Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,167 members, 7,953,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:04 PM

Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something (7864 Views)

Nigerian Man Sentenced To Life In Prison For Drug Trafficking In Indonesia (Pic) / 21-yr-old Fresh Graduate Raped To Death In Ogijo / Drug Trafficking: 132 Nigerians Waiting To Die In China, Indonesia, Singapore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Pain(m): 6:12am On Dec 20, 2006
SIR: The Civil Liberties Organisation (CLO) is deeply concerned by the very high and grim prospect that 19-year old Iwuchukwu Amara Tochi, a Nigerian citizen sentenced to death in Singapore in April, may be executed in few days time unless the Nigerian government urgently and decisively intervenes to save his life. Therefore, the organisation calls upon civil society organisations and the media to embark on vigorous and concerted campaign to elicit such action by the Nigerian government.

The CLO calls on the Nigerian Government through a letter addressed to the Attorney General of the Federation to urgently take up this matter with the authorities of Singapore to ensure that, at least, Tochi's sentence is commuted to imprisonment.

Furthermore, the organisation is preparing to take a legal action at the Federal High Court to compel the Attorney-General of the Federation to file an action at the International Court of Justice (ICJ) to prevent the Singaporean government from executing Tochi.

Tochi was condemned in March 2005 by the high court in Singapore, after he was found guilty of carrying 727.03 grams of heroin into Singapore and is currently awaiting execution following the death sentence pronounced on him. During Tochi's trial, the Judge Mr. Kan Tin Chiu, made the following findings at paragraph 42 of the judgement (2005) SGHC233: "There was no direct evidence that he knew the capsules contained diamorphine. There was nothing to suggest that Smith had told him they contained diamorphine, or he had found that out of his own."

Still, the same judicial officer went on to find Tochi guilty, in contradiction of his own findings of fact. Unfortunately, the Court of Appeal, the highest appellate court in Singapore, closed its eyes to such palpable error of law and confirmed the conviction of Tochi.

The trial was full of irregularities, as Tochi, a foreigner, was not informed of his right to speak with the Nigerian Consulate to assist in securing the services of a competent lawyer of his choice to prepare his defence considering the fact that the alleged offence attracts death penalty. This failure was a breach of the Vienna Convention on consular relation which Nigeria and Singapore are signatories.

In our effort to save Tochi's life, the CLO sent one of its Staff Attorney, Mr. Princewill Akpakpan, to Singapore to press for Tochi's freedom and see him in prison custody, as mandated by the family. Unfortunately, however, the Singaporean authority further breached the right of Tochi by preventing Mr. Apakpan from seeing him in custody, a flagrant breach of United Nations Minimum Standard Rule for the Treatment of Prisoners,

This, in our view, is a clear case of racial discrimination against an African nationals, as the same treatment was not meted to an Australian lawyer who was given access to Van Nguyen Tuong, an Australian who was detained in Singaporean prison. We find the action of Singaporean government insulting and humiliating to the entire black race. This innocent boy must not die.

Osaze Nosaze,
Executive Director,
Civil Liberties Organisation,
Lagos

I Connect with this case because ive Been To Singapore and other places in South East Asia. The Criminal Justice System is Averse To Blacks.

Fellow Nairalanders Please Do Something. At least U can Post!!! Post !!!Post !!.

Anywhere CNN, ABC, BBC Etc, UN, Et All. Time is Running Out!!!
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by promise72(m): 7:25am On Dec 20, 2006
good ridiance.

F!#k the guy. what is he doing soiling our name carrying cocaine. Would he have picked me up in his Lexus if he succeed? or he will just take my girlfriend cos he got money.

nigeria's population is about 150 mill. we'll definately not miss this fool.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by ZuluNation(m): 7:37am On Dec 20, 2006
Very sad, put before he tried to smuggle heroin into singapore I'm sure he knew the penalty if caught would lead to a death sentence but he went ahead and did it any ways.

I'm a christen and I hate to see a fellow brother put to death. But some time it's very hard not to just say good ridiaance. People like that give they rest of us overseas a very bad name. Like the previous poster said if he had succeeded, and start flashing money at home we would not be talking about this.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by iice(f): 7:47am On Dec 20, 2006
ZuluNation:

But some time it's very hard not to just say good ridiaance. People like that give they rest of us overseas a very bad name.
For real o
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by MyPeace(f): 10:39am On Dec 20, 2006
Yes, living broad is better than living in NIgeria grin grin grin

This is example of what they do over there, and some will be arguing as if we dont know what majority of them do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God will help him and NIGERIA!!!!

