Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,146 members, 7,821,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:26 PM

Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award (667 Views)

More Answers From War Of Words Season 7 (slam Poetry Competition) / The Grand Master Of Espionage / Where Is The Guy I Married? The Grand Finale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:32am On Aug 30, 2016
DISCLAIMER:This is purely a work of fiction. Any persons, places or events mentioned in this literary work that has any real life reference is coincidental.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:36am On Aug 30, 2016
CHAPTER ONE
FRIENDS FOREVER
The name of my best friend was Carl. He was tall, plumb, nice and intelligent. I lived with my parents- Mr. James Lambs and Mrs. May Lambs. I was their only child. Although I had neither brother nor sister, Carl was always there for me. My father was a business man. His business could keep him out of town for a long time. My mother was a manager in a bakery; she goes to the bakery very early in the morning and comes back late at night. I was always left alone at home as I had neither brother nor sister. But I didn’t feel lonely because my darling Carl was always there for me .
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:40am On Aug 30, 2016
CHAPTER TWO ENEMIES FOREVER The name of my school was Lord Lovesweet High School. I was always at the right place at the right time doing the right thing. I was ‘lucky’ almost at all times; it seemed that I was always one step ahead of my peers. Success always comes with envy and jealousy and my success story was no exception. Bill was such a student who was quite envious of my rise to success. Bill was the best student in fine art. His painting and drawing skills were out of this world. He was also the tallest boy in the class. We always fall out with each other and on one of such occasions, we almost had a fight. He stepped on my shoe and couldn’t apologize. I cautioned him and told him prompt and plain never to try such again if he wouldn’t want me to give him the beating of his life. “Nobody dares big Bill in this school.” He said promptly squeezing his face. “Big Bill my foot. Big for nothing element.” I told him. “Calling big Bill names. Lucky, I will make life unbearable for you in this school. You will have no option but to leave.” He replied with bitterness in his voice. “Threats. That’s all you can do.” I replied him “I don’t issue threats, I make promises and I always keep to my promises.” Answered him pointing a finger to my face I ignored him, smirked and left him. After all, a barking dog does not bite
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:42am On Aug 30, 2016
CHAPTER THREE A GRAND SLAM STUDENT! I was once the dumbest student in the school. I couldn’t solve the simplest arithmetic in the world. I couldn’t read a page of any textbook without sleeping off or slotting it back into my back. My mum was very worried about my lack of academic prowess, so she got me a private lesson teacher. But that didn’t work either. That was about ten months ago. I could paint and draw quite alright but I was very slow in my painting. Carl was the most intelligent student in the school and the teachers always called him a future grand slam student. But I didn’t understand what they meant by a future grand slam student. On one of such occasions, the geography teacher- Mrs. Wickham asked us to explain what an igneous rock looked like. Only one student raised his hand to attempt the question- It was Carl! “Shameful, isn’t it? Only Carl wants to attempt the question.” She said with a frown on her face. “Can we hear from you, Carl?” “An igneous rock is a glassy crystalline rock. It is hard and impervious, thus, it is resistant to erosions and other climatic conditions.” He said “Brilliant!” Exclaimed Mrs. Wickham, “That came from a future grand slam student?” She added. “Who’s a grand slam student?” I asked Mrs. Wickham. Everyone laughed at my question, a roaring laughter for my ignorance. Maybe, that might be a silly question to ask, everybody might know the answer except me. No, it can’t be only me. I was quite sure that even the students who do not know it joined in the laughter. Carl did not laugh, he was unhappy about the laughter. “Well, I teach Geography and not about grand slam award.” She said. But after a while, she said, “A grand slam student is one who has won a grand slam award. The award is bestowed upon any student who has represented the school in major competitions with regard to the aims and objectives of setting up this school. These aims and objectives include- Academics, sports, games and technology awareness. You must come first while representing your school in one academic session. Only one person has won the grand slam award.”
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:45am On Aug 30, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * I was on my own thinking about my inadequacies. I wasn’t good in sports, neither was I good in academics nor in games. Just then, someone tapped me from behind. When I turned round to see the person, I saw that it was ‘the future grand slam student’- Carl Wording. He slipped an envelope into my right hand. “Inside this envelope is a library card. I want you to take it to the head teacher to sign. I would like us to be reading partners.” Carl replied. His last statement stung my ears. This might be some sort of joke, an expensive joke. “Well, I guess reading in the library is great. But, I am a dumb ass. Only intelligent students and future grand slam students go to the library.” “No Lucky, I know that you are not dumb. I know that you are not really what we think you are. I know that you are intelligent. People might see darkness when they look at you but I see light when I look at you” “Inspirational words, Carl. But I am not to be carried away.” I said. “Come on Lucky, I was only stretching out a hand of friendship to you.” “Why me?” “Iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen friends. You are intelligent and I am as well. Intelligent people ask questions no matter how foolish it may seem. Asking Mrs. Wickham who a grand slam student was shows that you possess absolute intelligence.” I took the card to Mrs. Green (the head teacher), she signed it for me with a surprised look. She adjusted her glasses as if to know if it was Lucky Lambs bringing a library card for her to sign. I was almost sure that I heard her mutter under her breathe ‘when did Lucky Lambs start going to the library’ I followed Carl to the library almost reluctantly and picked up the Basics of Science textbook and started reading. Like a miracle, I understood everything that I read. I learnt that I understood what I read better in the quiet library