Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,920 members, 7,956,453 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:17 PM

Sony Permanently Banned Muslim Gamer’s PSN Account Based On His Real Life Name - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Sony Permanently Banned Muslim Gamer’s PSN Account Based On His Real Life Name (1499 Views)

11 Common Bad Gaming Habits Every Gamer Is Guilty Of / Video Games That Killed People In Real Life (Photos, Video) / 2018 Games yet to be launched that every gamer Must Play (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Sony Permanently Banned Muslim Gamer’s PSN Account Based On His Real Life Name by hakinze00(m): 11:24pm On Aug 28, 2016
Years ago, a PS3 gamer created an online account to use as his PSN ID.  He named the account “Ijihad.”  This didn’t bother anyone at Sony all this time.  But now, years later, he’s been banned because Sony has deemed the account name unacceptable.

The problem is, 26-year old Jihad named his account “Ijihad” after his real, legal name.  He really is named Jihad, and quite reasonably felt it was his perfect right to use his real name in his PSN ID.

While attempting to log into his PlayStation account recently, he was rudely greeted by the following shocking message:

When he contacted Sony, he initially was given an option to change his PSN ID.  The company must have changed their minds, however, because they abruptly went silent and now are refusing to even offer the option to change the account name.  Instead, they have banned him for life.

On Reddit, Jihad wrote the following:

Hi all,

“I Am 26 years old and my name is Jihad. Before you hate on me, please remember 26 years ago, this s**t was not like this. I’ve been named based on the true, non-religious meaning of the word, which is: Struggling & Putting an effort in doing something Noble, good and highly valued. Long story short, we’re in 2016 smiley.

“I’m really saddened to reach this stage of hopelessness in fair treatment without dealing with personal racism opinions. I hope if you guys would support me, I also accept if you disagree with me; just hearing me out is much appreciated.

“I have been long PlayStation gamer, since the first one came out. Two months ago I pre-ordered Overwatch: Collectors edition, once I got my hands on it I played it right away. Three days in, I suddenly received: Permanent-ban email, stating reason is [BAN REASON]. (Yes, literally like this) I was furious, I had this account since PS3 came-out, I have purchased MANY games. Never cheated nor talked to anyone.”

This poor guy has lost all of his digital purchases and the money available in his PSN wallet is gone.

While Sony Saudi Arabia has promised to try and help Jihad, this situation seems far from resolved.  A lot of people have stood up for him, but others have still condemned him on the basis that the word “jihad” is just too “offensive.”  And maybe that word has been co-opted by violent fundamentalists.  But here’s a guy just standing up for his right to be himself and play his games in peace.  Banning his name only adds fuel to the fire by stripping the name away from someone who can give it a better meaning.  Here’s hoping Sony comes to their senses and releases the ban on this poor guy’s account.

what's your opinion on this? maybe due to the terrorist attack going on that the Islamic sleeper's cell named themselves jihadists so do u think sony are right to ban such username after all they gave a chance to change the username or u feel it is just an ill-treatment from Sony.lets know

Re: Sony Permanently Banned Muslim Gamer’s PSN Account Based On His Real Life Name by abduljabbar4(m): 7:29pm On Aug 30, 2016
Jihad does not mean war against non-muslims. This is ignorance at its peak

1 Like

Re: Sony Permanently Banned Muslim Gamer’s PSN Account Based On His Real Life Name by henryobinna(m): 11:46am On Sep 02, 2016
abduljabbar4:
Jihad does not mean war against non-muslims. This is ignorance at its peak
this doesn't really matter.

I just feel for the guy. its not his fault but it happened.

I hope they give him the opportunity to change the username and continue with his account.

(1) (Reply)

In Need Of A Ps3 / Watchdogs PS4 For Sale Or Trade / Pls Help My Ps3 Is Showing This Help Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.