Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,183 members, 7,818,590 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:23 PM

SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist (50034 Views)

10 Common Words Nigerians Use Everyday That Don't Exist / 5 Words Nigerians Use That Doesn't Actually Exist In The Dictionary / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by adedemmy: 10:14pm On Sep 05, 2016
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my assertion,till they manage to invent a popular version of English like we did (Pidgin English), they can keep on doubting.
Although there are many awesome things Nigerians do, we do have some face palm moments. Don't laugh too hard at the five words Nigerians use that doesn't exist in the English dictionary:

1. Installmentally
This doesn't exist anywhere else except only in
Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search
"Installmentally" on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

2. Night-Vigil
This is another one I don't understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

3. Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be
extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn't exist.

4. Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European
custom of watching over a corpse till it's buried
(called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as "wake keep" or even "wake keeping".

5. Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean "cunning". How is that for a giant leap forward?

Source: http://betterpikins..com/2016/09/5-words-nigerians-use-that-actually.html

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ministeriallist: 10:24pm On Sep 05, 2016
Ok

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Chimarto: 11:39pm On Sep 05, 2016
Short Niker grin

152 Likes 4 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by amunekeuto: 2:09am On Sep 06, 2016
No 6- pucci.

3 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by ngoben(f): 6:01am On Sep 06, 2016
Wetin u mean self OP...nigerians r creative...we r innovative....oxford dict fit c am borrow am put inside dictionary

137 Likes 5 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by weedfada(m): 6:52am On Sep 06, 2016
Oh well, for me the word "disvirgin" is okay as long as "Dis-" is the prefix which connotes the removal of something.

110 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 06, 2016
no 7 change

74 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Angelo45(m): 9:03am On Sep 06, 2016
Cousin brother or cousin sister.. I hear dat often

28 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by decub: 9:08am On Sep 06, 2016
ngoben:
Wetin u mean self OP...nigerians r creative...we r innovative....oxford dict fit c am borrow am put inside dictionary
Same way they have taken BRUH!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Swizdoe(m): 9:31am On Sep 06, 2016
Install - mentally grin

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by danieljessy: 9:50am On Sep 06, 2016
[/b]m not following sad

1 Like

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by fairheven: 9:53am On Sep 06, 2016
if they don't exist, who says they can't be invented? if Beyonce invented the word "bootylicious" why can't those words be invented as well, must always follow the rules and miss the fun?

85 Likes 7 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 06, 2016
If just a single Japanese invented the word; WORKSHOP. What's bad if a whole country like Nigeria and it's citizens invented those words??

OP, go sleep

Lemme tell yhu something, my name is abuayman, and I was the one who DisVirgin my Wife.

SHIKENAN

56 Likes 3 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 10:10am On Sep 06, 2016
V is for virgin
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by sommyblaze(m): 11:50am On Sep 06, 2016
I love 9ja abeg

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Vevo(m): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
ministeriallist:
Scammer grin
Scammer... An English word for sure... cool

2 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by junnyjake(m): 2:44pm On Sep 06, 2016
Pidgin English is not only spoken in Nigeria, though I'm not sure if it we were the original pioneers of pidgin.

It's spoken in some other West African countries like Liberia and Sierra Leone, if you've ever heard them speak, they sound waffi.

Words are formed through affixation and preffixation, with that I think anyone has should be able to form a new word from existing ones, as this leads to variation of language.

Though most of the times there's semantic interference with language, this also bear new words. This is why I see mathematics simpler as it is universal
whereas, English as difficult caz of it's numerous variations.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by gulfer: 2:56pm On Sep 06, 2016
What about GYMING at the Gym angry angry

2 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by satowind(m): 6:15am On Sep 07, 2016
op calm down. U are cunningly funny... If dere is american english, british english, austrian english etc why can't dere be nigeria english?... De dictionary writers are just racist jor and we don't have to respect dere opinion

15 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 07, 2016
Point taken......but not that dy are wrong, dy issue is dat dy dnt knw it...quess we hav to help thm knw it

1 Like

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Chiscomax(m): 8:34am On Sep 08, 2016
Lalasticlala you don baff?
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by adedemmy: 8:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
10 Nigerian Universities With The Most Beautiful Girls (With Pictures) – You Need To See Number 1