than in the noisy class. I was grateful to Carl for helping me improve academically. I also visited his house. He plays chess with his father every Saturday. His father taught me how to play and some secrets which he said that Carl was too impatient to learn. “A chess player must be smart and calculative but yet calm.” Mr. Wording, Carl’s father would always say. “Why calm?” I asked him one day. “Calmness inspires creativity which eliminates being predictable.” He said stroking his long beard. “Calmness prevents your opponent from reading your mind; Calmness prevents your opponent from predicting your next move. Even if it looks like you would win or you would lose, just be calm. No matter what, don’t panic, be calm.” Explained Mr. Wording. Within few months of my visit to Carl’s house, I learnt how to play chess effectively. I also developed a special interest for the early morning jugging which Carl always comes to my house to engage in. If not for Carl, what should I have done? My frequent visit to the library with Carl also helped me to grow academically as my reading culture improved. My result changed from a poor and unconvincing performance to an excellent and outstanding performance. Carl was indeed, my saving grace.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 1:47am On Aug 30, 2016
Plz, is the story making sense
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 2:10am On Aug 30, 2016
CHAPTER FOUR ONE STEP AT A TIME The head teacher, Mrs. Green just announced that there would be a Crest City Student’s Marathon Race. My school would require ten students to represent her. “I hope you are preparing for the marathon. The trials would be coming up in two days time.” Carl said. "I don't think so." I replied. “Just give it a try; it’s just like the early morning jugging we engage in. As for me, I will register for the trials.” Later on in the evening, my mother told me that she saw an announcement in the national dailies about the marathon race being organized for schools. “I hope you will register for the trials.” She inquired. “I don’t think I will register.” “Don’t be silly, boy.” She said with a frown on her face. “Well, it’s all your choice. But if I were you, I would register. There is no harm in trying. The marathon race is just an advanced form of the early morning jugging which you engage with Carl.” She concluded. Her words were like magic. I accepted and registered for the trials. I was the kid to watch out for which was a surprise to both Mr. Benson (the sports master) and to myself. My endurance level was really high. I had to practice on my own in order to boost my chances of being selected. Carl and I alongside 8 students were selected strictly on merit to represent our school. On the appointed day, we were taken to the venue of the competition. Other competitors from other schools came as well to take home the trophy. The race started and we all took off. I ran moderately and tried not to burn out in the long distant marathon race. I wasn’t bad as I swept past the other competitors ahead of me. At about one hundred meters from the finishing line, only two competitors were ahead of me; Carl was comfortably taking the lead, a lanky boy was in second place and I was trailing behind the two of them. Just then, the unexpected happened. Carl collapsed on the floor, he was writhing in pains. The paramedics were around and rushed to know what went wrong. ‘Muscle cramp’ I heard one of them say as they examined his left leg which seemed like it was the source of the pain. I wanted to stop and know what was wrong with him. But, he spoke to me not with his mouth but with his eyes. “Go on, don’t stop and win the trophy for us.” That was what I heard him say to me with his eyes. I thought I would slump but somehow I managed to hold on. I increased my speed and just at the nick of time, I overtook the lanky boy and ran past the finish line. And for the first time in my life, I won something! “You did it!” Carl exclaimed happily, jumping up as much as his muscle cramp would permit him. He was really happy for me and wasn’t really concerned that I had to win something which he should have won had it not been for the muscle cramp
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Rex1(m): 9:52pm On Aug 30, 2016
Cdstars:
Plz, is the story making sense
SERIOUSLY! is such a question necessary, this story of yours is captivating, motivating n fantastic but convulsively, the stori make over sense. So bros carry on cos am solidly behind u.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 4:55pm On Aug 31, 2016
Rex1:

SERIOUSLY! is such a question necessary, this story of yours is captivating, motivating n fantastic but convulsively, the stori make over sense. So bros carry on cos am solidly behind u.

Lol.. Tnx
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 4:57pm On Aug 31, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * One week after the marathon, a man came to our school. He told us that he was from the Daily Voice, one of the national dailies. He told us to write an article on ‘the impact of technology on our everyday life.’ The best article would be published in the national dailies. I told my parents about the announcement in the school. “I know a lot of people who can help you write the article.” Dad chipped in. “No dad that is cheating. I want to write it all by myself.” I told him. “James, the organizers of the competition would like to have an idea about what a student feels about the impact of technology not from a parent’s or a professional point of view.” Mum supported. “Alright, you can do it your own way.” Dad answered. All thanks to Carl for giving me a library card and introducing me into the habit of reading. I went to the library in search of books to help me write the best article. I found the right books to help me go about it. Also, getting other people’s opinion as well as my opinion, I was able to write my perfect article. I submitted the article before the deadline of submission. Two days after the deadline of submission, Carl rushed towards me as I was going to school. He was holding a version of the Daily Voice. “Lucky! Lucky!!” He called out in excitement. “Congratulations.” He added “For what?” I asked very much surprised. “Have a look.” He said thrusting The Daily Voice copy into my hands. “Turn to page twenty eight.” He added. As I turned to page twenty eight, I couldn’t believe what I saw. My very own article was published in the daily voice. I wiped my eye to make sure I wasn’t in the dream world but I wasn’t. Mrs. Green was so happy that she bought so many copies and kept dishing it out to the teachers to have a look at my article. Her excitement was unexplainable. One would assume that she wrote the article herself. “Thank you, Carl.” I piped in. “For what?” He asked. “If not for you, what would I have done? You introduced me to the library, which helped me to build up the article during my research.” I explained.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 4:59pm On Aug 31, 2016
