into the deep. Deeper, no pirates can explore. He knew his talents were bigger than him but they were all hidden. Everybody ignored him like angry passersby to a beggar.

"Do you have something to say, Mr. Wilford?", Miss Anita asked him.

"No madam", he replied. Everyone chuckled. Mr Wilford never say a word at meetings. He's known to be a seat filler. But Miss Anita never cared, she never gave up on him and believed that everyone is equal no matter how timid, one can be. Same way, she believed she could make a happy home with her ex hubby but things fell apart. Yet, she never stopped seeing the good in people.

"Are you sure, Mr Wilford", she asked again, "What is your opinion on the importation of Xing laptops". She stretched her eyes to Mr. Wilford. She has puppy eyes and a sweet smile. Above all, she is a beautiful boss, every male colleagues must have fantasised about her. She has an hourglass shape no matter how much she hid it with a floating gown, the edges always finds a way to show.

He didn't believe that she could be this persuasive unlike her during the previous meetings. His buttocks were wet while his legs started shaking like a criminal who is being electrocuted.

"I think...I think it's a good idea. A good idea", he stuttered, "but looking at the specs, we can see that the battery won't last for 3 hours and no consumer would want a new laptop with a poor battery."

"Yes but that's the reason, we want to sell it on a lower price. Something midrange." Miss Anita was getting interested to the new conversation.

"Selling a poor gadget to our customers will create a total let-down. It's not good to be tagged with poorly made gadgets. That's my suggestion, Ma." Mr. Wilford will be 34 next month but yet he has a way of looking older and odder amongst his age mates.

"Good point", Miss Anita replied, promising to look into it appropriately and asked Mr. Wilford to research on other brands of laptops.

All his colleagues were surprised. Nobody knew he was a little smart but above all, they never knew he would be assigned for a salient task that may change the future of the company. The company has been struggling as an online computer store for 2 years now and they needed a product that will boost it's name and profits. Just a magic brand. Now, Mr Wilford will be in charge of the product research. Life can turn around for everyone, he thought. He has worked for the company for a year and half but still not everyone remembers his name. Some of his colleagues call him, 'the big man' ironically or perhaps, 'hello mister'.

That Friday evening as he walked home, he began to think of Miss Anita, how a pretty society lady like her would believe in a lonewolf like him. He believed he is invisible, not just in the office but everywhere even as he walks, he is invisible to the passersby. He opened his door; being welcomed by his only friend at the door was a big relief to him. He hated the noisy world and how boring it seems. The cat clung to his legs, excited to see him and ran past him to the kitchen. It sat in front of its empty plate and meowed. Mr. Wilford smiled and fetched the remaining portion of the food for the cat.
The phone rang. It was Miss Anita. He grew so scared. He hasn't made any attempt to find any suitable products. He just came back from work!

"Hello Ma. I'm sorry. I'm still getting some materials online for the...." he lied. He likes lying. Lies was his second savior in a world full of judgements and criticism. His first was his fantasies. Mr. Wilford is a first class escapist. Infact, that's his hobby.

"I know", she said, "I just want to remind you of it"

"Ok ma. I'll fetch them in the internet as soon as..."

"Are you always busy"

"No, Ma. I'll do it tonight"

"I mean, are you gonna be busy tomorrow"

"No, Ma. Is there any other task I can do. I'm always available"

She laughed. Her laughter sounded like that of a baby. She knew that too. Most of his admirers have mentioned it to her either as a compliment or as an observation. She loves the way she laughs even when things are not funny, she still laughs. It soothes the environment.

"I would love to invite you to my son's birthday party on Sunday"

"Oh! That will be awesome. Thank you ma"

"We will also discuss the products you have researched upon. Good?"

"No problem, Ma"

She ended the call. For Mr. Wilford was still resting the phone on his right ear, he couldn't believe he was called by his boss. It was the first but it's no big deal since I have a very important task at hand, it's necessary she get updated either through the telephone, one on one or via a party, he thought.

The cat has jumped towards the couch, finding a perfect spot to lie beside it's owner. The noise has started from the other apartment as usual. It was time to increase the volume of the television, Mr. Wilford never likes hearing the moan of his neighbour's girlfriend. The cat's ears shrugged as it's face looked like it's been disturbed either by the TV set or the scream from the next door.

(to be continued)

(1) (Reply)

But Who Did It? / Milestone In 823 Years! / All I Have

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.