Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,615 members, 7,809,259 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:54 AM

Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? (28028 Views)

Why Don't Nigerians Care About Good Looking Bathrooms? / Newest And Ongoing Building And Estate Developments From Tigerkenn Homes / Why Don't We Have A Lot Of Women In Construction World? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by tkovie2002(m): 3:51pm On Sep 08, 2016
According to wikipedia A basement or cellar is one or more floors of a building that are either completely or partially below the ground floor. Basements are generally used as a utility space for a building where such items as the boiler, water heater, breaker panel or fuse box, car park, and air-conditioning system are located; so also are amenities such as the electrical distribution system, and cable television distribution point. However, in cities with high property prices such as London, basements are often fitted out to a high standard and used as living space.

So as beautiful and Useful as they can be, I would like to know why most Nigerian homes do not have basements like the ones abroad.

* Is it very expensive?

* Doesn't our terrain or building codes/patterns support it?

* Is it that our architects do not suggest it or clients just don't just want it.

* What are the pros and cons with respect to Geographical region?

Please I would like everyone to air their views so we can learn from each other.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by abouzaid: 5:04pm On Sep 08, 2016
tkovie2002:
According to wikipedia A basement or cellar is one or more floors of a building that are either completely or partially below the ground floor. Basements are generally used as a utility space for a building where such items as the boiler, water heater, breaker panel or fuse box, car park, and air-conditioning system are located; so also are amenities such as the electrical distribution system, and cable television distribution point. However, in cities with high property prices such as London, basements are often fitted out to a high standard and used as living space.

So as beautiful and Useful as they can be, I would like to know why most Nigerian homes do not have basements like the ones abroad.

* Is it very expensive?

* Doesn't our terrain or building codes/patterns support it?

* Is it that our architects do not suggest it or clients just don't just want it.

* What are the pros and cons with respect to Geographical region?

Please I would like everyone to air their views so we can learn from each other.
the idea of the basement came about in cold climates where the foundation would need to be deep enough to go below the freezing line, with time, people decided to make it big enough to serve as a livable place. in Nigeria, we don't have snow and the cost implication would be enormous besides basements are often a source of trouble due to development of algae, over flooding etc.there's nothing special about living underground.

165 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by twinskenny(m): 8:55pm On Sep 08, 2016
i think because of our weather here... and also the cost

11 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:24am On Sep 09, 2016
I am planning on buying a 750,000$ house next 3 years, the first thing I checked was a basement.

OP it's a great storage place, you can rent it out to college kids, your teenage kids can throw parties there without breaking anything valuable...and above all

You can drink away your sorrow and smoke off your regrets... making 300,000$ every year, the basement is the perfect place to indulge in your "leisure" and hide from your nagging wife and troublesome kids.

And contrary to belief, basements can be quite spacious and airy

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by edlion57(m): 6:24am On Sep 09, 2016
Our weather does not encourage it...heat go kill u
No steady NEPA supply
It is expensive
U can't let it out

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Dshocker(m): 6:24am On Sep 09, 2016
A typical Nigerian will call it an underground house....

41 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by kilokeys(m): 6:25am On Sep 09, 2016
hmm our soil, i guess

they have deep soils easily dug out.

haven't you guys noticed how easy it is to bury someone in 30 minutes with a shovel.?

u no fit try am for hia..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 09, 2016
In Nigeria majority of us cannot afford certified building engineers with years of experience.

So building basement with our mason men is like paying for your death with your hard-earned money.

22 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by goshen26: 6:26am On Sep 09, 2016
K
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by goshen26: 6:27am On Sep 09, 2016
edlion57:
H
for House na

Expecting ur long episode

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 09, 2016
As has been mentioned already, our climate makes it a non essential. However I've lived in a house with a basement, that was in the noughties, as a kid

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Fringes(m): 6:28am On Sep 09, 2016
I'll love a house with a basement. I think the maintenance of such luxury must be the first disadvantage - especially with epileptic electricity...

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by madridguy(m): 6:28am On Sep 09, 2016
Basement for Nigeria that some houses barely have parking space or space to even spread cloth grin

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by pacino26(m): 6:29am On Sep 09, 2016
twinskenny:
i think because of our weather here... and also the cost

My friend here summarized it. One big bottle water for him.

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:29am On Sep 09, 2016
Another thing would be the cost. In foreign countries, the deckig consists mainly of wood, while here we use cement. Having a basement means additional money for ground floor 'decking'

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by BrightEye(m): 6:29am On Sep 09, 2016
have seen houses with basements in Nigeria though.

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by symbianDON(m): 6:30am On Sep 09, 2016
unless you wan kill person....the building wey de above ground for naija never see light sef na basement wey de underground you de talk. na suffocation go just finish anyone wey de live there grin

15 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Rekyz(m): 6:30am On Sep 09, 2016
Who told you Nigerian homes don't have basements? Where do you reside? In Calabar, along mile 8, there's an area where 30% of the houses have basements. It also depends on the topography of the area. Basements are mostly built where there are slopes.

24 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:31am On Sep 09, 2016
lipsrsealed

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Temitope223(m): 6:32am On Sep 09, 2016
K
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by seguno2: 6:32am On Sep 09, 2016
Underground parking is also a great feature for houses in the cities.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by ItsawrapOutfit: 6:33am On Sep 09, 2016
I have always wondered too

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Oluwalosheleyi(m): 6:34am On Sep 09, 2016
AJA ILE(UNDERGROUND RITUALIST DENS) ALERT!!! before you know it nigerians will start using it for all sorts of vices just as some europeans use it for evil purposes.some houses have it here too though.

10 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by SmartMugu: 6:34am On Sep 09, 2016
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by yolanda233(m): 6:35am On Sep 09, 2016
When many houses don't even have foundation

5 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Xtracoool(m): 6:35am On Sep 09, 2016
Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Rekyz(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2016
AnonyNymous:
Another thing would be the cost. In foreign countries, the deckig consists mainly of wood, while here we use cement. Having a basement means additional money for ground floor 'decking'
LIEnus!

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by frisky2good(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2016
I don't think living in laterite soil will be comfortable.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by scarr: 6:38am On Sep 09, 2016
Because we lack credible engineers and it would serve as a place for servicing several ekaettes

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:38am On Sep 09, 2016
Probably because of the danger of flooding. It's also not a traditionally recognised aspect of building houses. It probably developed in the west because of harsh weather/snow

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerian Homes Have Basements? by Nobody: 6:39am On Sep 09, 2016
Who u wan see from basement.. Basement ni baseball kor

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Soprom Hotel, Onitsha Gutted By Fire / See What Traders Are Doing With Former Akpaka Forest Reserve Onitsha / How We Built The Port Harcourt "4 Bedroom Duplex"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.