Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:10 PM

Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. (4670 Views)

How To Open A Clickbank Account For Free In Nigeria. (screenshots Included). / How To Open A Domiciliary (foreign) Account With Gtbank, Zenith Bank & Firstbank / Chinese Supermarket In Abuja Where Nigerians Are Not Allowed Access (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by BobUg28(m): 2:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
Hi guys, this thread is for everyone out there who want to open their own mini superstore or those that have been contemplating on which business to invest their money,.. Do you wish to start-up something similar to supermarket? If your answer is YES to the above questions, read on... If it's NO, you can only read on for the sake of tapping knowledge.

I heard that we Africans are pretty lazy at reading, but before you back off, don't forget that it took me nothing less than 30mins to coin this up, so I advise you read it through. It won't cost you more than 5mins to go through them

Here we go...

Like you, I too am dreaming of opening my own grocery store( a mini superstore). I have thought of some advice to give you, some thoughts I have gone through myself, and what you need to survive. Before you read on, I want to mention that I am NOT giving you specific costs etc, just GUIDANCE. For those who know me in person, I'm Ani Ugochukwu by name. A steward in a retail-base grocery store. I have been in the business for some couple of years.. at such, I have mastered some key principles in running a successful grocery businesses.

First off, you have to look at yourself. Question why you want to start your own business, how you think you could succeed in what is now-a-days a very tough job sector, and what will make you different from others.

My first advice is quite obvious really - DO YOUR HOMEWORK. I read an article from Brain Sheer (can't remember the exact figure for the life of me..) but something like 80% of all small businesses fail after their first 2 years trading..and the last time I checked, the statistics was right. So don't rush into spending any money until you have thought every single little detail out. Here’s a few starting points to think about;

WHERE: Base on experience and the research I've made so far, location is the first thing we consider whenever we talk about opening a supermarket, superstore or hypermarket. It's a very important factor when starting a business - especially a grocery store. You need to know where the nearest competition is, and what makes you stand out from them. What’s the rent? Lowering your costs, not just improves profit directly, but it means you can lower your prices attracting many more customers (indirectly improving your profits too!!). If you’re in a competitive area, you really are going to struggle unless you offer something completely different to everyone else.

HOW: So what do you know about retail? I myself have 5 years experience at a leading mini superstore, Emmadav Global Link Limited . I have been a shop filler, a cashier, and a manger. I am highly trained in stock replenishment, customer service, staff management and many more aspects of running a store.

WHY: Why are you going to succeed? You’re going to succeed because you are going to put all your efforts, all your focus, attention, and heart into it. That's really the best advice I could ever give you. You can never fail if you want something so very bad.

One important factor you must ask yourself if you are near a recently closed store...why do you think it closed down? I've heard many people speak about finding great locations where stores used to be etc .

All you need to do is focus on what their NEEDS and WANTS are, mix in a great low price, and you have before you a tremendous potential loyal cash-paying and consistent customers chasing you pant down with their money.

One of the greatest tips I've been given by a business wiz is most businesses are sitting on a gold mine of customers - RETURN CUSTOMERS. Return (or lack of) customers make or break a business. Make sure your shop layout is logical, make sure your warm and friendly greetings are constant, and make them feel they have left the store with a great deal (through either pricing deals, or product quality).

1 Like

Re: Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by BobUg28(m): 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
Re: Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by BobUg28(m): 8:35pm On Sep 04, 2016
Re: Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by spygadgets(m): 6:49am On Jun 13, 2018
Guy how are coping with the superstore...
Re: Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by joeyreports: 2:43pm On Oct 02, 2019
You can get the tips on how you can start up your own supermarket business https://www.nigeriabusinessplan.com.ng/how-to-start-a-supermarket-business-in-nigeria/
Re: Tips on How To Open A Successful Supermarket. by konews: 4:01pm On Nov 30, 2020

(1) (Reply)

Naira2usd.com Now A Scam Site ? / Insecurities Of A Security Guard / Why Do You Buy Stocks?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.