CHAPTER FIVE THE QUEEN OF CHESS Mrs. Green just announced that there would be a chess competition between schools in the district. She urged us to get back home and practice. I went to Carl’s house after school to practice with Carl. Carl wasn’t doing too well; I won him in 4 out of the 6 games which we played. “Carl, your father told me that you are impatient to learn his secret skills”. I told him. “I don’t need any stupid secret skills. It’s just that I haven’t played the game for awhile”. He replied. “Nobody has it all. As a chess player, you must be smart and calculative but yet be calm”. I said trying to lead him unto those secret tips. But he didn’t care, he just wanted to do everything his own way. Well, Carl wasn’t a bad chess player. He made it to last year’s finals and was considered a favorite to win the competition this year. Few days later, the competition kicked off. Carl and I were able to make it up the semi-finals. The competition lasted for one week. Carl was to face his worst nemesis. ‘The queen of chess’, Jane Adams. Everyone prayed to avoid playing her. Jane Adams- The queen of chess had won the competition three times in a row and was going for her fourth straight title. The competition was held annually. Carl made it to last year’s final but the queen of chess beat him to the title. There had been two stalemates before Jane Adams beat him. She would later confess that it was the toughest game of her life and that the better student lost. But this year was a different story. Most people thought that Carl would pull out a shock victory and put an end to Jane’s winning streak but it was the same old story. Her overwhelming techniques and strategy were too much for Carl to comprehend; and she defeated Carl to increase her winning streak to eighteen. During the other semi-final game, I played with a boy named Tim Page. Tim Page kept smiling as though it was a smiling competition and not a chess game. I wasn’t carried away by his smiles as smiles could be deceiving. And I beat him hands down to the finals. I would face the legendary Jane Adams in the finals. The final show down between Jane and I was really awesome to watch. She was the first to move her piece. She really played with expertise and was indeed ‘the queen of chess’. She seems to counter every move I make and really have an upper hand over me. It seemed as though I would lose and started panicking within me. I remembered what Mr. Wording would always tell me. ‘Smart and calculative yet calm’. I had to restore my calmness and stopped panicking. I was playing with confidence and really gave her a tough time. It wasn’t long before I figured out the winning formula. “Checkmate!” I cried out. Her king chess-piece was in a position of being captured and cannot escape being captured by my own chess-pieces. Hence, I was the winner. “How did you do it? Her eighteen game winning streaks just came to an end. What was your winning formula?” A pressman came forward to interview me. “I was just calm and calculative but yet calm.”
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 5:01pm On Aug 31, 2016
CHAPTER SIX DR. BITTERFALL, MRS. RINGS PROPOSAL AND MRS. GREEN’S CALL My least favorite teacher was Dr. John Bitterfall. He was my Mathematics teacher. He always wanted to make me look like I am nothing, like a nobody and like I am the worst student in the planet. He is one of the most qualified teachers in the country and among the most influential teachers in the school. He was the only person in history to have won the grand slam award! He won the award about twenty five years ago as a young school boy. He had taught in several colleges and universities before he made up his mind to return as a teacher in the school where he first gained popularity by winning a grand slam award. We always fall out at almost every time. On one of such occasions, he wanted to leave me out of the two students that would represent the school in a local Mathematics competition. He wanted his son, Tom Bitterfall to take my place. “Don’t be ridiculous, John. You are being sentimental. Tom might be better than Lucky in Mathematics but he failed to register for the competition on time which is one of the criteria for qualification to participate in the competition.” Mrs. Green told him. Dr. Bitterfall glanced hatefully towards me and stormed out on Mrs. Green angrily. I went for the competition but I performed horribly, so horribly that Mrs. Green cried silently on our way back from the venue of the competition. I felt so bad and there was this sharp pain I felt in my stomach each time I looked into my direction. I cried all night. Even mum’s inspirational words couldn’t stop my crying. My eyes were reddened and swollen in the morning. Mum told me to stay back home. She called our class teacher (or form teacher), Mrs. Rings on her phone telling her that I won’t be in school as I don’t feel fine. Carl came over to see me in the afternoon. “Why weren’t you in school today?” He asked “I was sick but I am better now.” “Dr. Bitterfall was in our class today and he said a lot of things about you. He called you a bag of shame and disgrace and many other horrible names. Were you really that bad in the competition?” “I didn’t know just what happened. I came sixth out of the eight competitors.” I told him almost in a whisper. “It’s not that bad.” “It’s that bad, Carl. I can’t even forgive myself. Even Mrs. Green was dumbfounded. She boasted to the media that her school would carry the day.” Carl looked up, he only smiled. “Dear, life is not a bed of roses neither is it a pack of chocolates. Sometimes, you have to take one step backward to be able to jump three steps forward.” Carl told me. “Before you came, I was thinking of pulling out of the National Science Quiz Competition that is coming up in three days time. But I now feel inspired to come back strong.” “Just go, I am confident that you will come out in flying colours.” Carl’s words were inspiring. Even Mrs. Green still believed in me. I had to study harder for the National Science Quiz Competition. It was a written quiz competition. Three days after we have written it, the result came out and I came first.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 5:04pm On Aug 31, 2016
