Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,470 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal (3433 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Branches To Hold Congresses Today, Exco On Wednesday / ASUU Branches To Hold Congresses Today,exco On Wednesday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Phemour: 2:13pm On Oct 07, 2009
Students’ hopes of resuming their studies in Nigerian university campuses this week were temporarily dashed yesterday when the Academic Staff Union of Universities’ (ASUU) National Executive Committee [NEC] directed its chapters in Federal and state universities to hold meetings from today to deliberate on a tentative deal reached between government and its leaders at the weekend.

The deal may however bring to an end the total strike action embarked upon by the union since June this year. The various chapters will make their views known on the tentative agreement, after which ASUU’s NEC would meet, probably later this week, to decide on whether to end or continue with the strike action.

The decision to commit the matter to the various branches was taken at an emergency NEC meeting at the University of Abuja campus, which began at 9pm on Monday and ended at 6am yesterday.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting, NEC member and Chairman of ASUU, University of Abuja Chapter Dr. Abdul Mallam said the leadership briefed NEC on the situation on ground and it was agreed to take the matter to the various congresses.

“Yes, the principal officers reported to us on what recently happened between them and Governor Oshiomhole and the Minister for Education with the NLC as witnesses. Our NEC eventually resolved to go back to our congresses and report to them for congresses to advise us on what to do next.”

Asked if the congresses will be voting to resolve the matter, Mallam said, “No. the issue is going to be discussed by the various congresses and when it comes to the issue of discussion, you don’t just go and start voting. The issues are there in black and white. Congresses would be briefed on the issues so that congress will take a well informed position.”

He said only the congresses can decide on the next step to take with regards to either continuing or calling off the strike and he refused to comment on when the congresses will reach a decision.

“That is certainly beyond NEC. It is the congresses that will determine that. NEC has been informed and it will go back to the congresses for further advice,” he said.

The latest agreement, sources within ASUU told Daily Trust, was hammered out over several weeks with the intervention of Nigeria Labour Congress [NLC] president Abdulwaheed Omar, Speaker of the House of Representatives Dimeji Bankole and Permanent Secretary in the Federal Education Ministry Professor Oladapo Afolabi, himself a former ASUU member. The source said Edo State Governor Adams Oshiomhole only came in at a later date “and hijacked the whole thing, much to the annoyance of ASUU leaders.”

Among the deals reached in the tentative agreement, according to informed sources, was government’s agreement to sign a central agreement with ASUU “in line with the principles of collective bargaining.” This has been one of the major issues at stake over the months, with government saying ASUU chapters should negotiate and sign deals with respective university governing councils in the spirit of autonomy.

Daily Trust learnt that another area of disagreement, the objection by state governments that the Federal Government should not commit them to an agreement, was papered over with ASUU’s insistence that the current deal awaiting signature by the two parties does not violate the 1999 Constitution, as state governments allege. Specifically, state governments argue Section 6 of the unsigned agreement hammered out by Chief Gamaliel Onosode’s committee violates their constitutional autonomy.

ASUU however insisted that the provision only provides for minimum standards for anyone who wishes to won a university in Nigeria, Federal, state or private. The tentative deal now before the ASUU chapters also contains no agreement on pay package, with ASUU rejecting government’s “of-the-table offer” of a 40 percent pay hike, which is less than what the Onosode committee hammered out. ASUU said the earlier recommendation is the minimum required for university academic departments to be able to retain in their service students who obtain First Class and Second Class Upper degrees.

Negotiations between ASUU and the Federal Government broke down in August, but Daily Trust learnt that even before Governor Oshiomhole recently waded in to broker a tentative deal, several persons were working behind the scenes to bring the two sides together.

Last Saturday, Governor Oshiomhole and Minister of Education Dr. Sam Egwu as well as ASUU resolved that the union should call a NEC meeting within three days and possibly suspend the strike within the week for negotiations to commence on matters within the earlier agreement. They also said once that was done, a final deal could be concluded within a week.

At the joint press briefing, Oshiomhole said “we have resumed discussion since last week on the ongoing dispute between Federal Government and ASUU. We have made a lot of progress because Mr. President wants this negotiation to be concluded and he has given us all the support that we require. We have had exhaustive discussion with both parties and all the key issues have been very well taken care of with both coming into an understanding. We are expecting ASUU as a democratic organization to call its National Executive Council meeting to consider the possibility of suspending the strike so that negotiation can start.”

He said “both parties, to demonstrate their seriousness, agreed that once ASUU returns to the classroom, all other issues will be resolved within a short time, not more than a week, so that university system will return to normalcy.”

ASUU President Comrade Ukachukwu Awuzie on his part advised government to also reach out to the other unions so as to bring a lasting peace to the system. He said, “As he said, in ASUU we have procedures. Whatever we have looked at will be properly presented to the National Executive Council of ASUU. They will consider the presentations and we do hope they will take informed decision.”

