Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,172 members, 7,821,974 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:10 PM

South Africans United Behind Hashtag #handsoffcaster - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / South Africans United Behind Hashtag #handsoffcaster (794 Views)

Africans That Won The World Cup With France. / South Africans Happy Not To Have Qualified For Russia 2018 World Cup / Video: Alexis Sanchez Signs For Manchester United #behind The Scenes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

South Africans United Behind Hashtag #handsoffcaster by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 23, 2016
'The public can see how difficult it is with the change of rule but all we can do is give it our best.'

Sharp, 26, finished sixth in the 800m final while Semenya – who was once forced to undergo humiliating gender testing to prove she was female – took gold, setting a new national record +11

South Africans have united behind hashtags #HandsOffCaster and #GoCaster to support their sports star from afar and defend her online as well as mocking Lynsey Sharp

Semenya, 25, has an 'intersex' condition called hyperandrogenism which results in her having testosterone levels that are three times those usually found in women and approaching those of a man.

Sharp faced a furious backlash over her comments. @MapsMaponyane wrote on Twitter: Dear Lynsey Sharp, You can't be mediocre your whole life. Be better. Sincerely yours, South Africa'

Commenting on a picture Sharp posted of herself in an ice bath on the night of the final, one tweeter asked, ‘ís that bath filled with sour grapes?

Silver medallist Francine Niyonsaba and Margaret Wambui, who got a bronze, have also faced questions about their testosterone levels.

Sharp had previously complained Semenya’s condition had resulted in ‘two separate races’ ran a personal best time in the weekend final – but still finished nearly two and a half seconds behind Semenya.

This fact proved rich pickings for Sharp’s online critics, who demanded to know why the Scottish runner was 'picking on Caster’ and not the four other runners who also comfortably beat her.

[color=#000099]#LynseySharp needs to accept that no hormone in the world is going to correct the fact that she is just slow,’
observed a tweeter called Maria.[/color]

Palesa wrote, ‘So #lynseySharp came sixth and she is complaining about Caster? So all the other runners ahead of her don’t exist?’

Others poked fun at Sharp’s name and accused her of being racist and suffering from ‘white privilege’- a condition which gave her a sense of entitlement to do well, despite the apparent limitations of her sporting ability.

#LynseySharp your elevated levels of privilege are showing
. If only there was an injection to suppress that,' wrote a tweeter with the handle FasterSemenya.

Some fans highlighted the fact that Sharp had studied Semenya for an academic paper while studying law, which suggested the British woman had an unhealthy obsession with her rival, #GoCaster fans observed.

Sharp, wrote a dissertation on hyperandrogenism while studying law at Napier University, and later tweeted: 'I have tremendous respect for Caster. When asked on live TV, I felt I gave an honest and diplomatic response.'

Last night, Semenya carried the flag for her country at the closing ceremony at Rio. She has not spoken publicly for months and was given a personal security team for the duration of the tournament, over fears that hostility towards her Olympic bid might spill over into violence.

Semenya, who recently married her long term partner and fellow athlete Violet Raseboya, has repeatedly referred to her detractors as 'haters' during her online traffic, appearing to goad them ahead of her event.

The Dumfries athlete hinted that her feelings are shared by fellow athletes Melissa Bishop of Canada and Poland's Joanna Jozwik, who also missed out on medals

Today, she invited them to share in her success, telling her facebook folllowers ‘Thank you everyone for supporting me throughout this championship, for showing me love and for believing In me. To my fellow South Africans here is OUR medal. WE made it!’

Nicholas Campbell wrote: 'Poor @LynseySharp. Must be so hard missing the coveted 5th place spot because a more talented athlete was allowed to compete.'

Sharp and race mate Joanna Jozwik who came fifth have come under fire for challenging medalists Caster Semenya Francine Niyonsaba and Margaret Wambui +11. Sharp and race mate Joanna Jozwik who came fifth have come under fire for challenging medalists Caster Semenya Francine Niyonsaba and Margaret Wambui

Sharp later tweeted: 'I have tremendous respect for Caster. When asked on live TV, I felt I gave an honest and diplomatic response,' a sentiment not accepted by many Caster supporters

The Dumfries athlete, who ran a personal best 1min 57.69secs, hinted that her feelings are shared by fellow athletes Melissa Bishop of Canada and Poland's Joanna Jozwik, who also missed out on medals.The three embraced after the race in what Sharp said was a show of unity, adding: 'We see each other week in, week out, so we know how each other feels.'

When Semenya first emerged on the scene she was forced to have gender testing and subjected to cruel comments about her appearance. She has no womb or ovaries and instead, due to a chromosomal abnormality, internal testes.

Semenya spent 11 months on the sidelines while she had tests but was cleared to compete in 2010.

By this time the International Association of Athletics Federations had set a testosterone threshold. It meant Semenya could run again if she took medicine to suppress her testosterone levels.

The ruling was then challenged by Indian runner Dutee Chand, who also has hyperandrogenism.

In 2015, the Court of Arbitration for Sport suspended the rules for two years, meaning Semenya could come off the medication.

Critics agree the way she has been treated has shamed the sport, and harks back to 1966 when female competitors at the European Athletics Championship were subjected to a 'nude parade' past three gynaecologists.

Semenya has previously said: 'I think sports are meant to unite people. It's not about being more muscular, it's all about sport.'

(Referring to Joanna Jozwik who came fifth) 'She beat her life record and but didn't make the podium. That is very sad. I think she should be a gold medallist. I am glad I am the first European,' she added in comments after the race.

When asked how she could beat Caster, she said she could 'inject a little testosterone.'

Daily Mail Online

Re: South Africans United Behind Hashtag #handsoffcaster by Thukzee01(m): 9:57am On Aug 24, 2016
All dis epistle .... SMH

(1) (Reply)

Olympics: Siasia Reveals Drama With Dalung / HULL City Vs CHELSEA FC Today 3pm / Ballon D’or: Xavi Backs Ronaldo Over Messi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.