I need more comments, corrections and criticisms. Don't just read, say something.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:22pm On Aug 31, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * Mrs. Rings (our class/form teacher) came into the class. After taking the roll call, she said she had a very important announcement to make. “I want to select a new prefect for my class.” She said. There was intense murmuring and whispering. Our current class prefect was Betty Pack. She was Mrs. Ring’s cousin. As Mrs. Rings was an upright woman and never encouraged nepotism, Betty Pack won the rights to become the class prefect in a free and fair election narrowly beating Carl in a hotly contested election. She was a humble and nice girl. She was loved by all. She cherished her position as the prefect so much and would do anything to hold on to it. Her increased responsibility as the prefect seemed to have affected academic life. From an A grade student, she was gradually sliding into a B grade student ever since she became the prefect. “Betty will step down today as the class prefect. Normally, her assistant should have taken over as the new class prefect. But as you all know, the assistant prefect will be transferring to a new school. As a result, there would be an election to select a new class prefect and Betty would assume the position of the vacant assistant class prefect.” Announced Mrs. Rings. Betty didn’t look too happy after Mrs. Rings had announced her demotion. Mrs. Rings didn’t seem to mind the unhappy look on her cousin’s face. She only continued with her speech. “I will like two students to nominate a candidate each. Raise your hand if you have someone to nominate.” Many hands went up; my hand was down as I didn’t want to nominate anybody. Mrs. Rings was to select randomly from the hands raised up. “Yes, Carl Wording, who do you want to nominate?” Asked Mrs. Rings. I didn’t want to nominate or be nominated and I had a feeling that he might nominate me. But he had other plans. “Tom Bitterfall.” answered Carl “Tom Bitterfall step out.” Replied Mrs. Rings. Tom marched out and stood before the class. More hands were up and Mrs. Rings was about to make the last selection. “Yes, Bill Carter, who do you want to nominate?” Mrs. Rings called out. “Lucky Lambs.” Answered Bill promptly. I couldn’t believe what I just heard! My very own worst enemy just nominated me for the most prestigious position in the class!! “Lucky Lambs, step out.” Mrs. Rings said. I was not the only person amazed by Bill’s nomination. I could hear some low tone murmuring voices among my classmates as I stepped out. The voting took place and Mrs. Rings ensured that there was no cheating. “If you want Lucky to be your prefect, stand up but otherwise remain sitting if you prefer Tom to be your prefect.” Mrs. Rings instructed. To my greatest surprise, more than half of the class stood up to vote for me. That was how I became the prefect. “Congratulations, young Mr. Lucky Lambs.!” Mrs. Rings’ voice rang out with enthusiasm. “I have a feeling that you will make a perfect prefect.” She added. Just as she left, Mrs. Green [the head teacher] came into the class. “Lucky Lambs please follow me.” She said with a stern voice and walked away almost immediately. I stood up from my seat and followed her. I wondered why such a busy woman like Mrs. Green would take the pain to come all the way from her office to call me out. I followed her until we reached her office. She offered me a seat which was quite rare as students’ visits to her office were usually brief and they always stand. “Lucky, I am really proud of your achievements. I was in a meeting yesterday with some officials from the ministry of education. Based on records, you have fulfilled the criteria for you to be awarded a grand slam award.” She said with a big smile on her face. “A grand slam award!” I exclaimed in absolute amazement with my mouth wide open. “You have met the conditions and fulfilled the four criteria. In sports, you won the marathon. In technology awareness, you won the article writing on ‘the impact of technology in our everyday life.’ In games, you won in the chess game. And in academics, you won the science quiz competition.” She further handed over a letter to me for my parents informing them about the award. The award would be presented to me during the end of term’s prize-giving day.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Rex1(m): 11:29pm On Aug 31, 2016
nice work u got here although from the way things r heading I have a feeling that dis might b a short story. However, kudos to u 4 a job well done.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:27am On Sep 06, 2016
Rex1:
nice work u got here although from the way things r heading I have a feeling that dis might b a short story. However, kudos to u 4 a job well done.

Okay
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:30am On Sep 06, 2016
CHAPTER SEVEN UNHAPPY FELLOWS EVERYWHERE The prize-giving day would come up in six weeks time after our examinations. It wasn’t long before the whole school knew that I would become a grand slam student, only the second student to do so. Who was the first student to win the grand slam award? You won’t believe that it was actually Dr. John Bitterfall! Dr. Bitterfall scooped up the award as a young schoolboy. And coincidentally, he was a former student of Lord Lovesweet High School. He was once a lecturer but he had to quit because the lecturing job didn’t suit his teaching methods [according to him] and he returned to Lord Lovesweet High School out of passion. But some believe that there was a skeleton in his cupboard and some believe that there was a hidden motive in his return to the high school. But nevertheless, he was one of the highest paid teachers. Rumours have it that he was even more paid than the head teacher, Mrs. Green. Dr. Bitterfall wasn’t too happy that I had matched his record. Even his son, Tom couldn’t hide his disdain. His loss during election to select a new prefect didn’t help matters either. His father was always bent on humiliating me during his classes. On one of such occasions, He gave us a test. I was minding my own business writing the test when the old man walked over to my table and demanded to inspect my work. “Lucky Lambs, the grand shit student. Your work is too untidy.” He said. “I don’t understand, sir.” I told him very much perplexed. “You will understand. This test is worth 10% of your general assessment and you just lost it.” “But why, sir?” “Your handwriting is illegible. I can’t read it even with my glasses on.” My handwriting wasn’t bad at all. In fact, my handwriting was the best in the class. According to Mrs. Rings, my handwriting was made in heaven. I knew this was a way to poke his hands into my eyes. I was very furious. “Nonsense.” I muttered under my breathe. But alas, the man caught the words and didn’t like it a bit. “He just called me a nonsense teacher. What insolence, a prefect with no respect. Punishment awaits you; see me in my office immediately after this class.” After the class, I went to his office, he was marking some scripts. He was one of the few privileged teachers that had their offices all to themselves. Other teachers share their offices with one another.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:32am On Sep 06, 2016
