Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,299 members, 7,957,758 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:25 PM

Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones (2165 Views)

Three Significant Features Of The Upcoming Android 9.0 / Galaxy S8 Is Not Going To Feature A 3.5mm Headphone Jack / Would You Buy This Headphone For N134k? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by KCode: 2:31pm On Sep 12, 2016
Android OEMs will very soon follow Apple's example of terminating the headphone jack on smartphones.

We all can imagine the way of life without a headphone jack. That 3.5mm hole below or above your phone for audio support. Can be really frustrating right? But is it a step in the right direction? It probably should be.

What Apple is doing is simply pioneering the future once again, and trust me - they're pretty good at it. They were responsible for taking off the floppy disk drive from Computers (the iMac). And their goal this time is a wireless future.

Do you think you can live with that? No headphone jack anymore on your new phone (eventually coming to Android). Yeah! Why not? It's the future. I have a good feeling about this. I don't want headphone cables getting in my way. Will definitely stick to Bluetooth. Lightning headphones can also work. Using an Adapter is also an option. We hope to see more future technology on headphones / earbuds.

In essence - "Progress requires change; if the business never changes, it will never progress."

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 12, 2016
Apple is not the first company to release a phone without the headphone jack. Lenovo beat them to it with the Moto z and moto z force. But there's no doubt apple will make it popular. Same way apple made no removable battery, micro and nano sim popular.

6 Likes

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by KCode: 5:49pm On Sep 12, 2016
greenhulk:
Apple is not the first company to release a phone without the headphone jack. Lenovo beat them to it with the Moto z and moto z force. But there's no doubt apple will make it popular. Same way apple made no removable battery, micro and nano sim popular.
That's the idea
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Phonefanatic: 9:24pm On Sep 12, 2016
There is no problem building a phone with no earphone jack as long as wireless earphone is included..... Selling it separately to customers is a no brainer
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by joseph214(m): 12:22am On Sep 13, 2016
I thought that headphones are already being designed for the USB type c port so instead ur charging port can also be used for headphones.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by abatically(m): 12:26am On Sep 13, 2016
Phonefanatic:
There is no problem building a phone with no earphone jack as long as wireless earphone is included..... Selling it separately to customers is a no brainer

Bros I no come understand u oh. Let's leave fanboyism aside, the apple wireless earbuds are not supposed to be included in the box, they are sold separately even though too expensive. But in the box u get a wired lightening headphones (isn't that what is found in the box of every phone?) and a lightning to headphone jack adaptor in case u want to use other headphones. I don't know of any phone that ships with wireless headphones.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 12:56am On Sep 13, 2016
abatically:

Bros I no come understand u oh. Let's leave fanboyism aside, the apple wireless earbuds are not supposed to be included in the box, they are sold separately even though too expensive. But in the box u get a wired lightening headphones (isn't that what is found in the box of every phone?) and a lightning to headphone jack adaptor in case u want to use other headphones. I don't know of any phone that ships with wireless headphones.
Correct guy. Nice one.

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by fr3do(m): 5:11am On Sep 13, 2016
I believe no other company will follow them on that path of folly
you can face a wireless future without having to discard something as universally accepted as the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by muhrash(m): 5:55am On Sep 13, 2016
May b they want make permanent water proof because no real waterproof phone in the mobile mart.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 6:17am On Sep 13, 2016
fr3do:
you can face a wireless future without having to discard something as universally accepted as the 3.5 mm headphone jack.

But the reality is this; as universally accepted as the 3.5mm headphone jack is, it is outdated. And the fact that something has always been this way and hence should continue so is the thought of weak minds I would say. How about it could be made better or be completely isolated, with the provision of a better way of achieving that same thing? Technology is advancing by the day, and thus, outdated tech needs to give way for more advanced and sophisticated tech.

I don't always like the crowd thingy. Do you know that recently major browsers are ditching flash player for good in favour of HTML 5? This is something Steve Jobs had seen and thus why he refused to ever run flash on their browser (Safari) by default. When he wrote an article several years ago, a lot thought he was crazy and was being overly critical, and years later they discovered he was right about the security flaws and threats flash player possess. Sometimes you just have to look at the bigger picture.

