Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,483 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:37 PM

Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free (3296 Views)

Learn Musical Instruments & Theory Of Music / (ALBUM) Gedes-the Waiter's Theory(mixtape) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 11:41am On Sep 06, 2016
Hello music lovers. How well do you know music? Okay, let me rephrase. What is the difference between a tie and a slur? What is a crescendo? What is a grupetto? What is the value of a minim? Any clue? I'm willing to teach you all these and more.

This thread, which is powered by Jazzy Mobile Music College(JAMOMUCO), is intended to provide free tutorials on theoritical music. It will be highly beneficial to those who are just getting into music and also to those who are already into music but are not sound in the theory aspect. I will walk you through the rudiments of music; from what music is, to the properties of music, and introduction to sightreading. I will also answer questions that may come up in the course of the tutorials. You can also contribute by adding comments. Who's ready? wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by jaymichael(m): 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
Iam. Though I don't know how to sing
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
So let me start by answering the basic question. What is music? First of all, I must say the answer to this question is subjective. However in simple terms, I will define music as an art of combining instrumental and/or vocal sounds and at the same time, controlling it's properties such as frequency, movement, pitch and volume in such a way that the output is enjoyable to the hearer.

Let me break it down. First, you combine sounds from instruments and/or voices. Then you control the frequency. This necessitates the question; how do you control the frequency? Different instruments have different mechanisms for controlling sound frequency. For example, the guitar uses the thickness of the strings and the fret position to control the pitch(this will be explained in subsequent posts). So if you are learning a musical instrument, what you are doing is learning how to control sound frequency with different mechanisms so as to produce sound that is pleasant to the receivers.

The next post will introduce you to musical sounds.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:51pm On Sep 06, 2016
jaymichael:
Iam. Though I don't know how to sing
Thanks for your interest. Not all musicians are excellent singers; Fela, Lagbaja. You can become an instrumentalist or even a music tutor like me. It's about creating a niche and offering something that will add value to people.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 1:50pm On Sep 06, 2016
Now let's talk about musical sounds. Just as combining alphabets make words, combining musical sounds make music.

There are 7 fundamental musical sounds and they are named after the first 7 alphabets of the English language. That is A, B, C, D, E, F and G. Now count them again. Seven right? Good. You might want to ask. After G, what next? H perhaps? H for Hell no. There's no such thing as H in music. After G, you go right back to A. That's how music works. Music is continous; more like a cycle. Like your water cycle in Biology or a wall clock. So let's say you start your music journey from sound F and your destination is E, the bus stops will be G, then A (not H), then B, then C, then D, before you finally get to E.

To round off, let me tell you what an octave is. Octave is simply the eighth sound after or before a musical sound. It is double or half the intensity or pitch(my next post will explain this) of a particular musical sound. For example the octave of C is C'(C octave). This because between C and C octave we have eight sounds(notes). That is CDEFGABCoctave. Count them. 8 right good. Similarly, the octave of A will be A octave. Let's confirm. ABCDEFGAoctave.

Now you know what music is, what musical sounds are, and what an octave is. Progress! My next post will introduce you to the fundamental properties of music. Stay tuned for more.

1 Like

Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by Genes1s: 5:03am On Sep 07, 2016
Following..currently taking a lesson on trumpet
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 9:15am On Sep 07, 2016
Genes1s:
Following..currently taking a lesson on trumpet
Welcome. Glad to hear that.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 9:58am On Sep 07, 2016
Hello peeps. By now, I assume you know what music is, the musical sounds and what an octave is. If you don't, make sure you review my previous posts. This morning, I will introduce you to the fundamental properties of music.

There are 4 fundamental properties of music. We have pitch(how high or low a musical sound or note is), duration(how long a musical sound lasts), dynamics(how loud or soft a musical sound is) and timbre(quality of a musical sound).

So let's start with pitch. Pitch is that property of music that tells how high or low a musical sound is. That is, a musical sound can be high or low in pitch. Pitch is different from volume. To explain this, consider this illustration. Let's assume Lagbaja and Ty Savage are required to perform the national anthem at an event and take one verse each. Naturally, Lagbaja will sing with his deep masculine voice. That voice is low in pitch. Conversely, Ty Savage will sing with her thin feminine soprano voice. That voice is high in pitch. Both of them can sing with the same volume, but the pitch will definitely be different.

