Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,542 members, 7,955,011 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:27 PM

Mo Bolutayo - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Mo Bolutayo (459 Views)

'mo Ti Yoo Fi France Ti O Ba Ti Le Pen Di Aare' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mo Bolutayo by lawani: 4:08pm On Aug 29, 2016
MO BOLUTAYO

It is common practice for Awos to answer a query from an Ogberi or non initiate, a member of the Eriwo with an orin Awo or song from Ifa. I will give an example, let us say I am asked 'Why did this person fail despite trying hard while someone else succeeded? Why did the Spanish and Portufuese discover the new world, by passed the Arabs to gain access to new markets in West Africa and etc only for them to crash out and for the English to rule everything as a result of their industrial revolution and despite two great wars? And etc.

Many would say the English were cheaters, bad people, criminals, gangsters and thugs but a song was composed to answer that query probably in the early or late 19th century by an Awo, an anonymous philosopher that has passed away. May his soul rest in peace. It goes thus

Mo bolutayo, mo kore!
Mo bolutayo, mo kore!
Mo bolutayo loyibo!
Mo bolutayo, mo kore!

Translation

I played ayo with the supreme King and I was embarrassed with good fortunes!
I played ayo with the Supreme King and I was embarrassed with good fortunes!
That is the story of the white man!
I played ayo with the supreme King and was embarrassed with good fortunes!

Ase Edumare
Edumare Ase.

Before the British, during the period that the Spanish and Portuguese controlled the transatlantic trade as well as relations with West Africans and etc, all international activities were commissioned by governments and profits made thereby were largely by and for government. The Spanish crown could for instance order that the Governor of the Spanish post in Brazil send a Spanish settler back home by force on the next vessel and etc. They were basically working for the crown on their colonies in the Americas. The crown was not accountable to anyone, they dont have to make profit. They sank at the end in the midst of too much gold!. On the other hand, British settlers were a different sort, many were Irish, escaping famine, seeking land, English seeking new opportunities and land, transported across mainly by companies and not the British crown. There was a specific English law that says there must be no taxation without representation, it was a most efficient curb on the British government because the King needed to summon parliament to raise any amount of money from the economy and it was never ongoing, just what is needed for whatever at that point. No parties at the expense of the economy. So, for British colonists, the crown was not their backer, their backers were corporations owned by thousands of British people at home and mandated (unlike the British crown) to turn out profit. The drive for profit by the corporations marked the difference between Spain or Portugal and Britain. The British were initially very junior to Spain like the Ijesa nation to the Oyo empire but they overtook them with that initiative of Corporations which in turn led to the industrial revolution. It is all a game in which we are all dealt essentially thesame cards and there are rules of fairness to others to follow, it is a game with rules, you play it with the Olu meaning God or providence and if you play what was dealt you well, then you will become a champion!. That is the moral in the song and the story.

Mo bolutayo loyibo!
Mo bolutayo, mo kore!

Mo bolutayo ni Akin Lawanson!
Mo bolutayo mo kore!
Ase Edumare
Edumare Ase!

(1) (Reply)

What Is Happening In Your Village? / Best Legacy To Leave Your Posterity / All In The Name Of Hallowen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.