Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,732 members, 7,809,806 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:16 PM

New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users (37165 Views)

5 Whatsapp Privacy Tips And Tricks / Twitter Increases Tweet Characters Limit For Users To Express Their Selves More / Compulsory Whatsapp privacy Update (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by giftedben: 7:00am On Aug 27, 2016
WhatsApp™

No one wakes up excited to see more advertising, no one goes to sleep thinking about the ads they'll see tomorrow. We know people go to sleep excited about who they chatted with that day (and disappointed about who they didn't). We want WhatsApp to be the product that keeps you awake... and that you reach for in the morning.
Remember, when advertising is involved you the user are the product.

2 Likes

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Luckymay(f): 7:04am On Aug 27, 2016
So long as my privacy is not threatened why would I use the "don't share button" it could prove to be important in the future. They have their reasons for giving options and also telling you that it cannot be changed . so I suggest we let them do their thing for now and see how it goes.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Vaabra01(f): 7:09am On Aug 27, 2016
OK.noted will try it next yr
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by UjSizzle(f): 7:24am On Aug 27, 2016
versashee:
when they know we will still agree to it without reading it anyway
That would be awesome grin grin
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by mygee33(m): 7:25am On Aug 27, 2016
No matter what is contained therein, we ll still accept and agree. As long as we de use whatsapp!!
Who reads terms and Conditions
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by jaybee3(m): 7:33am On Aug 27, 2016
I made sure i read the relevant sections of the updated data sharing agreement before opting out.

The only reason why i hate bbm platform is their annoying adverts that shows up in message list

I don't want these mofos miming my data to expand their predictive technology
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by ejamahrandy: 7:35am On Aug 27, 2016
mhisbliss:
as soon as Facebook acquired whatsapp i knew that was the beginning of a boring whatsapp
Madam know everything. I hail o
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by jaybee3(m): 7:36am On Aug 27, 2016
Luckymay:
So long as my privacy is not threatened why would I use the "don't share button" it could prove to be important in the future. They have their reasons for giving options and also telling you that it cannot be changed . so I suggest we let them do their thing for now and see how it goes.

That's a very wrong mindset to have from data security point of view. Just pray you never have to experience identity theft and all

2 Likes

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Livefreeordieha(m): 7:40am On Aug 27, 2016
well i saw this yesterday afternoon but i was too sleepy after taking some flu pills so i just left the phone after clicking not now..only ti wake up in the evening and my phone has gone blank since then refused to come on ..a fully charged new phone please anyone has an idea what went went wrong..its HUAWEI P8 LITE.
matrixx9:
For the very first time in four years and since being acquired by
Facebook, WhatsApp, the world's most popular messaging platform is updating its terms and conditions , as well as its privacy
policy. Part of this update includes WhatsApp sharing your account
information with Facebook to, among other things, provide better
targeted ads.

I know you'll be wondering what part of your information is being
shared to Facebook

Q - What information is being shared with Facebook?
The updated WhatsApp FAQ page says that the phone number you
used to sign up for WhatsApp with will be shared, as well as the
last time you used the service.

Thanks to end-to-end encryption, Facebook will not be able to see
your
messages, photos or other media you share. Only you and the
person
you send messages to will ever be able to see that information.
And
any information that is shared by WhatsApp will not be publicly
visible
to anyone using Facebook. Meaning, if WhatsApp shares your
phone
number with Facebook, it won't fill in the phone number field on
your
profile and make it visible to anyone.

Another question is why your information is being shared.

The FAQ page says sharing your information with Facebook will
help
the two companies "coordinate more." The claim is that it will help
them "fight spam and abuse" more efficiently, as well as and this
is
likely the bigger and more feasible reason "improve your
experiences
within [Facebook] services" through targeted ads.
Will I start seeing ads in WhatsApp?
No. Well, at least not in the usual banner ad style. However,
WhatsApp is exploring ways to allow businesses to communicate
with customers. In the same way that you can interact with your bank
via SMS to check account balances or pay your cell phone bill with a
text
message, WhatsApp wants you to receive information from
business,
such as receipts for flight information.

The good news is, WhatsApp is (for now) continuing to put you in
control. It says, "We do not want you to have a spammy
experience; as
with all of your messages, you can manage these communications,
and we will honor the choices you make."
Time will tell if being part of Facebook will alter their stance on
this, as well.

Well. Certainly, I've got a lot of contacts on my whatsapp and I get
a lot of messages daily so the idea of Ads on Whatsapp "hell no". If
you feel the same way about the new Whatsapp privacy policy,
Fortunately, you can opt out and remove yourself from the whole
situation very easily. Here's how:

Open WhatsApp on your phone.

