Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,827 members, 7,810,179 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? (705 Views)

Different Types Of Nigerian Mothers (MEME COLLECTION) / 6 Hilarious Ways Nigerian Mothers Make Conversation With Children / Nigerian Mothers....Always Over Protective! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? by nedu2000(m): 7:51am On Sep 05, 2016
It's been the focus of funny memes. The Nigerian mother. The slaps,the discipline,the orders. Maybe in our society it's fine on little children but what if the child is over 25yrs of age?!
My friend's fiancée confided in me how how her mum still beats her, acts cruel to her and specifically sends her on demeaning missions at home,this girl is getting married next year. She says that her mum is a terror to her and how marriage (to my friend) is her escape route.
I didn't take it as anything until my current chic,Ife, got engulfed in such bullying.Now Ife is the only product of the union between her late dad and her mum,who would then remarry and have 4 kids for her second husband. For some strange reason and the excuse of poverty at the time,Ife was not formally educated as she dropped out in primary 2! I need not add that her step-siblings are all engaged in various levels of education. Ife's mum still beats her and in some ways humiliates her,she has tried to make her mum like her,she bakes a cake for her mum on her birthday and tries all she came to please her all to no avail.
Let me add a bit of info,Ife is 29yrs of age,works in a bakery close to her mum's shop so after work takes charge of the shop. She has been planning to move out of the house but doesn't know how to tell her mum. Ife is a very fast learner(like wolverine is a fast healer)-i taught her to drive in 2 days and she only learnt to speak fluent english via-Hollywood movies/novels. I want to help her as despite being educationally disadvantaged she's learnt foreign etiquette and doesn't ask for sharwama and recharge card from random strangers
Nigerian mothers can be bullies.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? by Davash222(m): 8:41am On Sep 05, 2016
... i taught her to drive in 2 days and she only learnt
to speak fluent english via-Hollywood movies/novels. I want to
help her as despite being educationally disadvantaged she's learnt
foreign etiquette "

Instead of you to teach her the basic things she needed most, you are teaching her how to drive.

Drive whose car, kwanu?

Ife's mother beats her and humilate her, at 29?

You need to tell your Bae to try and be more aggressive anytime the woman tries to beat her again, she should stop being a child and face her challenges.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? by K9blunt(f): 8:44am On Sep 05, 2016
Then advise her to get a job as side her mom's business and then get out of her mom's house.

Her destiny is in her own hands, but under no circumstance should she get married as an escape rout, she will regret it as many men will see her desperation and take advantage of her, her husband may turn out to be a raging beast. So it will be a case of from fry pan to fire.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? by Fkforyou(m): 8:47am On Sep 05, 2016
Emmm...Don't generalize cos you haven't met all naija mother or was your mum like that towards your sister(s)?

Anyway the possible reason why those women you mentioned act the way they do could be as a result of the negative thoughts or emotions they have inside of them I.e guilt, shame or jealousy....so they tend to transfer their aggression to the person closest to them instead dealing with their issues.

As for your babe, bros abeg marry her and put her for school, no be driving she want chop...but if you no want marry her, abeg free her ASAP make you no waste her time and destroy what's left of her self esteem.
Re: Why Do Most Nigerian Mothers Act As Bullies Even To their +20yr Old Daughters? by nedu2000(m): 10:47am On Sep 05, 2016
Davash222:
... i taught her to drive in 2 days and she only learnt
to speak fluent english via-Hollywood movies/novels. I want to
help her as despite being educationally disadvantaged she's learnt
foreign etiquette "

Instead of you to teach her the basic things she needed most, you are teaching her how to drive.

Drive whose car, kwanu?

Ife's mother beats her and humilate her, at 29?

You need to tell your Bae to try and be more aggressive anytime the woman tries to beat her again, she should stop being a child and face her challenges.

nooo,the need to drive is/was secondary I used that to illustrate the sharp mind she possesses. It's really unfortunate,but facing up to the same woman who owns where you inhabit isn't particularly wise is it? She'll move out soon (not to my place oh) with or without her mum's consent and i'm trying to arrange a job for her and a part-time O'level program. It will help her but mama mayn't be too happy

(1) (Reply)

If Ur Pastor Slap Ur Parent 4 Attending Anoder Church 4 Jst A Day, Wat Wuld U Do / 20 Ways To Make Someone Happy Today / Nigeria's No.1 Home/office Movers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.