Nigerian Universities with the most beautiful girls – Every University in thiscountry is blessed with beautiful rose flowers. This post is a highlight of 10 Nigerian Universities with the Most Beautiful girls when the average of beauties in each campus is measured.
10. Ahmadu Bello University (ABU)
A school of pretty, intelligent and innocent northern girls. You can hardly find such array of beautiful northern girls in any campus..my future wife is from here..lol!
9. Anambra State University (ANSU)
Filled with blessed future mothers with pretty figures you do like to see every morning when you wake and every night before you sleep.
8. University of Nigeria Nsukka (UNN)
The school of lions and lionesses. These lionesses are so intelligent, pretty and homely that you do like to take them to your mama.
7. Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU)
Trust me, I have personally been to this school before. Just incase you decide to write JAMB again or you are writing JAMB now and you see a pretty young girl near you, ask for her school of choice, it will be OAU.
6. Covenant University (CU)
The school for the rich and religious minded… The school for the overly beautiful Nigerian half spoilt/half alright babes. The girls of CU are combination of beauty and Brains and most importantly, these beauty and brains are expensive, I mean, really expensive!!
5. University of Portharcourt (UNIPORT)
A school of solid chicks..i call them ‘Ororo babes’ (oil babes) The Oil money around the vicinity turns even the ugly to beauties. All the beautiful girls you have seen and your head couldn’t understand why a human being could be that beautiful must have a root in UNIPORT.
4. Lagos State University (LASU)
In this multi ethnic city of Lagos, a great deal of beauties from across the country seek admission into Lagos state university, the next time you enter a taxi and you see pretty girl by your side, tell her you are a LASU student or graduate and she will hug you very well and tell you her department.
http://betterpikins..in/2016/10/10-nigerian-universities-with-most.html
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by YourNemesis: 6:33am On Oct 13, 2016
20th time on front page...
We don hear, but we no go ever stop to dey use them. grin

2 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Agimor(m): 6:33am On Oct 13, 2016
That's why we are Nigerians..

2 Likes

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by AxeurdaddyIX: 6:33am On Oct 13, 2016
We have British English, American English, Australian English.

This is Nigerian English!!!
EOD.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Zaikon(m): 6:33am On Oct 13, 2016
Op who say it's not existing.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Agimor(m): 6:35am On Oct 13, 2016
Imagine this thread was created 11 years ago we can only imagine if the person as not change it's moniker.
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Vaxt(m): 6:35am On Oct 13, 2016
Shey
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by andreawills96(f): 6:36am On Oct 13, 2016
Bros d last time I checked,english is a combination of words. From other languages, so we are free to create our own

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 13, 2016
adedemmy:
Nigerians are one of the most creative people on the planet. While non-Nigerians may doubt my assertion,till they manage to invent a popular version of English like we did (Pidgin English), they can keep on doubting.
Although there are many awesome things Nigerians do, we do have some face palm moments. Don't laugh too hard at the five words Nigerians use that doesn't exist in the English dictionary:

1. Installmentally
This doesn't exist anywhere else except only in
Nigeria. If you doubt this, just search
"Installmentally" on google and watch only Nigerian sites pop up.

2. Night-Vigil
This is another one I don't understand. Does anyone ever hold a vigil during the day?

3. Disvirgin
How hard is it to say deflowered? It must be
extremely difficult because even health professionals and newsmen use this absurd word that doesn't exist.

4. Wake Keeping (Wake keep)
Nigerians have not only made the old European
custom of watching over a corpse till it's buried
(called a wake) theirs, they have actually renamed it. Please, there is no such phrase as "wake keep" or even "wake keeping".

5. Cunny
This is not meant as a euphemism for the female body part. When Nigerians say this word, they mean "cunning". How is that for a giant leap forward?

Source: http://betterpikins..com/2016/09/5-words-nigerians-use-that-actually.html
Yawnsss
Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by martineverest(m): 6:37am On Oct 13, 2016
op,stop forming ITK...its called nigerians english.

'off head' is a good example of nigerian english and its recognised by encarta dictionary as nigerian english word.
'419' is another nigerian english word that is recognised and used in general english.

We have zimbabwean english,kenya english,south african english etc and they are all recognised form of english(check the languages of most phone,u ll see them )...its because of this over-sabi attitude that make nigerian english in recognised

1 Like

Re: SHOCKING! 5 Words Nigerians Use That Actually Don’t Exist by midolian(m): 6:37am On Oct 13, 2016
And who doesn't know all of these?

Expected to see new things

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prof. Femi Soyinka, Brother To Wole Soyinka Is dead / Old Man Writing JAMB In Ondo (Photos) / Guess The Subject

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.