Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,912 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act (4486 Views)

Ice-Prince Wins "Best African Act" At BET Awards 2013 / Dbanj Wins ‘Best African Act’ At 2012 MOBO Awards / D’banj Named Best-African Act At MTV Europe Music Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by CHAIRMAN1(m): 4:16pm On Oct 01, 2009
Nigeria Has Done It. Nneka Wins MOBO Award

Nigerian musician Nneka Egbuna has told the BBC of her surprise and excitement at winning the Best African Act at the Music Of Black Origin Awards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8285775.stm

NO BE GOD!!!

NNEKA HAS MADE NIGERIANS PROUD TO BE 4RM HERE.

SHE WON THE MOBO AWARD FOR THE BEST AFRICAN ARTIST YESTERDAY NIGHT, BEATING

OTHER AFRICAN ARTISTS LIKE SALIF KEITA ETC ETC.

THIS IS D 3RD TIME IN 1 WEEK THAT NIGERIA IS BEING PROPRELY REPPED IN D INT'L SCENE,

1ST IT WAS UWEM AKPAN, THEN GENEVIEVE, NOW NNEKA.

REMEMBER DAT 2FACE BEAT OTHER ARTIST'S + DBANJ 2 CLINCH DIS AWARD LAST YEAR.

I WAS SO PROUD 2 B NIGERIAN YDAY NITE. I HAD 2 cheesy LEAVE SHEFFIELD TO BE @ GLASGOW LIVE.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by MrCrackles(m): 4:18pm On Oct 01, 2009
ok. . . .
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by candylips(m): 5:01pm On Oct 01, 2009
she is good
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by semid4lyfe(m): 5:20pm On Oct 01, 2009
@ Poster

Is that why u're shouting and screaming?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by iice(f): 6:11pm On Oct 01, 2009
LOL my mom was just telling earlier to check the mobo news.

Congrats
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by ifyalways(f): 6:14pm On Oct 01, 2009
Good for her.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by mamagee6(f): 6:28pm On Oct 01, 2009
Okay but seriously how does this bring up our economy and rescue us from poverty.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by omar22(m): 8:31pm On Oct 01, 2009
Okay but seriously how does this bring up our economy and rescue us from poverty.

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by semid4lyfe(m): 11:04pm On Oct 01, 2009
And the so called Nneka is largely unknown in her country.Anyhow sha,good luck to her.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 12:52am On Oct 02, 2009
[size=16pt]Kelly Rowland slams Mobo Award organisers[/size]
And Tinchy Stryder vents his anger after failing to win
October 1, 2009
Tinchy Stryder news RSS feed

More Tinchy Stryder news, reviews, videos and tour dates

Kelly Rowland has slammed organisers of the Mobo Awards after poor sound hampered her performance of hit single 'When Love Takes Over'.

The former Destiny's Child singer momentarily stopped at the beginning of her performance of the track – a collaboration with David Guetta – as she took to the stage at the ceremony in Glasgow last night (September 30).

She later posted on Twitter.com/kelly__rowland: "OK. So, I'm at the Mobos and getting ready to have a GREAT show with David and the Mobos F'd my sound up!!!!! PISSED!!!!!

"I wanted you guys to be the 1st to hear it from me! rehearsals. were fine. soundcheck. was fine. performance, was a struggle at 1st. HONESTLY, that just makes me work harder! But, what I will say is the Mobos owe me an apology!!!! I was LIVID after the show!"

Tinchy Stryder also ranted about the Mobos on his Twitter feed after he failed to pick up a single award.

He said: "So I didn't win a Mobo after havin da highest selling urban single of the year and sellin over 1million singles this year, cool. F the Mobos."

N-Dubz and JLS were the big Mobo winners on the night, both scooping two awards each.

Blog - What's the point of the MOBOs?

http://www.nme.com/news/tinchy-stryder/47611
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by MrCrackles(m): 12:54am On Oct 02, 2009
I cant get my head round JLS winning. . .
Tinchy ripped last year and this year, that kid deserved a lot more. . . .Chin up Tinch, we know ur betta dan it all
Mobo is fucking jokes anyway!
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 12:57am On Oct 02, 2009
Who is Nneka?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 12:59am On Oct 02, 2009
Abeg, na who Nneka be?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by mohawkchic(f): 12:59am On Oct 02, 2009
MrCrackles:

I cant get my head round JLS winning. . .
Tinchy ripped last year and this year, that kid deserved a lot more. . . .Chin up Tinch, we know your betta dan it all
Mobo is fucking jokes anyway!