Even though yesterday’s NEC meeting did not fix a date when it would reconvene to receive reports from its branches, a senior official told Daily Trust that this could be done within a few days, “before the end of this week.”

http://www.news.dailytrust.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=7430:strike-ASUU-branches-to-vote-on-deal&catid=46:lead-stories&Itemid=140
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by graciella(f): 2:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
minister of info, thank u
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Phemour: 2:57pm On Oct 07, 2009
Naughty wink smiley
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by 55gal(m): 3:17pm On Oct 07, 2009
Assistant Dora ,u dey try well well,
keep it up! angry
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by iniguy(m): 3:21pm On Oct 07, 2009
, and the story continues
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Phemour: 3:27pm On Oct 07, 2009
55gal:

Assistant Dora ,u dey try well well,
keep it up! angry
thank you ma/sir
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by greateliso(m): 3:46pm On Oct 07, 2009
hummmm,
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Ben13: 3:51pm On Oct 07, 2009
I will soon embark on my own personal strike.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Nezan(m): 4:07pm On Oct 07, 2009
That is how it has always been sha.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by OvieE: 4:19pm On Oct 07, 2009
Whatever they decide is fine not that I care.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by tokunegiye(m): 4:35pm On Oct 07, 2009
i love 9ja grin
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by okeey(m): 5:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
good
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by nethacker(m): 5:02pm On Oct 07, 2009
ain't they calling it off again shocked shocked
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by semid4lyfe(m): 5:29pm On Oct 07, 2009
Nothing new here. It's still the same old story. What Nigerians want to hear is - THE STRIKE HAS BEEN CALLED OFF.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by aieromon(m): 5:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
C'mon!!
Of all the newspapers in Nigeria,you chose to pick Daily Trust as your source for credible information undecided
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by ba4real: 5:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
well lets wait and see what gonna happen , but dont forget anything is possible in 9ja.
ALUTU CONTINUA VICTORIA ACERTA
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by DISTINCT89(m): 5:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
Glory be 2 God I hope the matter should be quickly solve apart from supending the strike, so we future generation leaders can get our hands on better things to do on our campuses,
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Nobody: 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2009
Bunch of idiots, How long wil it take them to make up their minds, long hissssrs
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by tope4ll: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2009
Na dem sabi if they they shuld call it off. For me im making cool nd legal money on net with ease. Av interest nd want 2 knw more abt d business contact me on tboy4biz@gmail.com
08030438662 or follow d link http:///yc4x99d
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by tope4ll: 6:08pm On Oct 07, 2009
D strike should b called off nd if otherwise all wel nd gud 4 me cos im busy making legal money on internet with ease.
U can as well b lyk me if u want 2 knw more abt it mail me on tboy4biz@gmail.com or call me or follow dis link http:///yc4x99d
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by kinre: 6:33pm On Oct 07, 2009
i dont even care again if dey call off the strike.dey shuld all go 2 hell for all i care .naija education is dead as far as i am concern .receiving lecture in a small room dat shuld take 200 students , u will find 1000 students there .how do u want usto cope.most of those yeye lectures are sadest , they like falling students without justification .let them all go 2 hell .Bleep egwu or what is name , plus f g and screw ASUU .
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Okaakoko(m): 6:36pm On Oct 07, 2009
OK, if ASUU should call off their strike, what of SSANU and NASU? What is government doing about NASU and SSANU?
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Drulna: 6:37pm On Oct 07, 2009
Where do we go from here ? Nigeria seems to be battling with some unravelled pathology.
Nairalander needs some mature disposition to the post they recieve,some responses are grossly immature.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by untainted: 7:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
aieromon:

C'mon!!
Of all the newspapers in Nigeria,you chose to pick Daily Trust as your source for credible information undecided
pray, tell me what makes Daily Trust non credible
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by aieromon(m): 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2009
@untainted
I take your defense to mean you work there.
IMO,Daily Trust is a crappy newspaper.Oh yeah,i've had the opportunity to read it once or twice because it's the only paper being read where i am in Katsina.I stopped buyin' it and i would prefer to read online editions of consistent dailies not a bunch of crappy journalism undecided
Now back to the topic at hand!!
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by donclemo(m): 11:11pm On Oct 07, 2009
Ben-10:

I will soon embark on my own personal strike.
who hold u. meanwhile money don finish? e b like say na hunger strike anyway OYO for u.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Aare1(m): 12:45am On Oct 08, 2009
Some feelers reaching me have it that the strike has been called off for two weeks. The announcement is to be made tomorrow lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by tope4ll: 2:00am On Oct 08, 2009
The issue of this FG/ASUU don tire me. My fellow stds make we make some money in a ryte nd legal way b4 goin bk 2 skul. Iv bin doin it nd it works 4 real. If u're interested contact me on
tboy4biz@gmail.com
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by lepere(m): 3:37am On Oct 08, 2009
@tope4all
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by lepere(m): 3:39am On Oct 08, 2009
@tope4all We have heard enough of this ur money-making venture. I think the best thing 4 u is to open a new thread 4 that and leave us to discuss what we came for in this thread. Thanks.
Re: Strike: ASUU Branches To Vote On Deal by Tboy4biz: 7:37am On Oct 08, 2009
@lepere its jst an advice 4 u nt 2 waiste ur precious time do somthing 2day

(1) (2) (Reply)

UNILAG 2009/2010 Admission Registration Procedure For Freshmen / Off-campus Student Job: Two Naija Students Face Deportation From Canada / School Review : Nigerian Defence Academy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.