“Lucky Lambs, a grand shit student. You have grown wings to call your teachers names. It seems like only yesterday, you would go down on your knees and point to the heavens at the slightest opportunity. But now, you have grown wings and decided to challenge your maker in a game of wits.” He said to me. “I am sorry, sir. It was unintentional; I didn’t know what got over me.” I replied “Don’t interrupt me. You will only speak when I ask you to. I can see that this grand slam of a thing has gotten into your head. If eventually, you are still around to be honoured with that award, you will be the most undeserving winner. I am a deserving winner and I will tell you how true winners win awards.” He paused to take a breath. “In sports, I was a member of the soccer team that won the Inter-school Soccer Tournament. I singlehandedly won the tournament for my team. I was the goalkeeper then and I made breathtaking saves after breathtaking saves to keep my team in the game. I crashed my head with that of a fellow team-mate and my head was busted open. I was patched and continued the game which progressed to penalty kicks. I saved three out of five penalty kicks and I scored the penalty kick that gave my team the cup. Not some stupid marathon which you won with controversy written all around it.” “In technology, I constructed a miniature airplane in the ‘technology fare tournament. The airplane could be controlled using a remote control which makes it fly. Writing articles is totally unrelated to technology. And if you will be very honest with yourself, you didn’t write the article yourself.” “In games, I defeated Kenny Pith popularly known as ‘the chess technician’ in a hotly contested game of chess. But you stooped so low to bully a little girl to become the champion.” “In academics, I knocked out Perry Wish in a Mathematics Competition- ‘Advanced Oxford Mathematics Competition.’ Your mathematics skills are really poor and you won’t stand a chance. You failed woefully in a local mathematics competition to say the least not to talk about an advanced mathematics competition. You sneaked into glory by writing a more stupid quiz competition.” Dr. Bitterfall narrated. “Now, answer me, are you worthy of a grand slam award?” Dr. Bitterfall asked. I didn’t answer, I was silent and my head was bowed low as I waited for his judgment. “He has gone dumb. As for your punishment, I will deduct ten marks from your examination and this test you wrote is invalid. I hate arrogant students. Your arrogance just cost you twenty marks in total. Please make use of the door.”
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:34am On Sep 06, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * Few days later, Mrs. Kents, the fine art teacher gave us a project. She asked us to make a beautiful drawing about nature. I made a nice drawing, I painted it as well. The drawing was about forest life- trees, streams, wild life and stuffs like that. On the day of submission, I discovered that my drawing was missing. Did I forget it at home? Or was it really missing? No! I didn’t forget it at home, I was pretty sure that I came to school with it. “An enemy must have done this! Bill must know something about this. He has always threatened you.” Carl suggested. I had to report to our class teacher –Mrs. Rings – about the missing project. I also told her about Bill’s threats. She summoned Bill and me to her office where she interrogated Bill. Bill denied ever seeing my project let alone stealing it. Mrs. Rings asked me if I could make a new drawing before the time of submission. “Oh no, Mrs. Rings, it took me about two days to complete the missing one.” I told her “I know Mrs. Kents; she could be very strict at times.” Mrs. Rings said. She took me to Mrs. Kents and explained to her how my project got missing. “Well Mrs. Rings, these children of nowadays are fond of playing tricks. Maybe he didn’t do the project. Little boy did you do the project?” Mrs. Kents asked with all seriousness. “NO way, Mrs. Kents, my boy, Lucky is an honest student. He can’t even hurt a fly.” Mrs. Rings defended my integrity. Mrs. Rings only adjusted her glasses and looked at me as though I was a specimen, trying to examine if I can’t really hurt a fly. “Alright, Mrs. Rings, you just made me play against my own rules; maybe because you once did me a favour. Little boy, submit your project to me first thing tomorrow morning.” She said. “It took him two days to make the previous one. Don’t you think he needs more time?”Mrs. Rings pleaded on my behalf. “Oh dear, Mrs. Rings, that is all I can do for him.” Mrs. Rings replied with a tone of finality. Mrs. Kents was indeed a strict teacher. I knew within myself that I couldn’t make the new project in just one day. I inquired from Carl if he would be able to come over to my house to help me make the project. “I am sorry; I don’t think that I would be able to come over. I will be going to visit my grandmother today.” He told me with a sense of regret. “What if I come over maybe after you must have returned from your grandmother’s place or before you go to visit her?” I asked him. “I can’t help it. I am going with my father and he insisted that we should leave for my grandmother’s place immediately after school is over and we won’t be back till evening.” Carl explained.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:36am On Sep 06, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * When I returned from school, I felt confused and didn’t know what to do. The project was worth ten percent of the assessment and I wanted to make a distinction in fine arts. No way! I mustn’t give up now; I mustn’t give in to failure. I must make a move to make a distinction in fine art. Just then, a sharp knock on the door interrupted my stream of thoughts. It must be Carl! He might have rescheduled his visit to his granny’s and finally decided to help me out. Yes, it must be him, he has always been there for me. I opened the door, and to my amazement, it wasn’t Carl. It was a tall boy with an innocent and repentant face. It was Bill! “What are you doing here?” I asked after recovering from my amazement. “I am sorry, Lucky. Please let me in. I can explain everything to you. I just wanted to talk to you in private. Just let me in.” I allowed my worst enemy into my house. I offered him a seat and a drink. I sat down myself as I watched Bill with anxiety. He looked really sorry. “I am here to apologise for everything bad that I have done to you. I am not really a bad person. I was just jealous of your achievements. I am indeed very sorry. I