Next, I will explain duration. Duration is simply how long a musical sound lasts. A musical sound can be short or long in duration. However, the basis for measuring musical sound is beat. That is, a musical sound can last for 1 beat or 2 beats or half beat or quarter beats, and so on. So what is a beat? A beat is the basic time unit of music. Have you ever played or heard a bass drum? Those single detached identifiable sounds 'boom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boom' are called beats.

Let me stop here for now so as to give you time to digest this. I will explain the other two properties in my next post. I hope you enjoy your day.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 11:12am On Sep 08, 2016
Hello peeps. This morning, I will explain the other two properties of music. Dynamics and timbre.

Dynamics can simply be described as a property of music that measures the loudness or softness of a musical sound. Music can be loud or soft, it can be very loud or very soft. Sometimes, it can move from loud to soft, or from soft to loud, and so on. Composers make judicious use of dynamics to make their music very interesting. Popular examples of dynamics are "forte" which means loud, "crescendo" which means getting gradually louder, "decrescendo" which means getting gradually softer and so on.

The final property of music is timbre, which is simply the quality or tone colour of a musical sound. Now, different musical instruments have different sound tones or colours. The sound quality of a piano is different from that of a guitar and the sound quality or tone of a guitar is different from that of a trumpet. That is why you are able to differentiate different instruments just by hearing their sounds. The property that enables you to differentiate different instruments by sound is what is known as timbre.

So, gradually, you are being dipped into the aquarium of music. By now, you should know what music is, the 7 musical sounds, what an octave is, and the four properties of music. If you're not sure, you can always review the previous posts. In subsequent posts, the properties of music will be accentuated. Stay tuned.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:13am On Sep 09, 2016
Hello peeps. I'm sure you've learnt a lot so far. Before I continue the tutorial, I would like to introduce you to JAMOMUCO and some of our services. JAMOMUCO, Jazzy mobile music college is a company that offers world-class music tutorials to all kinds of persons. We help you become a world-class musician by offering top-notch theoretical and practical music tutorials.

Our goal is to make music learning fun and convenient by bringing music tutorials to your doorstep. Our programs are reasonably quick and effective. In just three months, our professional tutors will equip you with the adequate knowledge required to become a world-class musician. Some of the instruments you can learn include piano, guitar, trumpet, trombone, saxophone, violin, and so on.

Our services, which are extremely flexible are
1. 3M24S(3 months, 24 sessions). This package is designed for those that can spare 4 hours a week for 3 months. It offers a total of 24 2hrs long tutorial sessions.
2. 3M24S mobile. This is a variant of the 3M24S package. It also offers a total of 24 2hrs long tutorial sessions. However, the tutorial sessions will be held at the home or office of the customer.

For more information, you can call/WhatsApp: 08124163122.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by alexwaston: 10:31am On Sep 09, 2016
...currently taking a lesson on trumpet. Though I don't know how to sing...
---------------------------
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by ItsBolaji: 9:03pm On Sep 09, 2016
#IAGNTCOVER https:// www.datafilehost.com/d/c980d6ce Help support the brother! follow @datbolaji God Bless!
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
alexwaston:
...currently taking a lesson on trumpet. Though I don't know how to sing...
That's good. I also play the trumpet. If you have any challenges, I will be glad to help.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2016
Hi peeps. This evening I will further go deep into a property of music, pitch. Like I earlier stated in one of my posts, pitch is the degree of highness or lowness of a musical sound. Recall also that I outlined the difference between pitch and volume. You can review the difference by looking at my previous post.

Now, there are seven fundamental musical sounds, A, B, C, D, E, F, and G. These sounds are used to compose music. Music is composed by placing musical notes on different parts of a musical staff. Just chill, I will tell you what a musical staff. A music staff is a diagram showing five horizontal parallel lines on which different musical elements, including music notes, clef, time signature, key signature, etc are placed for the purpose of composing a musical piece. So many terms right? I know. I will explain them one after the other.
In between the five parallel lines, you have four spaces. Musical notes can either be placed on a line or a space.
As for the clef, it is a symbol that gives us an idea what the range of the music, in terms of pitch is. The two popular types of clef are the Treble clef(aka G clef) and the Bass clef(aka F clef). The treble or G clef tells us that the range of the music is on the treble level(the thin high pitch level). The bass or F clef, on the other hand tells us that the range of music is on the bass level(the broad low pitch level).

A music staff with a treble clef on it is called a treble staff, while a music staff with a bass clef on it is called a bass staff. Apart from these, there is also a type of music staff that combines both treble and bass staff. It is called a grand staff. It is mostly used by pianists. This is because the piano acxommodates a wide range of pitch. From the bass level to the treble level. A staff is also called a stave.

