Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,316 members, 7,819,069 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Waiting To Wed - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Waiting To Wed (655 Views)

Waiting For Williams - A Short Story / Waiting To Go Home / Waiting For The Bouquet By Audrey Timms (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Waiting To Wed by jaylicioussss(f): 1:58pm On Aug 26, 2016
"Haba what are you wearing" Anty Nenye said raising her nose to express disgust, "please go and wear your that your pink and black gown, that one that brings out your shape" she continued.
We were getting ready for another wedding, we went for one last Friday and another the next day, I thought we would be taking a break this week, but here we are another weekend and yet another wedding. Anty Nenye has been making me go to the these weddings with her,more to advertise me to potential suitors. I thought my going to Abuja to spend my vacation meant going away from my mom and her subtle marriage talk, Anty Nenye isn't any bit subtle about this matter. From when she picked me from the air port she started with why I still wear my hair low, she advised that it made me look way younger that I should grow it or always cover it with weaves " you don't want men thinking you are still a small girl idigo kwa very ripe o" I faked the best laugh you've ever heard and quickly changed the topic.

This particular wedding had more shine than the rest we've been to, I could tell that the guest were made of the elites of the society, Anty Nonye held me as we went from table to table greeting and chatting with people, I hate those unnecessary small talks people make, I just wondered why my aunt had to go out of her way to make them and dragging me along. At a corner of the hall a table occupied by young men, they probably served as the groomsmen because they had same suit and tie. I drew back as my aunt was moving towards the table " Anty hope we are not going to that table o" I asked standing at a spot " of course we are now" she replied pulling me behind her.
"Obiora Aloka! just look at you"
" Good afternoon anty Nonye
"See you Obi of yesterday all grown up, hmmm even doing beard gang"
"(Laughing) Anty o! I'm not doing anything o
" Odinma, so what do you do now eh"
" Oh I work with Conkrit Construction in Lagos, I just came to Abuja for this wedding"
"Ehh Lagos?my Niece works in Lagos too" she said pushing me to stand in front of her
"She is a graduate o, I know she looks small, don't mind her she doesn't like eating, always cooking delicious food but to eat is problem, but it good she will maintain her shape even after giving birth, she is Catholic sef...
I squeezed my eyes shut as my aunt read out my cv to this young man that I don't know, begging for the grounds to open and take me. I opened them when I heard my name being called.
" I am Obiora" he said stretching out his hands, I took his hand as I struggled to maintain gaze.
" Ok nne sit here na, let me go and meet *$-?... my aunt mumbled as she briskly walked away leaving me at table filled with guys
"Does she introduce you like that to everyone" Obiora asked setting a seat for me and introducing me to the rest occupants of the table
" Naa she introduces me like this to only the young men that checks most of the boxes in list" I replied. This made him a little shy, he looked away smiling.
" well at least she is subtle, you need to hear my mom introduce me to ladies"
" how can you call Anty Nonye subtle? Your mom maybe be it but no one is a match to my aunt"
" you don't believe me? Ok just wait " he said waving at someone to come over. A light skinned middle aged woman walked towards us with a smile which broadened as she got closer.
"Mom meet Nne Anty Nonye's niece " Obiora said to the woman. She looked at me and the smile stretched further.
"Nne is this you? Do you remember me? She asked coming in for an embrace which I obliged
" No ma I don't remember o, biko remind me
" haa you are now a big girl o, don't you remember sister loris, I and your mom headed CWO back then.
"Oh oh I remember now, Anty lo lo"
" Nnem so you remembered Obiora first and not me" she said with a mischievous smile. I opened my mouth to protest but she continued before I could say a word.
"Its ok its good at least he won't have to continue any search, Nne he works all the time, I keep telling him, get a woman to help you spend this money you are making, do you know he has two degrees and a masters, and he is still reading and taking different online courses' well its good I know your family very well that one won't be a problem. My birthday last month he bought me one big jeep, Nne I don't need jeep na, pls two of you should talk well ok, let me even go outside and call your mom, I'm just so excited" she said walking away with the same grace and smile.
I and Obiora looked at eachother and busted out laughing.
"Nne they won't kill us o.
"They can't.

www.personallyjay.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get Good Novels In Abeokuta? / To those feeling sucidal / ABUSIVE (A Novella) By Dave90

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.