Remember when it was just happy producing non-removable batteries in their phones. They were mocked for it. Now what's happening with high end phones? Let me see how you combine using premium materials with a removable back.

Or was it when they delved into building their chips using 64bits architectures? A lot aaid it was a gimmick, amd that it doesn't give any performance improvement when the amount of RAM ain't in the 4gb range. Today, every one of em (Qualcomm and the likes...) have followed suit.

Do you even know that USB-C was developed by Apple, and they pushed it through the necessary organisation to be made a standard? Knowing fully well that the adoption by other brands may be very slow, they pushed to make it a standard so that others would see it as the way to go.

Let's just watch and see how things unfold. Good morning.

4 Likes

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by AnodaIT(m): 6:57am On Sep 13, 2016
If the floppy disk which I totally relied on could go obsolete in my lifetime, anything is possible.

The main reason for the removal of the 3.5 is to truly make the phone waterproof, that's why most manufacturers will adopt it

Click to see my list of 5 things that Apple took away from us

1 Like

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Nobody: 9:01am On Sep 13, 2016
dmcdad:

But the reality is this; as universally accepted as the 3.5mm headphone jack is, it is outdated. And the fact that something has always been this way and hence should continue so is the thought of weak minds I would say. How about it could be made better or be completely isolated, with the provision of a better way of achieving that same thing? Technology is advancing by the day, and thus, outdated tech needs to give way for more advanced and sophisticated tech.

I don't always like the crowd thingy. Do you know that recently major browsers are ditching flash player for good in favour of HTML 5? This is something Steve Jobs had seen and thus why he refused to ever run flash on their browser (Safari) by default. When he wrote an article several years ago, a lot thought he was crazy and was being overly critical, and years later they discovered he was right about the security flaws and threats flash player possess. Sometimes you just have to look at the bigger picture.

Remember when it was just happy producing non-removable batteries in their phones. They were mocked for it. Now what's happening with high end phones? Let me see how you combine using premium materials with a removable back.

Or was it when they delved into building their chips using 64bits architectures? A lot aaid it was a gimmick, amd that it doesn't give any performance improvement when the amount of RAM ain't in the 4gb range. Today, every one of em (Qualcomm and the likes...) have followed suit.

Do you even know that USB-C was developed by Apple, and they pushed it through the necessary organisation to be made a standard? Knowing fully well that the adoption by other brands may be very slow, they pushed to make it a standard so that others would see it as the way to go.

Oga. For every one innovation that made the headlines and succeeded. There are a million others that flopped.

The 3.5mm jack is a cross platform opening. You have it in car stereos, laptops, airplane dash board and other devices that produce music or sound. Car manufacturers won't ditch their designs just to accommodate Apple neither would consumers sell their cars and buy new ones just to be able to use iphones and listen to music.

For your information, the charging port on cars has been the same way since 1940s and they are still there till today. Same way people shouted about Apple charging ports (firewire) or whatever they call it when it came to the market 4 to 5 years back and claimed everyone would switch. Nothing of such happened.

Innovation is not about complexity.It is about simplicity. Apple just caused a conundrum with their move. You are making life inconvenient for users of your products and trust me you would lose them . Can you charge and listen to music? What happens if you are at an airport, your phone is low and your flight has been delayed by hours. So you have to wait till your phone fully charges before you can connect a simple earpiece.

Just even imagine. What happens to users of MacBooks? Do you have this lightning ports on them? How do you listen to music on your Macs then? You would buy a separate earpiecewith 3.5mm jac or carry adapter around just to listen to music?

What about listening to music in your car and charging? so i have to go sell my perfectly working car and buy one with wireless Bluetooth player before i can play music and drive while charging.

Ogbeni...Apple went too far and they know it. That's why you see all these their damage control articles trying to prop up the buyers and explain it away.

You guys just make mouth and talk as if apple products don't have their issues. ITunes is the crappeist media player you can think of in the market that keeps crashing. Same with when they push new updates. Instead of solving old problems . IOs updates are always creating new ones. But because most Nigerians don't actually use their phone optimally they don't notice.

as for the guy talking about html5. Your example is laughable. Technology is always inproving, especially software to enhance functionality. What Apple did is like removing mouse pointers on computers and telling users to use screentouch to work on laptops.

