Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm (728 Views)

Obama & Attenborough Get New Species Named After Them / Unique Species Named After Bob Marley / Scientists Discover Hidden Lost Continent Named 'zealandia' Which Is Underwater (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by BlackSeptember: 5:30pm On Sep 14, 2016
US President Barack Obama has added a parasite to his presidential legacy after scientists named a newly discovered flatworm in his honour.
Baracktrema obamai is the second parasite whose moniker was inspired by Mr Obama.
The flatworm species, which has a long, thread-like body, infects Malaysian freshwater turtles.
Scientists who found the species said they named it for the 44th president because it was unique.

"This is clearly something in my small way done to honour our president," said Dr Thomas R Platt, an expert on turtle parasites who discovered the species.
He also said he was a distant relative of Mr Obama.
In honour of Mr Obama's latest namesake, here is a look at other surprising things named for the commander-in-chief.

Parasite
I
Holotype of Baracktrema obamai, named after President Barack Obama
Baracktrema obamai infects the lungs of freshwater turtles and can be fatal.
Researchers have previously named a hairworm, the Paragordius obamai, found in Kenya, after Mr Obama. The worm was discovered near where Mr Obama's father lived.

Fish

The fish is found inside the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument
As part of a tribute to Mr Obama's marine conservation efforts in the Pacific, scientists named a maroon and gold fish found off Kure Atoll at the Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument off Hawaii.
In 2012, researchers named a vibrant blue and orange freshwater darter, Etheostoma Obama, after Mr Obama. The fish is found in the Duck and Buffalo Rivers of the Tennessee River drainage.

Lizard

The Obamadon, an extinct, foot-long lizard with straight teeth, was named for the president due to his smile.

Mountain
Mr Obama is among the US presidents to have the distinction of a mountain named in his honour - but in Antigua. The island nation renamed Boggy Peak, its highest mountain, for Mr Obama on his birthday in 2009.
Lichen
Researchers named Caloplaca obamae in honour of Mr Obama's support for science education
In 2007, researchers named the fungus, Caloplaca obamae, after Mr Obama at the close of his first presidential campaign. Scientists made the distinction in honour of Mr Obama's support for science education.

Petrol station

The County Offaly village of Moneygall was the birthplace of Barack Obama's great-great-great-grandfather
An Irish countryside service station located in County Offaly, between Dublin and Limerick, was officially named for the US president.
The Barack Obama Plaza includes a petrol station, food court and visitor centre that provides information on Mr Obama's connections to Moneygall.
Obama in Ireland: Villagers ready to greet US president

Bird

A Western Striolated puffbird, known as Nystalus obamai, is also named in honour of the president. The bird is found in western Amazonia.

School

A Kenyan village names two schools after Mr Obama
A Kenyan school in the village of Kogelo, where Mr Obama's father was born and buried, bears the name of Mr Obama.
The Senator Obama Kogelo Primary School and Senator Obama Kogelo Secondary School were named in his honour while he was an Illinois politician.

Spider

Aptostichus barackobamai is one of 33 trapdoor spider species discovered in 2013
A trapdoor spider, Aptostichus barackobamai, was also named for Mr Obama, a known Spider-Man fan.
The spider species, which is found in California, is one of 40 that belong to the genus Aptostichus.
Other notable species include Aptostichus stephencolberti and Aptostichus angelinajolieae.
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by BlackSeptember: 5:32pm On Sep 14, 2016
He never arrested anyone or said it countered his faith
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by pweetychyka(f): 5:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
I can only imagine what woulda happened to d scientist if he did such in Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
His prosecution will bring about factory reset to his destiny grin grin grin

OP must u be d 1st to comment undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by BlackSeptember: 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2016
pweetychyka:
I can only imagine what woulda happened to d scientist if he did such in Nigeria cheesy cheesy cheesy
His prosecution will bring about factory reset to his destiny grin grin grin

OP must u be d 1st to comment undecided undecided
Didn't hear from you again
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by pweetychyka(f): 6:40pm On Sep 14, 2016
BlackSeptember:
Didn't hear from you again

I 'm so sowiiii dear!
Was feeling down
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by BlackSeptember: 6:42pm On Sep 14, 2016
pweetychyka:

I 'm so sowiiii dear!
Was feeling down
sick? Get better asap. Hope you see the mumu rain
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by pweetychyka(f): 6:43pm On Sep 14, 2016
wink
BlackSeptember:
sick? Get better asap. Hope you see the mumu rain

I dey tells u!
It got me drenched sha....
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by BlackSeptember: 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2016
pweetychyka:
wink

I dey tells u!
It got me drenched sha....
i was held up close tom home when leaving. Had to go back for it to abate but for where.

Was there traffic?
Re: Barack Obama Named After A Flatworm by pweetychyka(f): 7:34pm On Sep 14, 2016
BlackSeptember:
i was held up close tom home when leaving. Had to go back for it to abate but for where.

Was there traffic?

Yea but not much sha!
Tho buses were scarce

(1) (Reply)

Digiflavor Siren RTA - An Innovative GTA Tank / Photos: Zimbabwean Inventor Showcases His Own Drone, Electric Car, Helicopter (M / Man Mauled By Bear After He Teased It With Food (warning, Graphic video )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.