Let me stop here for now. My next post will expose you to more musical concepts. Stay tuned.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by RSAMAN(m): 5:47pm On Sep 10, 2016
You forgot to explain how a treble or bass clef looks like.
Treble Clef:

Bass Clef:

Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 7:24pm On Sep 10, 2016
RSAMAN:
You forgot to explain how a treble or bass clef looks like.
Thank you for your input.

This is what a grand staff looks like.

As you can see, it's a combination of the treble staff and the bass staff. Do you know the lines and spaces of the staff have their names? You will learn more about that in my next post.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:03pm On Sep 12, 2016
smiley
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:50pm On Sep 13, 2016
smiley
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2016
I don't know why I keep getting banned everytime I add a post. Anybody knows why here?
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by Genes1s: 11:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
Pls leave our instructor alone oo..because i don't c any of his posts that is against any rule of nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 8:57am On Sep 20, 2016
kiss
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by Chiefly(m): 1:38pm On Sep 23, 2016
Awsome! Following..
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:35am On Sep 24, 2016
Hello peeps. I trust we're having a great weekend. This morning we will learn how to name the treble and bass staff. This is very important because it is your first step in learning how to read music. So, let's dive straight in.

First we must understand the structure of the staff. As we move up the staff, that is from bottom to top, the pitch increases. That is, notes placed high up the staff are higher in pitch than notes placed down the staff.

This is how the treble staff is named. The first line from bottom is named sound E. Next, we have a space, which is named sound F. After the space, we have the second line named sound G. Then we have space A, followed by line B, followed by space C, then line D, space E and finally line F. It is important to note that as we move from bottom line E to top line F, the pitch increases.
To remember the names easily, you can think of the lines as Every Gorgeous Bae Deserves Friendship. And the spaces as FACE for face. You can form yours though. Naming the treble staff from bottom to top, we have E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E, and F.
[img]http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRiVnBNW3jTYLbQk5qzq9nf_BY87oH-6vl6anDJ4-lc2kdVMkgZJXF2Txw0[/img]
I will continue in a bit.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:48am On Sep 24, 2016
Chiefly:
Awsome! Following..
Good to have you here
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:57am On Sep 24, 2016
Reconstructing the thread...
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by Genes1s: 5:31pm On Sep 24, 2016
Well done sir...pls can i hane your WhatsApp contact ?..i dnt knw y dey keep deleting ur post oo
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:35pm On Sep 25, 2016
Genes1s:
Well done sir...pls can i hane your WhatsApp contact ?..i dnt knw y dey keep deleting ur post oo

You can Call/WhatsApp 08124163122
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
Hi peeps. I believe we've learnt a lot so far. I must say I've gotten used to receiving ban. It appears there are some rules I don't know about in this forum.

Forging ahead, we will see how the Bass staff is named.
The Bass staff is named in the same manner as the treble staff. However, the first line from bottom is your sound G, followed by space A, line B, space C, line D, space E, line F, space G and finally line A. So how do you remember easily? Think of the lines as Gallant Boys Deserve Friendship Also and the spaces as All Chicks Eat Gala. So naming the bass staff from bottom to top, we have G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and A.

Now that we have named the treble and bass staff, we can go a step further and name the grand staff.
From bottom to top, we have, G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G, A, (B, middleC, D) E, F, G, A, B, C, D, E, and F.

The notes in bracket are outside the conventional five lines and four spaces. These notes are placed on, what is known as, ledger lines and spaces. Ledger lines and spaces are short horizontal lines and spaces above or below a musical staff used to accommodate sounds(notes) in a bid to achieve continuity in music.
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 10:28pm On Sep 26, 2016
Shey this mods are trying to make me look stupid or what? undecidedAll my hidden posts appearing suddenly.
Anyways, this is what the bass staff and grand staff looks like.
Grand staff first, and bass staff attached.

Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 1:03pm On Oct 04, 2016
Thread looks good now kiss
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by Chukazu: 2:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
were are you located? the number you posted is not on whatsapp, that is annoying?
Re: Have An Edge By Learning Music Theory For Free by JentleJosh(m): 9:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
Chukazu:
were are you located?
the number you posted is not on whatsapp, that is annoying?
It's definitely on WhatsApp. Are you the sax guy? If not, refresh your contacts list.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Killed Tupac? / Gospel Rock Fans Out Here? / Download All Tracks: Modenine - Occupy The Throne Mixtapes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.