3 Likes

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by fr3do(m): 9:29am On Sep 13, 2016
dmcdad:

you were just appealing to my emotions with Apple's popularity in your pseudo-argument! No facts

Analyzing the removal of headphone jack with facts.
1. It is wasteful, already owned wired headphones cant be used without adapter.

2. It is inconvient, you can't charge and use wired headphones same time.

3. it is unnecessary, you can start a wireless revolution without removing the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 9:38am On Sep 13, 2016
x240:

Oga. For every one innovation that made the headlines and succeeded. There are a million others that flopped.

The 3.5mm jack is a cross platform opening. You have it in car stereos, laptops, airplane dash board and other devices that produce music or sound. Car manufacturers won't ditch their designs just to accommodate Apple neither would consumers sell their cars and buy new ones just to be able to use iphones and listen to music.

For your information, the charging port on cars has been the same way since 1940s and they are still there till today. Same way people shouted about Apple charging ports (firewire) or whatever they call it when it came to the market 4 to 5 years back and claimed everyone would switch. Nothing of such happened.

Innovation is not about complexity.It is about simplicity. Apple just caused a conundrum with their move. You are making life inconvenient for users of your products and trust me you would lose them . Can you charge and listen to music? What happens if you are at an airport, your phone is low and your flight has been delayed by hours. So you have to wait till your phone fully charges before you can connect a simple earpiece.

Just even imagine. What happens to users of MacBooks? Do you have this lightning ports on them? How do you listen to music on your Macs then? You would buy a separate earpiecewith 3.5mm jac or carry adapter around just to listen to music?

What about listening to music in your car and charging? so i have to go sell my perfectly working car and buy one with wireless Bluetooth player before i can play music and drive while charging.

Ogbeni...Apple went too far and they know it. That's why you see all these their damage control articles trying to prop up the buyers and explain it away.

You guys just make mouth and talk as if apple products don't have their issues. ITunes is the crappeist media player you can think of in the market that keeps crashing. Same with when they push new updates. Instead of solving old problems . IOs updates are always creating new ones. But because most Nigerians don't actually use their phone optimally they don't notice.

as for the guy talking about html5. Your example is laughable. Technology is always inproving, especially software to enhance functionality. What Apple did is like removing mouse pointers on computers and telling users to use screentouch to work on laptops.
Bro calm the f*k down! If you didn't comprehend my piece, ask for clarifications. I never said everyone must or would follow Apple. For the records, Apple has its one proprietary charging cable in lightening cord as against the micro USB standard used by all others. I am only talking about how old the tech has been, plus the fact that it limits advancement so-to-speak in the world of digital audio.

And you stopped being objective by calling Apple's bluffs. No one ever said Apple are the saints. Infact, it's not about how good or how not good Apple are. C'mon, do you have a problem with comprehension? It's about techs that are maybe obsolete or maybe threatening in terms of user's security. Meanwhile, talking about iOS updates bring more problems than it has is normal, even moreso with Android. FYI, I ain't an Apple user. I use a Galaxy Note device, so I know very much about Android as much as I do with Apple's iOS.

As for the HTML 5 reaction, that's just poor from you. C'mon, read my post very well. I'm not making Apple the saint here, just mentioning how certain techs transition to being better or being replaced by more robust, efficient, reliable and safe alternatives.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 9:41am On Sep 13, 2016
fr3do:

you were just appealing to my emotions with Apple's popularity in your pseudo-argument! No facts

Analyzing the removal of headphone jack with facts.
1. It is wasteful, already owned wired headphones cant be used without adapter.

2. It is inconvient, you can't charge and use wired headphones same time.

3. it is unnecessary, you can start a wireless revolution without removing the 3.5 mm headphone jack.
Well... Apple is shipping lightening to 3.5mm out of the box.