never hated you. I have always known that hatred is like an acid, it corrodes the humanity of those who drink it. Once again, I am indeed very sorry.” He said. “Thank God. And finally, you will bring out my missing project from where you hid it, wont you?” I asked him. “Honestly, I don’t have your project. You have to believe me, I didn’t even see it” “Apology accepted. But I really don’t want to lose those precious marks.” I replied. “Mrs. Kents is a strict teacher and she doesn’t accept late submission.” “Well, she gave me till tomorrow to submit it.” “That’s good news. You can still make a new one this evening.” “Bill, you don’t understand my predicament. It took me two days to draw and paint the missing project. I just can’t meet up.” There was silence for some time. Bill seemed to be thinking up a good idea. “Maybe, I could help. Mine took me four hours.” He finally said. “Four hours!” I exclaimed “Yes, four hours. Get your drawing sheet, pencil, brush and paint.” I led him to my study room and provided the necessary materials for him. His drawing was fast and accurate. It took him about five hours to make the drawing and paint it. To be frank, the new project looked quite glamorous. It was already evening by the time he finished. “Thank you, Bill. I am indeed very grateful.” “You shouldn’t mention it, the pleasure is surely mine.” Replied Bill, as I accompanied him to the gate. The next day, I submitted the project to Mrs. Kents. “What a wonderful work. Good job, boy.” She said as she collected the project from me.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 12:38am On Sep 06, 2016
Biko nu the floor is open for corrections, criticisms and bashing. Don't just read, comment.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:29pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER EIGHT THE LYING MIRROR Bill and I became closer afterwards. But funny things kept happening to me and around me within that same period. Everything seemed not to be going my way. My textbooks and notebooks were always missing. The most conspicuous of the ‘funny things’ happening to me was that each time other students items [such as money, books and watches] seemed to be missing and a search was conducted, it was found in my bag. My reputation was dented and there was a sort of mistrust. I was reported to Mrs. Rings on several occasions, she didn’t believe that I could do such. To be honest, I didn’t touch anybody’s item[s] let alone stealing them. I couldn’t just explain how those items kept appearing into my bag. I believed that someone was setting me up. Dr. Bitterfall seemed to be the happiest of all about this new development. I learnt that he had an argument with Mrs. Rings on why ‘Lucky, the thief’ was still prefect. He took the matter up and reported me to the head teacher- Mrs. Green. Then, Mrs. Green invited me to her office for an important discussion. * * * * * * * * * * * “Who do you suspect?” Carl asked me. “No one.” I answered “No one?” “Yes, no one.” “What of Bill. All these ‘funny things’ started happening to you the moment you two became closer. What about his threats?” Carl said looking very concerned. “He has changed for good.” “I don’t think so. Bill is evil. He nominated you during the election for the new prefect because he wanted you to win. He wanted to make a stealing prefect out of you. He is certainly responsible. I am almost certain” Carl said lowering his voice. “Don’t say things which you know nothing about. He apologized to me. He is a nice person and has been kind to me.” “He apologized at the right time. He apologized to make you take attention off him. The best time to strike your enemy is when he is not looking. His kindness is just to make him look innocent.” “Bill is not like that. He told me that he never hated me. According to him, hatred is an acid; it corrodes the humanity of those who drink it. I believe his humanity hasn’t been corroded. Hatred turns one into a monster, you lose your humanity, and you do inhumane things.” There was silence for a while. Carl seemed to be looking at me as if I were a naive child. “If the mirror could lie, then who can we trust?” He asked him “I don’t understand what you mean.” I answered very much perplexed. “When you raise your right hand in front of a mirror, your image in the mirror raises its left hand. It is deceitful, isn’t it?” He paused to take a breath, “the image is just trying to make you believe that raised left hand. Bill is just trying to be deceitful like the mirror. Just like the mirror, he is an imperfect perfect being.” Carl explained. “But the mirror’s image shows the way friends should be. The mirror’s image laughs when I laugh and it cries when I cry.” “But it’s still deceitful.” “Deceitful it may be, but the mirror still has its good sides, and it is worth being given the benefit of doubts, it is worth being trusted. Remember, Carl, no real person is perfect and no perfect person is real.” “I am a bit disappointed that this is coming from you. It is high time you woke up and smell the coffee.” I was beginning to find some sense in what Carl was saying. I will think about it. But for now, I have an appointment with Mrs. Green.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:32pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER NINE MRS. GREEN’S FEARS When I came into Mrs. Green’s office, she was sipping tea from a cup. “Please, sit down.” Mrs. Green said which I did. “I have been getting very negative reports about you. These bad reports have come from students and teachers. Even some parents have sent letters asking me to comment about the negative reports which they have learnt from their children. I have always covered up for you and will do my best to protect my students if they are accused wrongly of things which they know nothing about. But who knows, you might be a wolf in sheep’s clothing. To cut the long sermon short, Lucky, if you are responsible for stealing those missing items please stop it now. Stealing will only leave you with a bleak future. I know you can still change, a bright future awaits you if you just quit stealing.” Mrs. Green said sternly. I was dumbfounded that Mrs. Green of all people has lost her trust in me. I wondered what made her think that I was actually a thief. I felt like crying. But why should I cry? I was more than innocent and I was ready to defend myself. I should be man enough and speak my mind. “Mrs. Green, I didn’t do it. I think this is all a conspiracy. Somebody is setting me up. Someone is trying to make me to become what I’m not.” “Then put an end to all this conspiracy. I love my job. It is on the line, my reputation and everything that I have labored for years. I am afraid, if I get any other negative report concerning you, I might be forced to expel you from my school.”
