Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:30 AM

Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music (552 Views)

"Copycat Olamide Stole My Look" - Cobhams Asuquo (Photos) / Wizkid: Shatta Wale Blast Nigerians Says They Can’t Write Nor Speak Good English / Cobhams And Mayorkun Meet For The First Time [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music by JAYTUNEZ(m): 3:27pm On Aug 30, 2016
Despite being visually impaired, Cobhams Asuquo is a talented musician, producer, and songwriter and has continued to make himself relevant in the Nigerian entertainment industry.

The singer who recently covered the face of Guardian Life Magazine gave in details how he takes his time to make good music and his hopes for the Nigerian music scene.

While speaking on why most Nigerians don't relate to his type of music as they do with other styles, Cobhams said;
I think Nigerians are not responsive to a lot of music I feature because we have the radio, and the gate keepers control what we absorb and consider to be music. A lot of the time, what gets heavy rotation is what people want to hear on the radio, and in the clubs, and they become the standard while everything else becomes alternative.

For example, Waje released a song Koko Baby with Diamond Platnumz, which is a great song that can sit anywhere with songs from Flavor or anyone else. But because it was by Waje, who people consider to be an alternative artist, it made it to alternative charts as it wasn’t considered a popular or “Jollof” song. I think Nigerians respond to what we are fed by the radio, and TV, and a lot of the people who create the music which is now considered alternative either don’t have the means or don’t know how to put it in the right spaces where they could be heard.

If you think about it, Adekunle Gold, Simi, and Aramide, are people who are blessed with the opportunities and means to put their music out there and are doing great things while getting into the “Jollof space” without having to compromise. I think, our gate keepers have a role to play in introducing Nigerians to variety because music isn’t just made of Jollof music which I love and make sometimes if I absolutely must. But I also think that, radio stations, TV stations and people who control the blogger-sphere have a role to play in helping Nigerians who have different taste pallets feel a sense of inclusion but also including the rest of Nigeria to this kind of music.

If you think about it, we are one the biggest consumers of ballads besides Korea and a bunch of others. For a long time, we loved Celine Dion, Brian McKnight, West Life and the rest. We are still those people, and it’s just a question of what the media is feeding us as a people and how this is slowly defining us and our tastes.

http://www.tunezmediablog.com/2016/08/popular-producer-cobhams-asuquo-blast.html?m=1

Lalasticlala Fynestboi MissyB3 Ijebabe Ishilove

Re: Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music by goldbim(f): 4:08pm On Aug 30, 2016
Wow!quite insightful!.he's not far from the truth though..i also believe good publicity/promotion matters also...@least most of those artiste he mentioned are even well celebrated here..how about the upcoming acts that DJ's /presenters'll charge a certain amount before they can even play their songs ..we'll get there some day..all the same,a good artiste is a good artiste and 'll definitely be recognized..if not by all but a few reasonable crowd...
Re: Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music by Airforce1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 30, 2016
Honestly i didn't read all that.
Re: Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music by PrinceAbinibi: 4:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
ok
Re: Popular Producer, Cobhams Asuquo Blast Nigerians Promoting 'jollof' Music by OKorowanta: 4:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
JOLLOF miuzik don hep crowd.
IYANYA switched to JOLLOF with KUKERE and the results are there for all.
Harrysong-jollof,
Yemi Alade-jollof,
Davido,Wizkid-Jollof
Olamide-indigenous jollof King,
Timi Dakolo,Praiz and few not getting enuff recognition/endorsement.
MODENINE-JOLLOF=suffer.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Lil Wayne Annouce Retirement From Music / Happy Birthday To Mosunmola 'MO' Abudu / So Hillarious:, Funke Akindele Captured Dancing In A Kitchen In London

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.