Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,281 members, 7,957,721 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 06:19 PM

Can Our Languages Speak? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Can Our Languages Speak? (486 Views)

How I Began To Speak With Isabella The Day After She Died / Book Summary - The Five Love Languages By Gray Chapman / Pictures That Speak Without Saying A Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Our Languages Speak? by Akposb(m): 12:22pm On Sep 10, 2016
Britain introduced into her colonies a language born of a class-ridden society, bearing in its sounds and structure a history of social discrimination, oligarchic gamesmanship, and blatant inhumanity. The pernicious effects of English on the broadly egalitarian societies of traditional Africa are not hard to unearth. In the new order, English was seen as the golden means of breaking out of the old peasant pattern into the money economy and white-collar comfort of the colonizer. A knowledge of English was one guaranteed way in which a breakthrough could be achieved (4).
Culled from Uhuru Fire: A study of East African Literature.

This scenario described above still hold true up till this moment after so many years of independence. This article will not criticize the fact that English Language is still the choice language of writers but will only want to point out the fact that it has led to the neglect of our indigenous languages. It is obvious that English should be considered a language of choice for writers especially when you consider the large number of languages we have in this continent. This fact notwithstanding, we must admit either from close observation or experience that the dominance of the language has affected us greatly. Our thoughts and ways of expression are tailored towards the West while any hint of being Local is almost demonized.

Sometime ago, Darkenedrebel wrote an article that only accentuated the view that Africans don’t read. Almost every one of us must have heard the term ‘If you want to hide something from the black man, write it in a book’. While this assertion is true judging from reality we must also understand the fact that despite the popularity of the English language, it is still not the favourite of a broad section of our people hence the likely cause of the poor reading culture. Please note that I am not supporting the weakness of our reading culture, I am only pointing out a fact that I have discovered in some places.

For us to remedy this situation, it will be great if we consider the possibility of doing some of our write-up in our indigenous languages. It may not be to the benefit of our immediate community especially those who are students but it will promote our languages while letting those who are unaware to discover some of those treasured thoughts in our mind. I acknowledge the fact that most languages in Africa are oral in nature but at the same time, it is pertinent to know that most of our major languages have been reduced to writing. Until we give more exposure to our indigenous languages, it will be difficult to bridge the literacy gap in this country and the continent in extension.
Source: Written by me.
Re: Can Our Languages Speak? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 14, 2016
Thanks for the mention.

[...]

What do you mean by this:— "While this assertion is true judging from reality we must also understand the fact that despite the popularity of the English language, it is still not the favourite of a broad section of our people".

What broad section are you talking about? Broad section in a country where 70% of its population gravitate toward the English Language? Are the remaining 30% your definition of "broad section"?

Are you aware that our indigenous languages are among the 5000+ endangered languages in the world currently? And which linguists predict would completely go extinct in the next two centuries.

It's a matter of orientation more so than the form or language that a book is written in.
Writings in Yoruba or Efik would not shoot readership into the stratosphere anymore than Bash Ali's chances in knocking out Tyson Fury.

Besides, do you think people would warm up to writings in local languages, especially when these languages are, in quote, " useless and without value" outside the borders of their place of origin? Compared to the English Language which is ubiquitous and with more pronounced utility worldwide.
I think people would prefer to invest more of their time and resources into that which holds more benefits — both in and out of their country.

Your suggestion is surely one not wrested from the conventional line of reasoning, and kudos for that, but still, it's honeycombed with loopholes, and is a bit self-defeating.

Chimamanda Adichie's "pay your child to read" proposition seems a more viable option.
Re: Can Our Languages Speak? by Akposb(m): 9:06pm On Oct 14, 2016
Darkenedrebel, I am tempted to ask where have you been.

To the article, the bolded though may no longer hold much strength though but it is instructive to note that an extensive knowledge of the English language is not really an appetizing option for the rural folks even if it has great advantages.

My essay is to urge a need to write in local languages where possible. I have been in situations where it seemed that too much 'Oyibo ' just seemed to aggravate rather than calm the situation down.

In as much as English is likely to be the language that will be upheld as the standard of learning in generations to come, I look forward to a period where our local languages will enjoy a renaissance. I don't see this wish as exotic but one that is needed to repair our damaged psyche. Our languages are our identity.
Re: Can Our Languages Speak? by Nobody: 9:36am On Oct 15, 2016
Akposb:
Darkenedrebel, I am tempted to ask where have you been.

To the article, the bolded though may no longer hold much strength though but it is instructive to note that an extensive knowledge of the English language is not really an appetizing option for the rural folks even if it has great advantages.

My essay is to urge a need to write in local languages where possible. I have been in situations where it seemed that too much 'Oyibo ' just seemed to aggravate rather than calm the situation down.

In as much as English is likely to be the language that will be upheld as the standard of learning in generations to come, I look forward to a period where our local languages will enjoy a renaissance. I don't see this wish as exotic but one that is needed to repair our damaged psyche. Our languages are our identity.

I've been busy. Christmas is coming.

We lost our identity the moment we allowed ourselves to be taken under colonial rule, and by being incapable of defending our territory from the machinations of the Englishmen.

It's a rule of thumb in the Red Queen's race – you either evolve and procreate, or risk going extinct; you either eat or you get eaten.
Our culture and language got swallowed up by a more dominant one. It's one of the ripple effects of colonialism.

While we worried ourselves with superstition and African voodoo; while we were drinking palm wines under mahogany trees, and dreaming up extortionist devices such as bride price; our counterparts in the West were buried knee-deep in scientific work and research, which was why they had the upperhand in weaponry and took us as easily as snatching candy from the hands of a baby. Who is to blame if not us?

In as much as I'd love to share your lotus-eater hopes, our local languages cannot enjoy that renaissance you talk about. The chances are paper-thin.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

I Have Just Written This Poem..please I Need Your Compliments And Critics.. / Stories On Plentytori / Growing From A Boy To A Woman Part 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.