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:33pm On Sep 10, 2016
* * * * * * * * * * * * I told Carl about my conversation with Mrs. Green. “I might be expelled.” I told him. “This is serious. I eavesdropped into Tom Bitterfall’s conversation with his friend Andrew. I heard him say that his father Dr. John Bitterfall will become the new head teacher in few weeks as his father has written to Lord Lovesweet- the proprietor telling him to sack the inefficient Mrs. Green and appointing him as the new head teacher as Mrs. Green was too bent in protecting ‘a thief.’ I felt like giving him a big knock when he said that.” Carl explained. “Mrs. Green is really under pressure and Dr. Bitterfall is not helping matters. I think my days in this school are numbered.” “Don’t lose hope. Lucky, I know that everything will be alright someday.” Carl’s kind words seemed to soothe my nerves a little but I was still worried. Just before school over, Bill approached me. I wanted to push him away and be left all alone. But, on a second thought, I decided to hear him out. “Lucky, I know how you feel. I only came to offer my help. I want to track down the culprit behind all this ‘nonsense’ happening to you.” He said with a smile on his face. “How am I to be sure that that you are not the culprit here? Just confess and save me from this mental breakdown.” “I’m not the one. Just trust me. Do you want me to help you or not?” He asked with smile on his face extending his right hand towards me. “Alright, go ahead with your plans.” I told him as we shook hands. I just wondered and couldn’t stop wondering what Bill was really up to.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:34pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER TEN THE LAST STRAW THAT BROKE THE CAMEL’S BACK After Wednesday’s physical exercise [P.E], we went into our classrooms to receive our lessons. Dr. Bitterfall was the first teacher to teach us that morning. Dr. Bitterfall told us to bring out our Enjoy Mathematics Textbook. I didn’t have the textbook, so I didn’t bother opening my bag. “I can’t find my textbook!” a voice from behind screamed. It was Tom Bitterfall. “Did you come to school with it?” Dr. Bitterfall asked. “Yes, I did.” Tom answered with certainty. “I want to conduct a search. If you know that you have the textbook, return it now or face my wrath.” Dr. Bitterfall said after some moments of silence. Nobody admitted taking it. Hence, a search was conducted. And guess in whose bag it was found in? In Lucky Lamb’s school bag! Yes, in my school bag. “I knew it. The grand slam thief at it again but I know that you won’t get away with this, this time around.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me to Mrs. Green’s office. “Always protecting him, having a thief in your school and you can’t take the right decision. Agnes, I am highly disappointed in you.” Dr. Bitterfall blasted the good old Mrs. Green after narrating how his son’s missing textbook was found in my bag. “John, please leave my office. I want to speak the boy in private.” Was all Mrs. Green could say. “This time around, he won’t get away with this.” Dr. Bitterfall muttered under his breath as he left her office. Mrs. Green was silent for some time. She was short of words as well as angry and furious. “I don’t know who is beating the drum to which you are dancing to. But one thing I know is that I won’t join you in such a show of shame. This case is out of my hands. I think it’s time I invited the disciplinary committee to tackle the case.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:36pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER ELEVEN BETTY PACK? Just then, there was a knock on the door. It was Andrew Johnson. Andrew Johnson was John Bitterfall’s best friend. “I have something to say. I think Lucky may not be guilty. I think Betty Pack has some explanations to make so as to prove her innocence.” “Betty Pack!” Mrs. Green and I exclaimed simultaneously. “Yes, Betty Pack. Earlier today, during the physical exercise in the morning, I observed that she was absent from the physical exercise. We are both in the same Pink House and she wasn’t in attendance.” Andrew explained. “Andrew, do you understand the implication of what you just said? How come her absence from the physical exercise was so conspicuous to you despite the fact that many students turned up for the physical exercise?” Mrs. Green inquired. “I am the pink house captain and it is my duty to take down the attendance of those that participated in the exercise. Her name was marked absent but few minutes after the physical exercise, I saw her in the class. I think it is necessary to know what she was doing during that period. I believe in my heart of hearts that Lucky is really innocent.” Andrew Johnson explained. Mrs. Green sent for Betty Pack to know what she had to say. Everything Andrew said seemed to make perfect sense. Betty has been acting very strange after she lost her position to me as the prefect. She seemed to have lost that bright smile of hers. Revenge was the only thing that must be on her mind after being demoted to the position of assistant prefect. When Betty entered Mrs. Green’s office, she denied vehemently ever being responsible for stealing Tom’s textbook and putting it in my bag. “I didn’t do it!” Betty cried out with absolute certainty. “Where were you during the physical exercise earlier this morning?” Mrs. Green inquired. Betty was silent. Tears were rolling down her eyes as Mrs. Green waited for her confession. But on a second thought, I realized that the Betty that I knew couldn’t do such a thing. She was an epitome of modesty, an honest person and a role model of the highest standard. “If you must know the truth, I didn’t do it. I was in the school clinic. I was having stomach ache before the physical exercise. Thus, I went to see the nurse-Miss Tessie- in the school clinic. She gave me some medications and placed me on a bed rest.” Betty answered. “Good Heavens! I haven’t come across a case as thrilling and complicated case as this. I think the school’s disciplinary committee will have to sort this one out.” Mrs. Green concluded.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:41pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER TWELVE MUM’S OPINION When I got home, my mother was at home. She didn’t go to the bakery as she didn’t feel too well in the morning. Carl followed me home. He compelled me to tell my mother about everything that has been going wrong with me at school. I told her about my troubles. She was simply amazed. “All these things have been happening to you and you kept mute all this while.” She replied. “I am sorry, mum. I thought that it was unnecessary to disturb you, I didn’t know that it will escalate into a more serious matter.” She was still unhappy about the situation of things. “Don’t be silly, you should have told me all the same.” Mum remarked. “I seriously believe that whosoever is responsible for putting those things in your bag wants you out of the school.” Carl suggested. “Do you suspect anyone?” Mum asked after a moment of silence. “Talking of suspects, there are a few people who have always disliked me. Dr. Bitterfall just dislikes me for no just reason. He might have planned with his intelligent son- Tom Bitterfall to force my expulsion.” I said recalling my experience at Dr. Bitterfall’s office. “I don’t think Tom would descend so low to that. The main suspect here should be Bill.”Carl replied. “Who is Bill?” My mum asked. “A tall boy who promised and threatened to make Lucky leave the school.” Carl said promptly. “This is getting complicated. I would like to see your head teacher tomorrow. It’s quite unfortunate that she doesn’t take the reputation of one of her best students seriously.” Mum chipped in. “You don’t understand, Dr. Bitterfall is pressuring her. He has written to the proprietor, Lord Lovesweet labeling her as incompetent for failing to expel or suspend Lucky.” Carl Told her. “And mind you, if I get expelled before the prize giving day, it will mean that there will be no grand slam award for me.” I let out the painful words. “And there is also Betty Packs. Her absence during the physical exercise has definitely caused eyebrows to be raised. But the school nurse has already testified that Betty was in the school clinic throughout the physical exercise. And Mrs. Rings locked our class during the exercise. Whoever that must have put that textbook in my bag must have had a spare key or was in the class when it was locked.” I added. “Never the less, I will like to have a word with your head teacher tomorrow.” Mum replied.
