Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,447 members, 7,819,654 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:58 PM

Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages (2344 Views)

Whatsapp Adds Payment To Its Messaging App / Facebook Adds Face Recognition Feature Which Notify Users When They Are Spotted / Mtn: we’re Not Under Pressure To List Shares In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by AjayiWrites: 10:18am On Sep 09, 2016
In fulfillment of promised made last week when he visited Nigeria, the world most populous black nation, the social media giant, facebook founder, Mr. Mark Zuckerberge has added Yoruba and Igbo languages to Facebook language options

Before, now, Hausa language was already a facebook language

During his visit to Nigeria, Zuckerberg said social media application currently allowed the use of Hausa language on Facebook.

He said: “I am glad we support Hausa and we are planning on supporting a lot more languages soon.”

Zuckerberg also expressed his willingness to work with local content providers in bringing Nigerian communities to the internet.

He said having local contents on the Facebook platform would ensure that more people were connected.

According to him, in the next 10 to 15 years, Facebook hopes to get everyone in the world connected online.

Checked this morning discovered Yoruba Language has also been added.

Yoruba language option on facebook has partially become functional, but Igbo yet to be. probably both are still on developmental stages.

But so far, so good, its a good omen for our local languages.

To Change your facebook language, visit language option on your facebook account and pick either Hausa, Yoruba or Igbo'

Source:
http://www.ajayiwrites.com/2016/09/promise-kept-facebook-adds-yoruba-igbo.html

1 Like

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by oooppp: 10:20am On Sep 09, 2016
good one from mark
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by agwom(m): 10:21am On Sep 09, 2016
good...
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by AjayiWrites: 10:21am On Sep 09, 2016
Where is Uncle FFK again sef

lalasticlala

3 Likes

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by enjoyingjoy: 10:33am On Sep 09, 2016
nice one…..….
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by jerryunit48: 10:35am On Sep 09, 2016
This is Great o
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Beremx(f): 10:40am On Sep 09, 2016
Nairaland should do the same. As a Nigerian forum owned by a Nigerian and has 99percent of its members as Nigerians, we should have nigerian language options too.

Seun, take note!

2 Likes

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by AjayiWrites: 10:42am On Sep 09, 2016
Beremx:
Nairaland should do the same. As a Nigerian forum owned by a Nigerian and has 99percent of its members as Nigerians, we should have nigerian language options too.

Seun, take note!

Can you speak or read your language? As a Yoruba man, I can't proudly say I can read 100% Yoruba, though I am trying sha... Make Seun leave am for English like this
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by addicted268(f): 11:33am On Sep 09, 2016
Chai. Mark nsukabag try o.

2 Likes

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by nacozee: 11:47am On Sep 09, 2016
crazy and unnecessary move, whats the need to have igbo,yoruba,hausa FB pages when Nigeria is an English speaking country. Also how many Nigerians actually can read and write their native languages fluently. Fb should rather repent from their plan to stop supporting Whatsapp on BB10
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Bratking(m): 11:48am On Sep 09, 2016
good one but let's face it, no nigerian will ever use those languages.. english will always take precedence.

1 Like

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Maskus(m): 1:19pm On Sep 09, 2016
Benefit of Zukerberg's visit to Nigeria.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by power900: 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2016
I love people who deliver their promises , just the way APC delivered their change too..grin

1 Like

Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by d33types: 4:05pm On Sep 09, 2016
Anybody that can write and read in Igbo or Yoruba can definitively write in English. I think its an unnecessary move..but for peace to reign its okay.

I know in the north they teach the children in hausa..even science is taught in hausa, so its okay for hausa to be in Facebook.

During my newcomer days in Kano,I discovered that many persons were literate but not in English ,only hausa.

Only in the North,you'll see a very cute,sophisticated lady driving an SUV but can barely speak audible English..
i was disappointed sha..it limits their full acceptance of western development.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Hallenjay: 4:19pm On Sep 09, 2016
How tru is ds.... I can't find ds yoruba nor igbo for d language setting oooo
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Opistorincos(m): 5:00pm On Sep 09, 2016
This is dope
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Nairastake: 5:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
How e go take put money for my pocket?
When many Nigerians can't read their language, some speak, while some can't speak and can't read as well
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by mrking3(m): 6:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
FFK seems to be the only opposition voice in this present dispensation!!! I believe mark read his article with rapt attention.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Nobody: 6:41pm On Sep 09, 2016
nacozee:
crazy and unnecessary move, whats the need to have igbo,yoruba,hausa FB pages when Nigeria is an English speaking country. Also how many Nigerians actually can read and write their native languages fluently. Fb should rather repent from their plan to stop supporting Whatsapp on BB10
now I understand that man is insatiable.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by olayincar(m): 6:56pm On Sep 09, 2016
nice one Mr Mark
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Noneroone(m): 7:11pm On Sep 09, 2016
So i should celebrate?

I'm Igbo and i dont need zuckerberg to tell me Igbo language is the most successful in Africa.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by franxis(m): 8:11pm On Sep 09, 2016
nacozee:
crazy and unnecessary move, whats the need to have àa2ßßß34 LPuba,hausa FB pages when Nigeria is an English speaking country. Also how many Nigerians actually can read and write their native languages fluently. Fb should rather repent from their plan to stop supporting Whatsapp on BB10
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Adeboyefa(f): 9:50pm On Sep 09, 2016
I checked Facebook just now and Hausa is the only Nigerian language present. Today is NOT April 1.
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Nobody: 10:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
Beremx:

Seun, take note!
U mean the local champion man that refuse to upgrade?I no mention name oo
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by TechGuYNG: 7:17am On Sep 10, 2016
priceaction:

U mean the local champion man that refuse to upgrade?I no mention name oo

Jesu Kristi...
Re: Promise Kept? Facebook Adds Yoruba, Igbo To List Of Its Languages by Tintinnoty(m): 11:09am On Sep 10, 2016
Am I the only one not seeing Igbo and Yoruba among the languages. I don look taya

(1) (Reply)

Jumia Free Coupon Codes / .....sold / MTN Wiped My Data 10GB Data

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.