Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? (875 Views)

You Nigerians Should Feel Honored Today Because A Somali Is Visiting Here / Help Please! Snow In Jos? / Re-visiting The Clifford Orji Story , A Decade Later. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by NainaS(f): 9:35pm On Oct 07, 2009
Hello Fellow Naijas!

I was hoping I could get some cute and creative ways for my fiancé to endear himself to extended family and friends, while visiting Nigeria? I should note that he is Italian-American, and I myself am Nigerian, so I suppose that makes us a multi-cultural couple.

He has met my immediate family (parents and siblings) but they are all rather Westernized. However, he will be visiting Lagos for the first time and I know it is very important that he make a good impression to all! So far he has been learning pidgin and v-e-r-y basic Yoruba, knows how to prostrate, knows he should address all elders as "Aunty" and "Uncle" etc.

I would just really like him to make a good impression and show that he is open to our culture as well. So I would greatly appreciate any tips, ideas and suggestions. Thank you all very much in advance and have a blessed day! smiley
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by kellorah: 9:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
You might as well change his skin colour. sad sad sad sad sad sad

Teaching him to prostrate and what not, poor dude.

I can't imagine my dad to such just to please my mom. Ew!!!

If they can't accept him the way he is, including his culture, then they should "go and eat shit".

Anyways, good luck in pleasing the extended fam in Lag.
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by 190: 9:54pm On Oct 07, 2009
please let him trek on 3rd main land bridge so they can pick his pocket

and then u wud tell him WELCOME TO NIGERIA

the home of pickpocket wizardry ~
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by NainaS(f): 9:59pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kellorah, I think perhaps there is a misunderstanding  

It's not a matter of my extended family in Lagos "accepting him". He is already accepted and loved by my parents, and that's the most important thing. I would just like for him to be "welcomed" by the extended family and I believe a great way to go about this is to be familiar with our cultural quirks.

Bottom line, I want more than just "acceptance" for him (which he already has from my parents), I want him to also be welcomed in the same way a Nigerian son would be welcomed. Hope that clears things up smiley
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by kellorah: 10:06pm On Oct 07, 2009
There's a difference between familiarising himself with ur culture and knowing how to do certain cultural things such as prostrating and calling the older people aunty and uncle.

I just don't agree with the whole prostrating thing, unless ur just teaching him how to do it and not for him to do it.

But if yall are cool with it then what's my own I guess. wink wink
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by Pittbaby(f): 10:12pm On Oct 07, 2009
Just plain respectful to everyone around him is fine, open to things and politely able say no to what he can not eat or do. families will find a reason to like a or dislike a person even before they get of the plane. Let him be himself less stressful. besides remeber you are his protector in a strange land just ask him to follow you lead.
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by NainaS(f): 10:32pm On Oct 07, 2009
Thanks PittBaby! Trust me the "respect" issue has been very much drummed into his head. As I said earlier, my parents are very Westernized (they've lived here too long -  grin) or I think "casual" is a better word and in that sense he hasn't had to tread too carefully with them!

Since he has been so very casual with them, I have made sure to impress upon him that just because my parents are so casual, doesn't mean the rest of my family is. And that there are some formalities he'll have to learn. We plan to move back to Nigeria for a little while, and I have seen firsthand how extended family can put serious stress on a marriage  undecided

Definitely not telling him NOT be himself, just want to make sure he is aware of our cultural habits.

Thanks again for the advice PittBaby!
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by ikeyman00(m): 10:48pm On Oct 07, 2009
@@@@

poster is showing offf lipsrsealed

yes italia american!! cool

i suppose he has an acent?? abi

your like walk around lagos like u won lottery

just being me; haa

thats right
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by NainaS(f): 10:55pm On Oct 07, 2009
Yes Ikeyman00, because asking for honest advice from my Naija brothers and sisters on bringing home a foreigner is the very definition of "showing off"  undecided

Well to each his own. I hope you have a pleasant day!
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by ikeyman00(m): 10:57pm On Oct 07, 2009
grin

happy day

all the best still
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by omega25red(m): 12:03am On Oct 08, 2009
poor guy omo olomo do bale lol

i wonder which part of lagos you are going to that you expect him to prostrate and junk.
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by mamagee6(f): 1:13am On Oct 08, 2009
I hate Lagos.
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by NainaS(f): 1:58am On Oct 08, 2009
omega25red:

poor guy omo olomo do bale lol

i wonder which part of lagos you are going to that you expect him to prostrate and junk.

Omega25, we are going to Ikoyi which is where my family lives. We (male and female alike) all still prostrate in my family, so yes I am going to make sure he does the same!  grin

,mama-gee:

I hate Lagos.

Mama-gee, sometimes I feel the same truth be told. Lagos is too much sometimes. Still, there is nowhere like home, despite all the wahala invovled.  wink
Re: Visiting Lagos: Help Please?!? by semid4lyfe(m): 6:42am On Oct 11, 2009
Hmmm - Nothing do you & your hussie.
Make I welcome una in advance to Lasgidi.

(1) (Reply)

. / Develop Supernatural Powers / Does True Love Exist Again?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.