Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,820 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:44 AM

FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi (22210 Views)

Jack Ma Visits Africa With 38 Other Billionaires / Nigeria’s Top Five Billionaires Whose Wealth Could Wipe Out Extreme Poverty / CBN Averts Closure Of 200 Manufacturing Firms Through Forex Access (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by agwom(m): 5:33am On Aug 25, 2016
The practice whereby Nigerian businessmen obtain dollars at official rate and resell at a higher rate at the parallel market is still continuing, emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi ll, has said.

“We have created our own billionaires since 2015 from foreign exchange subsidy,” the emir said in a speech at 15th Joint National Council on Development Planning meeting held in Kano yesterday.

They got the dollar at N197 and price their goods at N300, he said in his speech tilled “Nigeria: The search for new growth model.”

“For instance, when the CBN was selling dollar at N197 and people were buying at N300, if I sit down in my garden and pick up my phone I would have enough people to call in the industry to get 10 million dollars at officials rate and sell at N300 and make a profit of over N1bn and if I do that four times in a year, for doing nothing I would have earned N4bn.

“And people were telling us that this policy was to help the poor. We should not devalue because if we do the poor people would suffer.
“...People that were profiting from this were the ones telling the government that if you devalue people would suffer; meanwhile they all got the dollar at N197 and price their goods at N300.

“The poor paid the price of the devalued currency and the rich schemed up the profits and it went on for one year and we talked and talked and talked. “If the present administration continues to behave the way the immediate past government behaved, we will end up where Jonathan ended. You may not like it but that is the truth.”

He added that one needs not be an economist to know that any system that allows someone to make N1bn profit through a phone call without investing a kobo is a wrong system and unsustainable.

He pointed out that the economics aspect of the whole thing was that for every one billion dollars that was taken from the federation account and sold by the CBN at N197, the states were losing N100bn that can go into salaries, into agriculture and into healthcare.

At the same time, he said, the states were going back to borrow from the same government on the bailout when the government was selling its dollars to a group of people.

“What kind of economy are we running? Who is advising the government? I want know who is advising the government so that I can talk to the adviser.
“We didn’t have money, oil price has collapsed, avengers were blowing oil wells and the scarce dollars we had we are selling cheaply to some few individuals.”

The emir said manufacturers have abandoned production and embarked on foreign exchange business at the expense of unemployment and local production.

He lamented that it was unfortunate that while other countries are developing Nigeria has no ambitions as a nation, saying “Do we really love our country? Do we feel any shame when we see Malaysia that collected palm oil seed from us is now exporting palm oil?”
He recalled that the Nigerian public sector wage bills went up from N443bn in 2005 to N1.7trn in 2012, adding that in 2010 when the government increased minimum wage to N18, 000, he had personally protested because government would basically rely on borrowing to pay salaries and that would not be sustainable.

However, he said Nigeria is not all about oil since oil contributes only 15 per cent to the GDP, adding that if the entire Nigeria’s oil reserves were sold today, the proceeds would only add 1164 dollars per head compared to GDP per capital of 3,000 in 2016.
“So those that are making noise about oil should stop and those that are afraid about oil should stop. Oil is just a working capital ... that when we sell it we get the dollars that we can use to import. If we can have another source of working capital we can do without it.”

The emir commended the FG for making some changes in the economic system including removal of wasteful subsidies, noting that the country should rather subsidise in production not consumption.
He pointed out that Nigeria is spending 6-7 billion dollars per annum on fake subsidies and all the money goes to private jets, expensive jewelleries, and properties abroad and so on and so forth, noting that nothing goes to the economy.
The emir added that Nigeria earned 16 billion dollars from the oil sector in 2011 but not a single dollar went to education, roads and or power sector. “Every dollar we earned in the oil sector went back to petroleum subsidy in 2011.”
He advised the FG to also focus on power generation and land reform as well in its effort to diversify the nation’s economy.
The emir said he is a friend of the present administration “but if they decide to run Nigeria aground, I will become the opposition. You are not good friends with government officials and don’t tell them the truth. I will continue to say the truth.”
The Emir attributed the current economic recession in the country to inability of the past administrations to diversify the economy.
He said there was urgent need for the country to return to the drawing board and expand the economy through wise investment for the economic growth and development of the country.
“If we do not expand the economy through wise investment, we can end up in classical Malthusian situation.
He lamented that in spite of the past experiences we had on our socio-economic challenges, the country was still making the same mistakes as we cannot process tomato paste.“Tomato paste is being imported from China. It is sad, “he said.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/fg-creating-billionaires-through-forex-sanusi/160194.html#9vmEsI3plpUMTpdH.99

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by ladyF(f): 5:40am On Aug 25, 2016
I'm starting to suspect all those accusations on Aisha Buhari then of buying at N199/$ to sell to black market. These guys have used this thing to enrich themselves and their generation.

Why exactly did they not devalue the naira then? angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by datopaper(m): 5:47am On Aug 25, 2016
Tell them, government should create 10 millions millionaires instead of 10 billionaires. Like u and u

But to mention this important things, Lagos state is employing people into the service, same with federal government. We need more.