[size=13pt]~Tell me about it MC! I was well shocked!! I'm happy for JLS & all but me think Tinchy was cheated!! Even What's his face Chipmunk was gutted for him!![/size]
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:00am On Oct 02, 2009
[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXMTtOS-oKg&hl=en&fs=1&">[/flash]

Is it this girl?. Very lovely music.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Nobody: 1:01am On Oct 02, 2009
WDH is mobo?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:03am On Oct 02, 2009
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:05am On Oct 02, 2009
Somewhere -Waje is another Naija hot video:
[flash=425,400]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LADGzzqipSo&hl=en&fs=1&">[/flash]
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:07am On Oct 02, 2009
MOBO: Jermaine Jackson tells of 'duty' to keep Michael's music alive as star is honoured at awards
Oct 1 2009 By John Dingwall

JERMAINE Jackson performed a tribute to his brother Michael at the MOBO awards last night - after talking of his family's duty to keep Jacko's music alive.
Jermaine, who performed Smile, and sister La Toya were both at the awards show in Glasgow.

He said: "My brother was everything to me. He was a wonderful artist and a wonderful human being.
"I'm here to do what I can, it is part of our responsibility as a family to continue his legacy and keep it alive. It's a very special night but it's still very tough.
"Just to be here at the Mobo awards is for my brother and to keep the music going."
La Toya revealed she had broken down during rehearsals for the tribute, which saw her introduce Jermaine onstage.
She said: "It is a very, very special night. I thought it would be wonderful to have a tribute to my brother. I thought I'd be OK but at the rehearsal for the tribute earlier today, I started crying.

"The pain doesn't go away, it's a bittersweet evening. I'm so touched by it - it's a wonderful tribute.
"He was such an extraordinary talent. Michael was a wonderful person and a wonderful human being. I want the world to know how extraordinary he was."
La Toya got a standing ovation as she took the stage to accept the lifetime achievement on behalf of Michael. She said: "There will never be another performer like my brother. There will never be another star like my brother."
Then it was the turn of singer Shaheen Jafargholi who got one of the biggest cheers of the night when he led a tribute to Michael with I'll Be There. Britain's Got Talent winners Diversity followed with dance routine incorporating Jacko songs such as Bad, Black Or White and Billie Jean.
Then Jermaine joined La Toya, tenderly singing Smile as images of their brother were beamed on the screens.
Jermaine was delighted with how fans reacted to the moving tribute to his brother.
Later, he said: "Tonight was incredible. It was very emotional. It's tough because we are still mourning. Michael did so much for music as well as being an incredible person."
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by chic2pimp(m): 1:17am On Oct 02, 2009
FL Gators:

WDH is mobo?
Music Of Black Origin Awards. U could say it's the U.K's version of the BET Awards wink cool
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:38am On Oct 02, 2009
[size=14pt]Nigeria singer's joy at Mobo win[/size]

Nneka's gritty style, haunting voice and political lyrics have won her a worldwide audience

Nigerian musician Nneka Egbuna has told the BBC of her surprise and excitement at winning the Best African Act at the Music Of Black Origin Awards.
"I hadn't even heard of the Mobos until two weeks ago," said the 27-year-old, who described herself as a daughter of Nigeria's troubled Niger Delta region.
"It will help more people hear about my music. But it's not about me it's the continent and its music," she said.
Her haunting voice and political lyrics have won her fans worldwide.
"It is Nigeria that has made me to who I am today," she said in her acceptance speech at the awards ceremony in Glasgow.

Warri is very rough place - there's a lot turmoil, a lot of tribalism, a lot of war - that has kind of strengthened me 
Nneka
The singer says her influences include Nigeria's iconic Afro-beat performer Fela Kuti as well more contemporary acts like a US rapper Mos Def.
She also cites Nigeria writer and human rights activist Ken Saro-Wiwa as an inspiration.
Mr Saro-Wiwa was executed by the Sani Abacha government in 1995 for his efforts to campaign against corruption in the oil-rich Niger Delta.
"Stand up against; corruption, against injustice, against bribery and hypocrisy, RAISE your VOICES," she says on her MySpace page.
'Inferiority complex'
Nneka, whose mother is German, grew up in the oil town of Warri and only went to Germany and met her mother at the age of 19.

