Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

"Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / "Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! (582 Views)

Yorubas Would Be Proud To Read 'these' / Afonjas Vs Ipob:why Do They Hate Each Other?? / I Have Been Seeing How Some Ipod Youths has been Calling The Yorubas Afonjas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! by sinite93(m): 6:17pm On Sep 09, 2016
"He who knows not and knows not he knows not, He's a fool"
(Arabian proverb)

It pain me when some acclaimed intellectuals plunge into ignorance. Ignorance is not a taboo, but being ignorant of ones ignorance is a stupidity.
Our dear country is heavily invested with tribalism I know. But using inappropriate term is an indication of depth in ignorance.
It's now a trend on Nairaland to regard south west people as Afonjas. What an ignorance!!!!! it's analogous to be referring Nigeria as Buratai, because Afonja is actually a Yoruba war veteran and also a General, not a tribe as some people used to say. Below is the brief history of Afonja in relation with South west

At the start of the 19th century Ilorin was a border town in the northeast of the Oyo Empire , with a mainly Yoruba population but with many Hausa and Fulani immigrants. It was the headquarters of an Oyo General, Afonja, who rebelled against the empire and helped bring about its collapse with the assistance of the Fulani. The rebellion was powered by Nupe and Bornu Moslem slaves. Afonja had been assisted by Salih Janta, also called Shehu Alimi, a leader of the local Fulani. In 1824 Afonja was assassinated and Alimi's son Abdusalami became Emir. Ilorin became an emirate of the Sokoto Caliphate . For some time Ilorin was a major center of the slave trade. In the past slaves had mainly been sent north across the Sahara, but now they were being sent south via the Yoruba lands to the coast to supply demand from the USA, the West Indies, and Brazil. Slaves were taken from the Igbo lands to the east and from conquered Yoruba towns, as well as from areas further to the north, and were traded for cloth and other goods. Ilorin continued to expand southward until it was checked in the 1830s by the growing power of Ibadan, an Oyo successor state. The Ilorin cavalry were ineffective in the jungle to the south, and by the 1850s Ibadan had access to guns from European traders on the coast. The capital was occupied by the Royal Niger Company in 1897 and its lands incorporated into the British colony of Northern Nigeria in 1900, although the emirate continued to perform ceremonial functions.

Call a spade a spade, the inhabitants of south west Nigeria are Yoruba not Afonjas!!! Will you please stop ranting Afonja everywhere, it piss me off. I mean deliberate ignorance piss me off
Re: "Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! by oluwafreshkid(m): 7:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
Don't get yourself so worked up over some internet name-calling ish.
Someone on this forum must have come up with that term same way they came up with Igbos flat heads to term the igbos(nairaland has censored the word sef) too.
Does that mean igbos are flat heads? I mean, does the term stick to your face when you're going out?
Be a proud Nigerian first and then be proud of your ethnicity.

And quit been childish

By the way I'm from osun state... omoluabi la wa

2 Likes

Re: "Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! by sinite93(m): 8:12pm On Sep 09, 2016
oluwafreshkid:
Don't get yourself so worked up over some internet name-calling ish.
Someone on this forum must have come up with that term same way they came up with Igbos flat heads to term the igbos(nairaland has censored the word sef) too.
Does that mean igbos are flat heads? I mean, does the term stick to your face when you're going out?
Be a proud Nigerian first and then be proud of your ethnicity.

And quit been childish

By the way I'm from osun state... omoluabi la wa
Is there anything wrong with enlightenment? This has nothing to do with childishness
Re: "Afonjas" Demystified: You Need To Read This!!!!! by PrinceAbinibi: 10:09am On Sep 10, 2016
Abo.ki, flat head and Afonja are just funny names we tease each other with, I laugh at all of them for different reasons, in real life we are not as tribalistic as this or atleast not the squares in my circles.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Opinion: The Igbos And Yorubas Secretly Love Each Other. / Ikeji Arondizuogu 2017...A Spectacle Of Note / Adage Of The Day And Its Meaning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.