On Android , tap the action overflow button in the upper right
corner and select Settings . On iOS, tap the Settings tab in the
lower right corner.
Select Account .
Tap the check mark to the right of Share my account info .
To disable the feature, tap Don't Share .
The pop-up that appears reads, "If you tap 'Don't Share', you won't
be
able to change this in the future." And they mean it.
On the bright side, your account information and app usage won't
be
shared with Facebook anymore. Though, it doesn't say whether it
has
already shared your information or whether, if shared, that
information
will be deleted.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by BrainnewsNg(f): 7:46am On Aug 27, 2016
hotspec:
informative
Yes oooo
But, so many people will never read it cos it lengthy, will rush to comment.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Luckymay(f): 7:48am On Aug 27, 2016
jaybee3:

That's a very wrong mindset to have from data security point of view. Just pray you never have to experience identity theft and all
OK. So what do you suggest as a tech-savvy?
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by alizma: 7:49am On Aug 27, 2016
veekid:
OP please next time you're doing copy-paste; please try to arrange it for the sake of the readers. Not everybody can read something like this

Thank you
his copy and paste is helping many people.
most indicate copy and paste before telling him to arrange his write up?
people like you just derive joy in bringing others down.

1 Like

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by jaybee3(m): 8:06am On Aug 27, 2016
Luckymay:

OK. So what do you suggest as a tech-savvy?

I think the questions should be what would happen if i reject the option to share.

Would it affect my user experience? No

Would it affect the app from functioning at optimum level? No

Would i lose out from planned targetted advertising? Possibly but it's highly unlikely that you had start your e-shopping experience from suggested ads on whatsApp

FB's major revenue is from advertising and it's safe to conclude that you will most definitely be inundated with them annoying ads.

A major data breach is always around the corner so it's important you control what you share.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by 9jatatafo(m): 8:13am On Aug 27, 2016
No free biscuit in Freetown. Whatsapp and FB hasbeen sharing our info from inception. Don't be deceived by these tech companies.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by jidez007: 8:30am On Aug 27, 2016
If you accept, they show you they are taking some of your personal information. If you don't accept they still take the information without letting you know.

So you don't have any choice...

1 Like

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by dumie(f): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2016
Well I saw it yesterday but was too much in a hurry to really read the details.. Noted

1 Like

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by dhsfbi(m): 8:59am On Aug 27, 2016
Hmmm
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Nobody: 9:05am On Aug 27, 2016
versashee:

grin grin lol, honestly, i've never read terms and conditions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Nobody: 9:07am On Aug 27, 2016
I accepted without reading yesterday but I have my changed it now.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by olubenjazzy(m): 9:28am On Aug 27, 2016
Thanks
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by midasbliss(f): 9:31am On Aug 27, 2016
Me that accepted without reading
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Beamborla(f): 9:44am On Aug 27, 2016
I took my time to read the terms and condition and I declined it.
Even if they still share my data, I didn't permit them to.

All I want from WhatsApp is to send and receive information... So long it won't affect that, I'm not interested in any other experience.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Emeka71(m): 9:58am On Aug 27, 2016
I don't use whatsapp.
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Electronzeez(m): 10:05am On Aug 27, 2016
versashee:

No be to wait for twenty minutes @ your meme , I would just play some games and come back to click agree grin.

But seriously I read terms and conditions , having working with Chinese I learn how to read terms and conditions .

A chinees will give you a contract terms and condition as big as theraja , take you to an hotel to distract your serious instinct , they can even bring you woman if they realised you womanise and make you sign without reading a page . After you sign , you are in for a problem .

1 Like

Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Fidelismaria: 10:18am On Aug 27, 2016
I Fvckin Hate Ads Am Optin D Fvck Out
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by itsmyxme(m): 10:23am On Aug 27, 2016
Zack in charge
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by tayexz(m): 10:24am On Aug 27, 2016
reading the privacy policy of a software can be a waste of time cos at the end u just have to click "I AGREE!!!!"
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by josh77(m): 10:55am On Aug 27, 2016
Its good sha...and I guess its not compulsory u use sapp if u feel like not using it
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 27, 2016
wait oh.. is there someone who wudn't agree to that?
Re: New Whatsapp Privacy Policy - What It Really Means For Users by haryomikun(m): 1:18pm On Aug 27, 2016
matrixx9:
Source : http://www.naijatechguy.com/2016/08/whatsapp-changes-privacy-policy-what-it.html
Remove the date in ur URL. For better seo.

Then do a 403 redirect

After that, change all your URLs from date formats

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Fines Telecom Giant MTN $5bn / Jack Dorsey Launches Bluesky Social, New Social Network / Code For Airtel Friend And Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.