So create enabling environment for small business to survive this bad policy.

Do we still have Fashola, Rotimi, kachukwu, Ngige and all these big boys in this government.

I score them zero

Nay only mouth dey get, including Tinubu.

In 2019, we will build 100 refineries - by president buhari. It will be headline news then. NTA

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by habiham: 5:56am On Aug 25, 2016
#FACT#

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by DAramis: 5:56am On Aug 25, 2016
This man is really wise.

How I wish he can combine his traditional office - "emirship" with central bank governor's job.

The current cbn governor is doing as if he is not knowledgeable in economic policies which aid in the growth of a country.

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Amitex(m): 5:57am On Aug 25, 2016
Et tu Sanusi!! What has come over the son of Muhammadu Sunusi? Is Lamido Sanusi also among the "Wailers"? grin grin grin

59 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by greatwhite(m): 6:01am On Aug 25, 2016
grin
Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by saintkel(m): 6:04am On Aug 25, 2016
We need not be told that Buhari has failed woefully. The South west won't still see dis. I just don't know what's blocking dia eyes from seeing d truth or is it d hatred for other tribes?

50 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Sibrah: 6:04am On Aug 25, 2016
Confessions of a true parasite.
Tell us exactly, wasn't it like that under you as a CBN governor?

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Sibrah: 6:05am On Aug 25, 2016
Confessions of a true parasite.
Tell us exactly, wasn't it like that under you as a CBN governor?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Lifestone(m): 6:21am On Aug 25, 2016
Amitex:
Et tu Sanusi!! What has come over the son of Muhammadu Sunusi? Is Lamido Sanusi also among the "Wailers"? grin grin grin
Did you read what the man wrote? I doubt it. Or you couldn't comprehend what he said!
Those who knows SLS will agree that the man will always say his mind. He was a loud voice in the advocacy for the removal of the fraud called fuel subsidy.
The FX margin between the official rate and the black market is presently huge and would be difficult not to promote round tripping.
An economy that provide subsidy for consumption at the expense of production is doomed.
By the way, I am not a fan of Lamido Sanusi

53 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by newbornmacho(m): 6:27am On Aug 25, 2016
Meanwhile Buhari sits there with an empty skull whining about corruption and playing victim while the serious decisions which he was elected to make are abandoned.

12 Likes

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 25, 2016
“What kind of economy are we running? Who is advising the government? I want know who is advising the government so that I can talk to the adviser.
“We didn’t have money, oil price has collapsed, avengers were blowing oil wells and the scarce dollars we had we are selling cheaply to some few individuals.”
"Sanusi is a wailer " - Zombies.
Wailers Association of Nigeria, Kano state chapter, pls pay a courtesy visit to Sanusi, he has been tacitly courting your attention. You guys need to make him your grand patron.

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by odiereke(m): 6:31am On Aug 25, 2016
True Talk.
Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by dadebayo1(m): 6:32am On Aug 25, 2016
Kindly fill in triplicate and submit to the headquarters...

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by eleojo23: 6:33am On Aug 25, 2016
True
Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by DMerciful(m): 6:37am On Aug 25, 2016
Fighting one corruption and creating a bigger corruption. You need intellect to fight corruption something Bubu doesn't have.

14 Likes

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by ojay2053(m): 6:39am On Aug 25, 2016
The problem is still the head, those at the top are still gaining from it and wouldn't like to desist. Cut off the head and the problem will die.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Nbote(m): 6:47am On Aug 25, 2016
Wailing confessions... So he has finally admitted d obvious dat dis govt is simply busy enriching themselves in d name of forex policies and restrictions In his own words ;
[b][/b]“We have created our own billionaires since 2015 from foreign exchange subsidy,” the emir said in a speech at 15th Joint National Council on Development Planning meeting held in Kano yesterday.
They got the dollar at N197 and price their goods at N300, he said in his speech tilled “Nigeria: The search for new growth model.”
“For instance, when the CBN was selling dollar at N197 and people were buying at N300, if I sit down in my garden and pick up my phone I would have enough people to call in the industry to get 10 million dollars at officials rate and sell at N300 and make a profit of over N1bn and if I do that four times in a year, for doing nothing I would have earned N4bn.
“And people were telling us that this policy was to help the poor. We should not devalue because if we do the poor people would suffer.
“...People that were profiting from this were the ones telling the government that if you devalue people would suffer; meanwhile they all got the dollar at N197 and price their goods at N300.
“The poor paid the price of the devalued currency and the rich schemed up the profits and it went on for one year and we talked and talked and talked. “If the present administration continues to behave the way the immediate past government behaved, we will end up where Jonathan ended. You may not like it but that is the truth.”[b][/b]
Dis is jus between last year and dis year and yet some mofos have been busy lauding every ill conceived and malicious policy d govt has put forward. Even D Emir has admitted d govt is no different from the previous ones dey have been so vocal in always condemning. D CHANGE was simply to remove d previous power bloc and replace dem with anoda or d same set of selfish power hungry bigots.