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 7:52pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER THIRTEEN JUDGEMENT DAY My mum wasn’t able to make it to my school that morning. She received an urgent phone call from her boss demanding her immediate presence at the bakery. At school, I learnt that the head teacher and the disciplinary committee had a meeting yesterday, and that they had brought out a solution to tackle the situation at hand. The disciplinary committee comprises of some teachers and a few parents. Coincidentally, Dr. Bitterfall was the chairman of this disciplinary committee. At noon, the head teacher asked all the students to come down to the school hall. Major announcements were made in the school hall. Also, school events are held in the school hall. “Good morning students.” Mrs. Green greeted. “Good morning, Mrs. Green.” The students chorused. “Let me hit the nail on the head. Strange things have been occurring in this school. Students’ items have gone missing and each time a search is conducted, they are found to be in possession of Lucky Lambs. Lucky Lambs isn’t a student of questionable character and he thinks someone is conspiring against him. Just yesterday, Tom’s expensive mathematics textbook got missing and it was found in Lucky’s bag. This prompted the subsequent meeting of the disciplinary committee and they have come out with a solution. For the progress of this school and to maintain its good reputation, the school management has decided to stripe Lucky of his yet to be awarded grand slam award and to suspend him indefinitely as a student of this school until further investigations are made.” Mrs. Green said with a deep sense of regret. There was instant murmuring as soon as she made her last statement. I felt horrible and terrible as she made the last statement. She had to signal for quietness before the murmuring elapsed. “Lucky Lambs please walk up to the rostrum to collect your letter of indefinite suspension.” She added. Dr. Bitterfall’s face was as though Christmas had come a month earlier. I felt very bad and I couldn’t feel my legs. I wanted to cry but my eyes were not cooperating with my emotions. Somehow, I managed to walk up to the rostrum and it felt like I was floating on air. Just as I was about taking the letter, a familiar tiny voice interrupted. “He didn’t do it, I have my evidence.” The tiny voice said. The tiny voice was quite audible enough for anyone present to hear. It was Bill! “Shut up little boy.” Dr. Bitterfall barked. “John, let’s hear him out.” Mrs. Green replied. Dr. Bitterfall wasn’t happy; he didn’t want Bill to interrupt the show. Bill might have finally owned up and was about to confess that he was the culprit after all, that he was the person trying to make me look like the bad egg. My ears were itching to hear the most emotional and compassionate confessions of all time. Bill walked up to the rostrum with all confidence. “I have a very big evidence to prove that Lucky is innocent. I observed that almost every time we go for physical exercise every Wednesday, a student’s item will get lost, and each time a search is conducted, it will be found in Lucky’s bag. I have always known Lucky as a good student. He can’t behave in such a way knowing that his reputation would be dented. I decided to track down the culprit. Yesterday, I hid behind the class window; I had my new digital camera with me. I believed that the culprit performs this awful operation when nobody was in the class and must have the class key as well as Lucky’s locker key. I belong to the red house. The red house unlike the pink house does not take the attendance of those who participated in the physical exercise. Hence, my absence wasn’t easily noticed unlike Betty whose absence was observed by Andrew Johnson. I waited patiently hiding behind the window. Then someone sneaked into the classroom, opened Tom’s bag, brought out Tom’s Mathematics textbook. This same person opened Lucky’s bag and hid the textbook in Lucky’s bag. I took photographs of him while he was doing all of these.” Bill concluded. He handed the photographs to Mrs. Green. I stretched out my neck to have a view of the pictures. And to the greatest of my surprise…………..
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 9:39pm On Sep 10, 2016
CHAPTER FOURTEEN
Re: Lucky Lambs And The Grand Slam Award by Cdstars(m): 9:46pm On Sep 10, 2016
Osaze2009, Ashatoda, rex1. The story just ended.were you thrilled or did you know the end before the story began?

To all my readers, please don't forget to drop your comments.

(1) (Reply)

Stay Motivated... Be Positive ! / Negus Nagast / Atlas: The Power To Change Everything

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.