Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,184 members, 7,853,048 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:32 AM

13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor (2664 Views)

French Fashion Designer "Hubert De Givenchy" Dies Aged 91 / Hubert Wigwe’s Access Bank In Customer’s Account Freezing Mess / Lekan Babalola - Nigeria's First Grammy Award Winner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
Late chief Hubert Ogunde is known as the father and pioneer of the Nigerian entertainment industry even in death. Literary giant Wole Soyinka called him grand old man of Nigerian theatre.

cc : lalasticlala, Dominique

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
Born on the May 31, 1916 at Ososa, Odogbolu local government in Ogun state, Ogunde died on April 4, 1990 at the age of 73.
He was one Yoruba actor that became a national legend for his anticolonial plays during the colonial era. His plays though presented in Yoruba language was watched in Nigeria, Africa and abroad. Even in death, Ogunde is referred to as the doyen of African Theatre.

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 12:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
1. His works cut across various niches of the Nigerian landscape, from fiery political dramas that got him jailed to delicious social satires to biting morality-based plays
2. Ogunde started out as a school teacher and later joined the Nigeria Police Force from where he started his first theatre group.

3. His first theatrical performance was on June 12, 1944 titled The Garden of Eden and the Throne of God in which Ogunde acted the serpent.

4. His Tiger’s Empire premiered on March 4, 1946 was the first time in Yoruba theatre that women appeared in a play as professional artists on their own terms and were duly paid.

5. Music and dancing were prominent features of Ogunde’s performances. This he arrived at after he noticed losses in his drama that did not have music thus his inclusion of music in his plays and thus called them concert
6. His play Yoruba Ronu (Yorubas Think!), 1964 was the first literary work to be banned in Nigeria. The ban was lifted in 1966 when a new government came in.

7. Ogunde was said to always play to a full house and the audience was always reluctant to leave at the end of the play.

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Zdoh(m): 12:20pm On Sep 02, 2016
I airn't listen to any music this day if not Pa Hubert Ogunde.
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 12:25pm On Sep 02, 2016
8. Ogunde was featured specially by Ebony magazine for the October 1969 edition. He was on a 36 week tour of UK with his Ogunde Dancers and eight wives.

9. Ogunde founded the National Troupe in 1986 but was formally established in 1989 when Ogunde was made the first artistic director.

10. He was Grand Patron of the Association of Theatre Practitioners of Nigeria (ANTP) in 1974 until his death.

11. Ogunde was the first person to have managed a mixed company (men and women on stage) in West Africa.

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 02, 2016
12. He was an advocate of one man many wives. Ogunde had 12 wives because in his days, women were not allowed to act plays. In order to have actresses for his plays he decided to marry them and make them actresses
13. In his 35 years as an artist, Ogunde composed over 50 operas, plays and melodramas

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Perfecttouch(m): 12:52pm On Sep 02, 2016
KissChris:
Late chief Hubert Ogunde is known as the father and pioneer of the Nigerian entertainment industry even in death. Literary giant Wole Soyinka called him grand old man of Nigerian theatre.
make I lie down for here first
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Perfecttouch(m): 12:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
Zdoh:
I airn't listen to music this day if not Pa Ogunde.
shai
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Perfecttouch(m): 12:57pm On Sep 02, 2016
KissChris:
12. He was an advocate of one man many wives. Ogunde had 12 wives because in his days, women were not allowed to act plays. In order to have actresses for his plays he decided to marry them and make them actresses
13. In his 35 years as an artist, Ogunde composed over 50 operas, plays and melodramas
cc smellymouth , u get any of him lyrics?

1 Like

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by teesugar(f): 1:02pm On Sep 02, 2016
I so much love the yoruba ronu track. Gives me a kinda feeling.
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Smellymouth: 1:07pm On Sep 02, 2016
Perfecttouch:
cc smellymouth , u get any of him lyrics?

YORUBA RONU==> Hubert Ogunde...

Mo wo Ile Aye o, aye sa malamala/
Mo ma b’oju w’orun okunkun losu bo’le/
Mo ni eri eyi o, kini sele si Yoruba omo Alade/
Kini sele si Yoruba omo Odua/
Ye, ye, ye, yeye, ye awa mase hun, oro nla nbe/
Yoruba nse r’awon nitori Owó, Yoruba jin r’awon l’ese nitori ipò/
Won gbebi f’alare, won gba’re f’elebi/
Won pe olè ko wa ja, won tun pe oloko wa mu/
Ogbon ti won gbon lo gbe won de Ilé Olà, ogbon na lo tun padawa si tunde won mole/
Awon ti won ti n s’Oga lojo to ti pe, tun pada wa d’eni a n f’owo ti s’eyin/
Yo, yo, yo, Yoruba yo yo yo bi ina ale; Yoruba ru ru ru bi Omi Òkun; Yoruba baba nse…Yo yo Yoruba ronu o...

REST IN PEACE SAAH...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 02, 2016
Smellymouth:

Ogbon ti won gbon lo gbe won de Ilé Olà, ogbon na lo tun padawa si tunde won mole/
Yo, yo, yo, Yoruba yo yo yo bi ina ale; Yoruba ru ru ru bi Omi Òkun; Yoruba baba nse…Yo yo Yoruba ronu o...

REST IN PEACE SAAH...

Bro, you try o

1 Like

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Smellymouth: 1:11pm On Sep 02, 2016
KissChris:

Bro, you try o

Bros, na Google EPP me oo..
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 02, 2016
Smellymouth:

Bros, na Google EPP me oo..
And I dey hail You
gringrin

1 Like

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Batlan01: 1:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
Smellymouth:

REST IN PEACE SAAH...
Mad Jam!

2 Likes

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Perfecttouch(m): 3:27pm On Sep 02, 2016
Smellymouth:

REST IN PEACE SAAH...
i so much love this smellymouth guy no homo

1 Like

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Smellymouth: 3:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
Perfecttouch:

Alaye, I greet you specially!! grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by HERSLEY(f): 5:14pm On Sep 02, 2016
I see smiley
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by HERSLEY(f): 5:15pm On Sep 02, 2016
Perfecttouch:
I smell it already, dont tell us no homo cool shocked
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Perfecttouch(m): 5:19pm On Sep 02, 2016
HERSLEY:
I smell it already, dont tell us no homo cool shocked
abeg my wife just gave birth today ni o and I don't like making my family affairs public I for don paste am. Me na tearer of woman yansh o and I despise gay like mad
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by HERSLEY(f): 5:40pm On Sep 02, 2016
Perfecttouch:
abeg my wife just gave birth today ni o and I don't like making my family affairs public I for don paste am. Me na tearer of woman yansh o and I despise gay like mad
lol mabinu just joking sir grin
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by Nobody: 6:23pm On Sep 02, 2016
HERSLEY:
lol mabinu just joking sir grin
Nice DP ..especially the 3rd one cheesy
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by HERSLEY(f): 6:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
Jarizod:
Nice DP ..especially the 3rd one cheesy
hmmmm close ur eyes o... Na person get am tongue
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by cyojunior1(m): 7:33pm On Sep 02, 2016
ODuduwan's being making tins happen since 106 Bc
Re: 13 Facts About Hubert Ogude , Nigeria's First Actor by IamNawty(f): 7:14am On Sep 03, 2016
I prefare odunlade and sanyeri kiss mad pple grin

(1) (Reply)

Check Out Hilarious Meme From Twitter Trend "The Floor Is" / IK Ogbonna's Wife Sonia Looking Sexy In A Bikini / Wizkid Slap Tiwa Savave Butt, Tiwa Attempted to Return it With Slap. Video

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.