You are correct about the inconvenience no doubt.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Decibel: 10:40am On Sep 13, 2016
x240:

As for the guy talking about html5. Your example is laughable. Technology is always inproving, especially software to enhance functionality. What Apple did is like removing mouse pointers on computers and telling users to use screentouch to work on laptops.
Unclad truth.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Nobody: 10:45am On Sep 13, 2016
dmcdad:

Bro calm the f*k down! If you didn't comprehend my piece, ask for clarifications. I never said everyone must or would follow Apple. For the records, Apple has its one proprietary charging cable in lightening cord as against the micro USB standard used by all others. I am only talking about how old the tech has been, plus the fact that it limits advancement so-to-speak in the world of digital audio.

And you stopped being objective by calling Apple's bluffs. No one ever said Apple are the saints. Infact, it's not about how good or how not good Apple are. C'mon, do you have a problem with comprehension? It's about techs that are maybe obsolete or maybe threatening in terms of user's security. Meanwhile, talking about iOS updates bring more problems than it has is normal, even moreso with Android. FYI, I ain't an Apple user. I use a Galaxy Note device, so I know very much about Android as much as I do with Apple's iOS.

As for the HTML 5 reaction, that's just poor from you. C'mon, read my post very well. I'm not making Apple the saint here, just mentioning how certain techs transition to being better or being replaced by more robust, efficient, reliable and safe alternatives.

I am calm. Maybe you are the one hyperventilating.

So the 3.5mm jack is obsolete?

Typical Apple fan boy or some who just swallows new tech without questioning it. For God's sake, this is not even a new tech. It is a sales pitch. Apple is telling you to buy their air pods for $160. Nothing is wrong with the
3.5mm jack.

It converts digital audio to analog one perfectly and no one has had an issue with it. It's greed and trying to dominate every segment that's their problem and that's what would be their end. Htc tried it and burnt their hands.

Apple thinks, if Dr Dre is making earphones and selling at $300, we should be able to also take a cut of that market. Nothing is wrong with that but you all should stop pitching this as innovation. That is my main grouse with all these innovation talks. This is more like backwardness and I can guarantee you this would fail.

It is a no brainer.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by joseph214(m): 11:02am On Sep 13, 2016
How will I now play games on my phone while charging. What of people that use non wireless pad for their phones how will they use their headphones. The worst thing is that these wireless ish doesn't last more than a day.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 11:41am On Sep 13, 2016
x240:

I am calm. Maybe you are the one hyperventilating.

So the 3.5mm jack is obsolete?

Typical Apple fan boy or some who just swallows new tech without questioning it. For God's sake, this is not even a new tech. It is a sales pitch. Apple is telling you to buy their air pods for $160. Nothing is wrong with the
3.5mm jack.

It converts digital audio to analog one perfectly and no one has had an issue with it. It's greed and trying to dominate every segment that's their problem and that's what would be their end. Htc tried it and burnt their hands.

Apple thinks, if Dr Dre is making earphones and selling at $300, we should be able to also take a cut of that market. Nothing is wrong with that but you all should stop pitching this as innovation. That is my main grouse with all these innovation talks. This is more like backwardness and I can guarantee you this would fail.

It is a no brainer.
The hyperventilation is only coming from you. You started it with your mention, so keep calm bruv.

Anyway, let's watch and see how things unfold. And please, don't make guarantees when you have no way of controlling them. Whats the failure if they end up selling millions upon millions of iPhone 7s albeit with the 3.5mm jack off?

Abeg make we leave matter for martha jare.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by KCode: 10:02pm On Sep 13, 2016
fr3do:

You don't say! Welcome to 2016!
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by xtervaganza(m): 11:55pm On Sep 13, 2016
Phonefanatic:
nk wireless earphones sound as good as wired earphones.

Forcing people to go wireless when today's technology is not ready for it is bonkers.

Isheeps will still buy it as they know nothing
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by xtervaganza(m): 12:11am On Sep 14, 2016
dmcdad:

how's the headphone jack outdated? Even when wireless headphones don't produce the same quality of sound the aux cord produces?

Some of you just crowd your brain with a lot of crap which makes you look the exact opposite of smart
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by xtervaganza(m): 12:13am On Sep 14, 2016
AnodaIT:
If the floppy disk which I totally relied on could go obsolete in my lifetime, anything is possible.

