Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,205 members, 7,953,761 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:25 AM

Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust (621 Views)

Train Derails In A Forest In Kwara, Passengers Stranded (Photos) / Benue Floods: Passengers Stranded As Road Divides Into Two / Passengers Stranded As Aero Contractors Airlines Suspends Operation (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by BeeBeeOoh(m): 4:49am On Sep 14, 2016
Hundreds of domestic and international passengers were stranded as Arik Air suspended operations at short notice yesterday.
The suspension of operations is attributed to the airline’s inability to renew insurance cover as well as its failure to pay backlogs of fuel debt running into billions of naira.

Arik, which is the largest West Africa airline operator, accounts for 60 percent of domestic operations in Nigeria.

The suspension left about 1, 500 passengers stranded at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja alone, a source said.

The source added that over 2,000 passengers were equally stranded in Lagos and five other destinations in Nigeria.

Frustrated passengers complained bitterly that the cancellations had cost them their businesses and other engagements in London, Ghana among other destinations.
There were angry scenes at Arik booking offices, especially in Abuja and Lagos where passengers hurled harsh words at ticketing and security staff.

For several hours, many of the passengers both at the international and local wings of Murtala ‎Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Lagos, were confused even as they expressed their frustrations with management of Arik Air whom they accused of keeping them in the dark.

“Why will they keep us in the dark? Where do I go from here? All my plans to arrive in London tomorrow have been shattered. Repaying my flight fare is not just what I want but even if they do that, will that fix all my business appointments they have shattered?” Biola Adebanjo, who later identified himself as a 35-year-old fashionista said.

“These people are quite heartless and wicked. I booked my return ticket to London last week and while doing that, the portal was still functioning and it did not reject my booking. I’m surprised that I can now come here and be told that all flights have been cancelled because of it is unable to renew its aircraft insurance,” another passenger said.

“Since they knew about the impending problem, why did they keep accepting bookings? Why did they bring us to see this state where there is no previous information or alert? Why? Why?” Joke Rochas, a
mother of two who said she had a flight booking to London said.

The airline said that it was “working around the clock to resolve the necessary documentation, which has been a challenge due to the long weekend holidays due to Eid al Adha,” a part of the statement read.

“At the present time, all flights of the airline have been cancelled for Tuesday, 13 September 2016,” a statement by the airline said.

This situation is likely to continue for the next few days until such time that NAICOM (National Insurance Commission) approves a waiver on a priority basis for the new insurance company to renew the policy, it added.

“All customers are kindly advised to contact Arik Air’s Call Centre (01-2799999), Airport or City ticket offices or visit the airline’s Website (www.arikair.com) for further updates. Passengers are also advised to check with the airline regarding the status of their flights before proceeding to the airport.”

The statement also conveyed the airline’s Arik Group CEO, Dr. Michael Arumemi-Ikhide’s wishes, advice and assurances to passengers and members of the public. ‎

‎ Arik Air is the third airline operator in less than three weeks to have suspended operations in recent times. Nigeria second biggest carrier, Aero Contractor was the first to grind its operation followed by First Nation airline which allegedly claimed to be undergoing maintenance of its A39 fleet.

At the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport Abuja yesterday, a senior staff with the Federal Airports Authority said the airline processed about 20 to 23 flights in and around Abuja daily.

One of Arik Air’s staff who spoke under condition of anonymity said the airline processed some 1,500 passengers daily out of Abuja alone. That suggests some 1,500 passengers were affected by the flights cancellation in Abuja alone.

Thus at an average ticket cost of N30,000 per seat, the airline may have lost some N45 million in revenue from Abuja outbound passenger yesterday.
An angry passenger, Mrs. Lawal stormed the Arik Air Abuja Station manager’s office in Abuja demanding for explanation.

“I bought a ticket with my daughter to Ghana for 6:30pm today (yesterday) I got to the airport and I’m told the flight has been cancelled till tomorrow evening (today). Is that the way you people operate?” She demanded.

“If you cannot operate normal schedule, shut down like Aero has done and let us know you are not flying. You have my email and my phone number and no one contacted me?” She asked the Arik Air Station manager, Mr. Wamildu Jilantikiri, who apologized and assured her Arik Air will resume normal flight operations Wednesday.

“How am I sure you will fly tomorrow? If the registration closes, what do I do? If only I got a notification, I would have looked for alternative.

