Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:31 PM

Help! Which Is Correct? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Help! Which Is Correct? (970 Views)

Best Possible Or Possible Best, Which Is Correct Or More Correct? / Which Of These Sentences Is Correct "Come And Collect It" Or "Come Collect It?" / Which One Is Correct (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 9:00am On Aug 30, 2016
Literati and pedanticus in the house, abeg which is grammatically correct between ANYWAY and ANYWAYS.

The little research I've done clearly points to the former: google says it's ANYWAY. My dictionary does not even have an entry for ANYWAYS ( or is it outdated?).

But the increasing popularity in the use of ANYWAYS - even by Nollywood actors and actresses - has raised doubt and confusion about the actual appropriate one.

ANYWAY OR ANYWAYS: which is grammatically correct?
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by alegbeleye(m): 9:05am On Aug 30, 2016
Anyway is correct........ We can add anywayses though. cool
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Lovetinz(m): 9:16am On Aug 30, 2016
Anyway, Anyways, or Any Way

Anyways

The adverb anyways is extremely informal, and indicates the speaker is resuming a narrative thread or changing the topic of discussion. It’s not a word you should use in formal writing.

I never did understand numbers very well. Anyways, I’ve decided to move from financing into tech support.

Anyway

Anyway can be used to mean in any case. This adverb is acceptable in formal writing, but intentions may be better expressed by the use of a variation of in any case. Consider your audience when choosing the adverb.

Paris is expensive, but many people would like to vacation there, anyway.

Paris is expensive, but many people would like to vacation there, in any case.

Any way

When written as two words, any way can be replaced by in any manner or by by any means.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them any way they can.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them in any manner they can.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them by any means they can.

All of these adverbs are acceptable in formal writing.

I don’t mind staying home from the party because I don’t feel all that well, any way.

Because any way cannot be replaced with in any manner, it should be written as one word: anyway.

https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/grammar/adjectives-and-adverbs/15/anyway-anyways-or-any-way/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 30, 2016
Lovetinz:

Anyway, Anyways, or Any Way

Anyways

The adverb anyways is extremely informal, and indicates the speaker is resuming a narrative thread or changing the topic of discussion. It’s not a word you should use in formal writing.

I never did understand numbers very well. Anyways, I’ve decided to move from financing into tech support.

Anyway

Anyway can be used to mean in any case. This adverb is acceptable in formal writing, but intentions may be better expressed by the use of a variation of in any case. Consider your audience when choosing the adverb.

Paris is expensive, but many people would like to vacation there, anyway.

Paris is expensive, but many people would like to vacation there, in any case.

Any way

When written as two words, any way can be replaced by in any manner or by by any means.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them any way they can.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them in any manner they can.

To get students to read, teachers often bribe them by any means they can.

All of these adverbs are acceptable in formal writing.

I don’t mind staying home from the party because I don’t feel all that well, any way.

Because any way cannot be replaced with in any manner, it should be written as one word: anyway.

https://www.grammarly.com/handbook/grammar/adjectives-and-adverbs/15/anyway-anyways-or-any-way/

This is useful. Thanks for sharing it.

Given the very informal nature of anyways, I'd rather not use it at all - in formal or informal situation.
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 9:48am On Aug 30, 2016
alegbeleye:
Anyway is correct........ We can add anywayses though. cool

Sorry, why can we add anyways though?
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 6:54am On Mar 25, 2017
Ladrang:
Literati and pedanticus in the house, abeg which is grammatically correct between ANYWAY and ANYWAYS.

The little research I've done clearly points to the former: google says it's ANYWAY. My dictionary does not even have an entry for ANYWAYS ( or is it outdated?).

But the increasing popularity in the use of ANYWAYS - even by Nollywood actors and actresses - has raised doubt and confusion about the actual appropriate one.

ANYWAY OR ANYWAYS: which is grammatically correct?
Are you an English students?
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Mar 25, 2017
sheeda995:
Are you an English students?
...was an English student.
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 6:50pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ladrang:

I love your write ups, infact, learning from them
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 7:36pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ladrang:

will love to be your student sir
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Mar 25, 2017
sheeda995:
I love your write ups, infact, learning from them
I'm honoured.
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 7:54pm On Mar 25, 2017
Ladrang:

I'm honoured.
Allow me to be your student
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Mar 25, 2017
sheeda995:

will love to be your student sir

Firstly, please remove the "sir". Thanks.

Secondly, I would also love to be your teacher too, but it is just that I'm also a student (though not school kind of student). Every day I learn from people, both dead and alive; I learn also from things: nature, animal.

Don't just want to be my student, be everyone's student too, by learning from everyone. The best kind of student is he/she who learns from everyone and everything — through reading everything and anything, and through observing/studying.

Again, I'm honoured.
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 6:32pm On Mar 26, 2017
Ladrang:

Firstly, please remove the "sir". Thanks.

Secondly, I would also love to be your teacher too, but it is just that I'm also a student (though not school kind of student). Every day I learn from people, both dead and alive; I learn also from things: nature, animal.

Don't just want to be my student, be everyone's student too, by learning from everyone. The best kind of student is he/she who learns from everyone and everything — through reading everything and anything, and through observing/studying.

Again, I'm honoured.
how do we go about it sir?which part will you like to tutor me, and with what method will you like to guide me?
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by Nobody: 10:50pm On Mar 26, 2017
sheeda995:

how do we go about it sir?which part will you like to tutor me, and with what method will you like to guide me?

OK. Can I mail you?
Re: Help! Which Is Correct? by sheeda995(f): 5:51am On Mar 27, 2017
Ladrang:

OK. Can I mail you?
.yep

(1) (Reply)

True!!!! / The Tale Of A Private Lesson Teacher / Professional B2B Content Writer Needed ASAP!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.