Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,521 members, 7,819,876 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox (1328 Views)

Reg 03 Camry With 05 Rear Lights @1.1m Asking / SOLD**Awesome Toks '05 Toyota Sienna** / 2004/05 Toyota Corolla Sports Toks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by Manuella4ace: 8:46pm On Sep 04, 2016
2 months ago my rav 4 gearbox started having problems of not entering reverse gear, and to not selecting gear at all.
I visited one mechanic and he told me.my gear box is bad, that I will but another one. so we went to the market to get a tokunbo gearbox, and found one which cost almost #130,000 to purchase. the mechanic fixed the new gearbox and everything was fine, but just yesterday, I noticed the reverse gear is now working, and when I put it on drive it just select gear 1 and 2 and when it gets to 3 it the gear will dis engage like that of neutral.

I don't know what to do anymore. I just need advice on how to solve this issue.

expert I.need your help.
Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by Donald7610: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2016
The brain box might not be compatible new gear box
Having gearbox problem
Just change to manual gear box
Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by princetom1(m): 9:49pm On Sep 04, 2016
Manuella4ace:
2 months ago my rav 4 gearbox started having problems of not entering reverse gear, and to not selecting gear at all.
I visited one mechanic and he told me.my gear box is bad, that I will but another one. so we went to the market to get a tokunbo gearbox, and found one which cost almost #130,000 to purchase. the mechanic fixed the new gearbox and everything was fine, but just yesterday, I noticed the reverse gear is now working, and when I put it on drive it just select gear 1 and 2 and when it gets to 3 it the gear will dis engage like that of neutral.

expert I.need your help.
Your grammar try oga sir.

Let's see,

cc: GAZZUZZ, Kingreign, CARDOCTOR
Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by kingreign(m): 10:03pm On Sep 04, 2016
Donald7610:
The brain box might not be compatible new gear box
Having gearbox problem
Just change to manual gear box

Very wrong advice. OP no even think of this advice pls.

1 Like

Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by kingreign(m): 10:06pm On Sep 04, 2016
Manuella4ace:

expert I.need your help.

What ATF did the Technician put in the gearbox when he installed it?

NOTE: select Toyota rav4 2002-2005 (American specs inclusive) has a problematic ECM which if not rectified could damage the transmission.
Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by eminikansoso(m): 10:15pm On Sep 04, 2016
kingreign:

What ATF did the Technician put in the gearbox when he installed it?

NOTE: select Toyota rav4 2002-2005 (American specs inclusive) has a problematic ECM which if not rectified could damage the transmission.
you are right and if the problem persists take your car to good car electrician to scan your car.
possible problems could be from gear brainbox or gear sensor
Re: Having Problem With 05 Toyota Rav4 Gearbox by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:37am On Sep 05, 2016

My assumptions are that the Rav4 in question is the 2003-2005 4cylinder type.
the reverse gear selection of most transmissions Do not require any transmission Ecu function to work, if reverse gear is not functional you have a big problem with the transmission (Friction plates) that being said, vehicle in question is a rav4 commonly known for engine/transmission Ecu issues that result in failure of the transmission long term.

Your transmission for rav4 is over 200k, what you got was a transmission for a different vehicle and a few parts from your old gear were used to make it functional.

For your current issue start by draining the transmission oil, inspect it for metallic particles if excessive replace transmission. (again) also replace transmission filter. And transmission oil with TIV or WS (which ever you can afford)

You might need another engine/transmission ecu contact OROZ for this.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sold! Sold!! Sold!!! Toks Corolla 2005 For Sale @ 1.9m (ilesha) / Fairly Used 2002 Toyota Sienna / 2003 Toyota Camry Sport , Neatly Used

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.