When our correspondent contacted the General Manager, Public Affairs, NCAA, Mr. Sam Adurogboye as to whether NCAA will activate punitive measures on Arik over customer rights issues, he said “arising challenges will be sorted out” without specifics on how that would happen.
However, a top management of Arik Air staff who didn’t want his name mentioned said the passengers may be compensated based on Arik Air policy and NCAA Act.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/passengers-stranded-as-arik-suspends-operations/162388.html

Lalasticlala, Mynd44

Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by luvinhubby(m): 4:51am On Sep 14, 2016
Buhari abeg try and repent oo. !
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by chemicalDisease: 4:55am On Sep 14, 2016
The end is near

My prayer is , may people that voted this dullard called Buhari suffer most. Amin!
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by madridguy(m): 4:58am On Sep 14, 2016
Those who pray night and day for oil price to continue dropping and applaud avengers for every pipeline they blow up are the first to cry, buhari fix the economy we are hungry and people are losing their jobs. those who call the chibok girls a scam are the first to say buhari promised to bring back the chibok girls but has failed all his promises. those of us who are apolitical know why the economy is like this today .it's simple as ABC, oil is no longer selling, oil prices are low,militancy is at it's peak. Nigeria doesn't produce even a pin, we depend on oil by 90 percent. diversification for 140 million people won't take 1 year heck it won't even take 5 years. but I love buhari, he doesn't even hear the wailers, he just does what he does. the greatest tragedy for the wailers is that they already believe the PDP will come back to power any time soon. grin

Credit: ddippest.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by ificatchmodeh: 5:08am On Sep 14, 2016
Who do we blame..this country is not just ok.. one week, one major trouble..at times e dey pass.

Bubu wetin the sup..
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by Firefire(m): 5:08am On Sep 14, 2016
Welcome to Nigeria under the Durlard-deen government of 'Body Odor'

The CHAIN-JI is here, the suffering is REAL.
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by ironheart(m): 5:22am On Sep 14, 2016
At least this economy will let us know who the real business men are. Those who do not depend on Government official to survive. A lot of this airlines are in business as a result of air charter from dubious public servants. Its high time people get there priority right in this nation. On Nairaland, i see young men going into agro business startup, imagine if banks gives loans to a million startup at 5% interest rate. Or some big boiz instead of popping Champaign's come together to start an airline with cheap tickets that is pocket friendly and they make profit from volume sales.
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by EternalTruths: 5:29am On Sep 14, 2016
Out of hatred for the people of SE/SS, some people voted a government led by an Ancient Curse.

We will continue to mock those people till the end of time

Happy Recession Descendants Of a fallen Angel grin
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by amaechi1: 6:01am On Sep 14, 2016
The suspension of operations is attributed to the airline’s inability to renew insurance cover as well as its failure to pay backlogs of fuel debt running into billions of naira

As expected people will begin to insult the President, rather facing the man who could not manage his business. In the mist of these economy down turn some businesses are smelling to the bank. As for Arik, I am not surprise at this, the arrogance and no regard for common passengers may have contributed too. I remember, sometime last year, they had issue with FAAN for none payment of monies owned to FAAN workers. I have promised myself not fly Arik as my first choice after a bitter experience I had on one of their flight to SA.
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by gulfer: 6:16am On Sep 14, 2016
Hundreds of domestic and international passengers were stranded as Arik Air suspended operations at short notice yesterday.
The suspension of operations is attributed to the airline’s inability to renew insurance cover as well as its failure to pay backlogs of fuel debt running into billions of naira.
Is this a Buhari issue, why can't you guys be sincere for once.
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by eph12(m): 6:19am On Sep 14, 2016
madridguy:
Those who pray night and day for oil price to continue dropping and applaud avengers for every pipeline they blow up are the first to cry, buhari fix the economy we are hungry and people are losing their jobs. those who call the chibok girls a scam are the first to say buhari promised to bring back the chibok girls but has failed all his promises. those of us who are apolitical know why the economy is like this today .it's simple as ABC, oil is no longer selling, oil prices are low,militancy is at it's peak. Nigeria doesn't produce even a pin, we depend on oil by 90 percent. diversification for 140 million people won't take 1 year heck it won't even take 5 years. but I love buhari, he doesn't even hear the wailers, he just does what he does. the greatest tragedy for the wailers is that they already believe the PDP will come back to power any time soon. grin

Credit: ddippest.
He should have been advised to take things once at a time if not 2018 will come and go and everything he is trying to fix wouldn't be ready. It will be a tough campaign session. Just saying so another government does not come in to reap the fruits of buhari
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by jesse8048(m): 6:21am On Sep 14, 2016
The dullard shud resign immediately. For how long shud we b patient?
Re: Passengers Stranded As Arik Suspends Operations- Daily Trust by ephemm(m): 6:22am On Sep 14, 2016
Everything Buhari, did Buhari ask Arik not to pay its debt or renew insurance?!

Y'all posting without reading

Ur car insurance expire, road safety catch U, una come dey blame ur landlord, ur slap dey fixed deposit.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

53 People Burnt Beyond Recognition Along Benin- Onitsha Expressway / Donald Trump To Ban 2-year Visa For Nigerians….igodotv / Hit And Run: Trailer Knocks Down Motorcycle At Iyana Itire,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.