Nneka's music paid for her university education
In her song Half Caste, Nneka addresses the difficulties of those who grow up as mixed-race children.
"They don't see themselves as black and they don't see themselves as white and they don't know how to handle the situation," she told the BBC's Network Africa.
She says her most recent song Heartbeat - which has become an internet hit - is "very political".
"It's about how the Western world has abused Africa and we have maintained a colonial mentality - we have this inferiority complex," she says.
Nneka herself has shown a steely determination to get where she is.

She initially played music to pay for her university education - she has a degree in anthropology and archaeology.
"It was never my goal to go into music, I just did music to keep me going - like a therapy," she says.
"I stepped out of Nigeria for the first time ever in 2000 without knowing the German language or anything about my German background.
"It was a culture shock - music became like God to me.
"I did music to finance my studies and I got a record deal two years later and that kind of brought change entirely and I was able to finish my studies very fast."

Although she does not see herself as an activist she says it is important to have a message in her work, which is perhaps a product of her upbringing.
"Warri is a very rough place - there's a lot turmoil, a lot of tribalism, a lot of war - that has kind of strengthened me.
"I always wanted to speak my mind and now I'm given the opportunity to do so on stages and by being able to produce the music."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8285775.stm
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by semid4lyfe(m): 9:59am On Oct 02, 2009
I'm glad for her but abegiii her songs are too dry despite the deep and meaningful lyrics.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by candylips(m): 10:02am On Oct 02, 2009
she spoke well
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by dominique(f): 11:24am On Oct 02, 2009
^^^she did speak well, i guess its better reading her interviews than watching them. I've seen her on sc and trace tv, looking stoned and sounding drunk. Same wit her concerts. . wont be suprised if she comes out and say shes has a drug habit or somn. Just MO
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by thameamead(f): 12:50pm On Oct 02, 2009
i watched teh MOBO'S on BBC3 , hehehehe. i watched her pick up her awards. i liked it when she said naija for life.

MOBO'S is nothing but a joke. they always fail to bring in A-list artists. the awards is nothing but a joke. kanya king needs a rethink about the the MOBOS. In the good MOBO'Sthose
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by thameamead(f): 1:11pm On Oct 02, 2009
i watched the MOBO'S on BBC3 , hehehehe. i watched her pick up her awards. i liked it the part when she said naija for life.

MOBO'S is nothing but a joke. they always fail to bring in A-list artists. the awards is nothing but a joke. kanya king needs a rethink about the the MOBOS. In the good MOBO'S day's they had people like victoria and david beckham, mel b and destiny child. i think it's all to do wit black artitist, when they are new on the scence they attend the MOBOS', as soon as they start selling millions of  record's  they turn their backs on the MOBO'S. when leona lewis won x factor, she was @ the MOBO'S but she did not turn up the following year despite the fact that she was dominated, when she was announced as the winner, she was boobed which served her right, by the way british people voted for her on x factor so y the hell is she always in LA.  alexandra burke presented an award but she did not sing her new single (bad boys) which i have to say is crap. she can do better than that. beyounce was dominated and won an award, she's on tour. she's bn a no-show for years. sean paul was also dominated and won but was as usual a  no- show. y do d organisers keep giving the no-shows award. tinchy trider has sold over a million singles and 150,000 in album sales, so why did he not win any award. as for kelly roland, she's was apparently acting like a diva all night and had her sunglasses on all night. she should thank her lucky stars her single reached n0 1 thanks to david guetter. her record label dropped her a couple of months because no one was buying her singles and album so shame on her for saying MOBO messed up her sound system. am happy for jls. i hope they are not one hit one wonders because the uk music scene are not very good as managing r & b boybands.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by AloyEmeka9: 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2009
Is she a Rastafarian?
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by posakosa(m): 4:52pm On Oct 02, 2009
,mama-gee:

You never disappoint me! grin grin grin grin
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by Rooneyboy(m): 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2009
@ porter, clap 4 ur self, u don try.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by tunyus(m): 5:05pm On Oct 02, 2009
MORE OF THAT
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by zimik(m): 5:10pm On Oct 02, 2009
[color=#770077][/color] I AM HAPPY FOR HER. IS LIKE IBO GIRLS ARE MAKING WAVES.
Re: Nneka Egbuna Wins MOBO Award For 'Best African Act by r231(m): 5:11pm On Oct 02, 2009
Rooneyboy:

@ porter, clap 4 your self, u don try.

grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Many Songs Do You Have On Your Computer? / New : The Game - Better Days ( The R.e.d Album) / Comedy Meets Sports On Brilla Fm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.