18 Likes

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Nobody: 6:50am On Aug 25, 2016
Very true @Mallam Sanusi

18 Likes

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by millhouse: 7:06am On Aug 25, 2016
Who doesn't know that PDP's racket was fuel subsidy while APC's racket is forex subsidy, only the cacus can get dollars at N197 from CBN.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by lafuria1(m): 7:07am On Aug 25, 2016
What most people won't realize is that he was referring to the past policy of defending the naira at N197 and black market sell at N300. The naira had been floated. What we have is the inter bank rate. So we have moved on.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by nairaman66(m): 7:17am On Aug 25, 2016
Sanusi's piece is expository!! He blatantly told us the flaws of the previous and present government!!

As a non economist, I have learnt a little from this well structured piece!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by rusher14: 7:18am On Aug 25, 2016
When ignorance speaks it is very loud.

Can't you see this is about an old policy that has since been done away with?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 25, 2016
SMH!
Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by dre11(m): 7:29am On Aug 25, 2016

This is the plain truth if what has been happening when we pegged our exchange rate and people where buying dollars relatively high at almost triple the price......

But, I feel with the new CBN policies on naira.... it will reduce this.

Still remember when an analyst says some of the manufacturers also enguage in such practices

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by bellyjean(m): 7:56am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice one from the emir. I am a a proponent of GUIDED CAPITALISM.

I will blame the present and the previous govts (both GEJ and OBJ). It is not enough to just clear debt and increase FX reserves, we should have invested greatly in the economy. They all goofed on this one.

Taking South Korea as a case point, in the late 1950's after the Korean war, they depended so much on US aids, but they had a vision. Labour was cheap and by 1960 they have been able to save some of their earnings from agriculture and other low value-added industry. After the first coup in the 1960s, they reduced their dependence on foreign aids by 65% and were able to grow their light industries. By the late 1960s they were self sufficient enough to advance to heavy and chemical industries. The govt had strict control over capital accumulation and foreign debt. They didn't just allow some money to be lying fallow in their fx account. They reinvested almost all into the economy while shielding state owned and private industries from the international competition through tariffs and subsidies (just as the emir mentioned, govt has no business subsidising consumption, they should subsidise production and place high tariffs on imported competitors).

By the 1990's they had grown the economy from just heavy and chemical industries into advanced hi-tech industries. All through the transition,
1). there was capital accumulation and reinvestment of these capital into the economy.
2). Labour grew from just cheap unskilled labour into highly skilled quality labour- thanks to the great investment in education.

Today, south Korea (or just korea) is a world force.

I blame OBJ for just being complacent. He cleared our debts and accumulated $40b but didn't plough anything back into growing the economy; that is not an achievement to me,That is carelessness and cluelessness.

Yaradua clains he increased the fx savings to $61b and he claimed he invested in the economy. As for me, I didn't see any new investments other than sustaining the state of the economy. The moment he started amnesty, they started trailing a wrong road with a steep cliff at its end.

GEJ came in and depleted almost 60% of the so called capital accumulated on frivolities (amnesty, consumption Subsidies and the likes) leaving debts and a diseased economy for the present govt.

Buhari came in without having a clear strategy of good and sustainable economic policies. It is just like a novice who must escape a terrorist den with a chopper. He hasn't flown one before and he is just testing the buttons to know their functions. God help him the terrorists don't blow up the chopper cos he is wasting his precious time.

If we claim we have $25b in our fx accounts, this is not bad as people claim. As a strong and focused central govt (as it claims to be), be involved directly or indirectly in giving boosts to our dying manufacturing industries. Because if we don't do that, we will end up spending this money with the ones borrowed on consumption subsidies and salary payments.

Honestly, nigeria already has the framework for development into a strong economy(real one this time and not Some rebased GDP values) in 15 - 20 years. We have to take action now.

The emir has captured my concerns and opinions in this write up.

52 Likes 15 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by Flets: 8:16am On Aug 25, 2016
Buhari has no business being president at this time. The level of corruption in the forex market especially among the northern elites is monumental.

There was public outcry when FG approved subsidized FX for mecca pilgrims at 197 but the masses are unaware that most major businesses in the north have always sourced their FX directly from CBN at that same 197 since Buhari became president.

Guess who is being fooled, the illiterate masses that voted the one they call president.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by TippyTop(m): 8:17am On Aug 25, 2016
The forex policy was to enrich the likes of Aisha Buhari, a policy that made Aisha Buhari the biggest bureau de change in Nigeria overnight.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by kolnel: 8:17am On Aug 25, 2016
Nice
Right On the spot
Re: FG Creating Billionaires Through Forex – Sanusi by mhisbliss(f): 8:18am On Aug 25, 2016
lol whenever i see this thier royal attire i cant help it i just laugh uncontrollably, NINJA grin do they ever take it off? Even in toilet and bedroom, even in swimming pool

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Grants Dangote Cement ₦22.32bn Tax Credit / Setting Up A Provision Store / Tony Elumelu Joins In Nigeria/Senegal Jollof Rice Debate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.