Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,366 members, 7,819,315 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:15 PM

Just Got A New Job? 7 Tips To Help You Blend In - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Just Got A New Job? 7 Tips To Help You Blend In (432 Views)

I Just Got A Job From Nairaland / Got A New Job January 3rd After So Many Months Of Searching In 2017 / Springboard For Health Communication Fresh Graduate & Exp. Job (7 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Just Got A New Job? 7 Tips To Help You Blend In by BISolutionsng: 2:41pm On Aug 25, 2016
Shortly after graduation, I got my first job. I found it difficult blending into workplace, especially when I was just coming from an academic environment, the job was in Lagos Nigeria which was also a new environment for me and I had to learn a whole lot by myself.

I took some time to study my environment, and I made a friend who had worked in an organization for about 10yrs, I could ask him over 10 questions a day. He was a very pleasant person, always happy to respond and put me through. Being a fast learner, the questions began to reduce in number and gradually became none, by then I had fully blended and had began to perform, at the end of the year, I was awarded the staff of the year. Here are a few tips that will help you speed up your blending process

Ask questions: It’s a new job; of course you need to understand your environment and the culture of the organization. Aside onboarding and orientation, it is important you ask questions when you are not sure of what to do. I am sure there would be people around that will be happy to help.
Know when to ask questions: That is where emotional intelligence comes in, you cannot just keep asking questions, you need to study the timing, mood and ensure you are asking in the right environment so you don’t strike people as dull or irritate them with your questions.
Ensure you ask intelligent questions: When some people ask questions in workplace, you wonder if they actually graduated from school, ask only when the only option you have is to ask. There are times you can visit “Google for dummies” as long as you get an answer for your questions.
Learn to manage diversity in workplace. You can have a mixture of the two generations in the same place; you need to understand that the manners of communicating with the two generations are completely different, make it a point to observe how the millennial, Generation Y, and baby boomer generation interact in a professional setting.
Ask for feedback: It is important that if you don’t get feedback, you solicit for it. It is good to know how you are doing on the job, so you can know where to put effort.
Be confident enough to make contributions: Do not think that only your superiors can bring up good ideas, be confident enough to initiate ideas. Who knows, that idea may just take the company to the next level and remember, do not give up on initiating ideas even if your idea was ignored.
Follow all office rules: Avoid breaking rules like leaving the office without telling your boss, leaving the office before closing hours, chewing gum aloud etc.
Tokunbo Fasoro
http://biempowerment.com/2016/08/25/just-got-new-job-7-tips-help-blend/

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Group Head, (internal Operations And Control) / Content Manager At Co Creation Hub (cchub) the place of Zuckerberg's Visit / Human Resource Consultant/genuine Recruiter Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.