The main reason for the removal of the 3.5 is to truly make the phone waterproof, that's why most manufacturers will adopt it
news flash: the iPhone 7 is not even the best waterproof phone.

Samsung and Sony have better waterproof and they still have the headphone jack.

2 Likes

Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by xtervaganza(m): 12:17am On Sep 14, 2016
dmcdad:

Well... Apple is shipping lightening to 3.5mm out of the box.

You are correct about the inconvenience no doubt.
so should innovation bring convenience or inconvenience?

Tying yourself in kmot , aren't you?
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by dmcdad: 2:32am On Sep 14, 2016
xtervaganza:
how's the headphone jack outdated? Even when wireless headphones don't produce the same quality of sound the aux cord produces?

Some of you just crowd your brain with a lot of crap which makes you look the exact opposite of smart
Alright Mr Smart. Thanks.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by KCode: 8:52am On Sep 14, 2016
To compete with Apple, rivals may also eliminate the audio jack to make room for faster processors, better batteries and more durable parts. (A little-known fact: Lenovo beat Apple to removing the audio jack in its new smartphone, Moto Z, released this year.) - [NY Times]
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by KCode: 9:03pm On Oct 17, 2017
KCode:
To compete with Apple, rivals may also eliminate the audio jack to make room for faster processors, better batteries and more durable parts. (A little-known fact: Lenovo beat Apple to removing the audio jack in its new smartphone, Moto Z, released this year.) - [NY Times]
Google is now the latest to eliminate a headphone jack from its own smartphones (the Pixel 2 & Pixel 2 XL).
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by bobo65(m): 8:53am On Oct 18, 2017
fr3do:

It's already happening bro
Come 2020, headphone jack will be stale
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by MarkWayne89: 2:41pm On Oct 18, 2017
It was 1998 and Apple had just released the iMac G3.

It was a beautiful interesting computer: a sleek, all-in-one case, with something new called USB. One thing it didn't have was a floppy disk. At the time, many believed Apple was insane for leaving a floppy disk drive off the iMac, but did Steve Jobs care? Nope. The floppy was archaic technology to him. A CD-ROM drive was where it's at.

Well, in 2010 -- almost a decade after most people stopped using floppy disks, Sony, the inventor of the floppy disk, had officially announced that they are killing the 1.44MB storage device. As of 2011, Sony will no longer manufacture the floppy disk.

This is how Apple decides what technology is old. They dispose of it.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Stevengold(m): 3:23pm On Oct 18, 2017
Nonsense, make them kuku remove charging port.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Norman4real(m): 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2017
Phonefanatic:
I've owned wireless earphones before and sometimes it's inconveniencing when your battery drains while you're using them and have to put them aside for an hour as they charge. In my view we need the 3.5mm jack, after all it doesn't stop you from using wireless ones.
Re: Lack Of Headphone Jack Expected For Upcoming Android Phones by Norman4real(m): 3:36pm On Oct 18, 2017
MarkWayne89:
It was 1998 and Apple had just released the iMac G3.

It was a beautiful interesting computer: a sleek, all-in-one case, with something new called USB. One thing it didn't have was a floppy disk. At the time, many believed Apple was insane for leaving a floppy disk drive off the iMac, but did Steve Jobs care? Nope. The floppy was archaic technology to him. A CD-ROM drive was where it's at.

Well, in 2010 -- almost a decade after most people stopped using floppy disks, Sony, the inventor of the floppy disk, had officially announced that they are killing the 1.44MB storage device. As of 2011, Sony will no longer manufacture the floppy disk.

This is how Apple decides what technology is old. They dispose of it.
The floppy disk and Headphone jack are two separate things. Even if apple stopped including the headphone jack we still see iphone users buying micro adapters that convert from the USB port to 3.5mm headphone port. In other words they're being inconvenienced for no good reason. Lol.

(1) (Reply)

See How This Nokia Phone Saved A Man's Life In Afghanistan / NOKIA Announces First Android Smartphone – Nokia 6 Specs And Price In Nigeria / How Durable Is The Leagoo Kiicaa Mix?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.