I weap for NIGERIA and NIGERIAN as a BRAND cry cry
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by akani(m): 12:56pm On Dec 20, 2006
Oh my God! what is all this? Why is our people seeking hot means in getting money?It is very sadden to have learnt this from our presnt youth.The rate at which our people is getting riches is very bad,worse and worst hence it is better to arrest this issue because if care is not taken,the nation,s goodwill will not be recognised any more and it should be noted that this atrocites is presntly affecting most of our people claiming to be nigerian citizens in our country and outside the country.We should also remember that this is not restricted to the youth alone but most our leaders presently engage in this malpractices so i think they should be curbed.Notwithstanding,i think the Govt and most orginsation should take a decisive step to save the guy's life commuted to imprisonment because it is a detriment to the country's reputation.pls we must appeal to the authorities to come out in a concerted effort to rescue the boy's life to a bearable situation.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by mrmayor(m): 1:07pm On Dec 20, 2006
I have no sympathy for drug dealers,if this guy succeeded with his trip to Singapore,he would get a Chieftaincy title and a political office to go with it.

Hang Him High
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by LoverBwoy(m): 6:13pm On Dec 26, 2006
Anywhere CNN, ABC, BBC  Etc,  UN,  Et All. Time is Running Out!!!

just wondering why you didnt put AIT, Silverbrid, NTA et al  undecided
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by mamaput(f): 7:01pm On Dec 26, 2006
Why did he not say what all the others say. That it was not his druge,that someone put it in his bag.
Give some real links to post post post.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by sage(m): 10:35pm On Dec 26, 2006
MyPeace:

Yes, living broad is better than living in NIgeria grin grin grin

This is example of what they do over there, and some will be arguing as if we don't know what majority of them do!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God will help him and NIGERIA!!!!

I weap for NIGERIA and NIGERIAN as a BRAND cry cry

I guess for the up to five hundred that died today in the pipeline blast in the middle of a festive period, Nigeria has been good to them huh?
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by LoverBwoy(m): 10:51pm On Dec 26, 2006
sage:

I guess for the up to five hundred that died today in the pipeline blast in the middle of a festive period, Nigeria has been good to them huh?

you didnt mention three people shot by policemen who were subsequebtly killed by the mob
those three allegedly drove away after parting with "just N20" on christmas day!
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:00pm On Dec 27, 2006
hhhhmmm,funny enough i don't pity cause he wasn't blind to know that smuggling hard drugs into any country is a serious offence angry,but at least they should be a little mild. cry
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Akinagirl(f): 3:55pm On Jan 16, 2007
I think it was stupis what he did no doubt, but no one deserves a death sentacne for bieng stupid.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by layi(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2007
@akinagirl
Define "stupidity"?
Those who kill others are also stupid. Do they deserve death sentence for beign stupid?
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by gbengaijot(m): 6:29pm On Jan 18, 2007
Too bad i didnt se4 this thread on time.

I can see that we all have a non chalant attitude, thinking that because this guy carried heroine, then he should not be saved.

I wonder how many of us will not frown if someone is sentenced to death dfor carrying heroine. What about people who murder, what sentence will they get?.

The Nigerian foreing affairs and embassy overseas have a duty, a duty to serve and protect the interest of any, and i mean any Nigerian Citizen living abroad, even in the face of adversity.

I remembered a case of a british citizen of asian descent who was sentenced to death for murder in pakistan( I guess i am right) in 1983, and a whole prince charles had to visit pakistan to plead his case before the president. he was released into the hands of the british for him to serve his sentence in England. He has now been released, and taggged.

Please please and please, even though he is guilty, he still have a right to a fair trial, a right to appropriate lawyer, a right to Nigerian consular officials, a right not to be sentenced to death.

Nigeria is sick, and i will say again and again that Nigeria is "Jaga Jaga". I simply dont blame Eedrees for singing that song, infact it was a real inspiration.

Anything goes in Nigeria this days, can you imagine 500 citizens burned in the carnage in lagos, all the government had to say his SORRY!, while they go on fighting on a seat that they will leave within six months.

Let me ask, can they ascertain the names address of everyone that died?, no way. I cant imagine a country of 140 million who does not even have a database of 10 million of its citizen, not to talk of a 19 year old Nigerian who was sentenced to death,

SHAME ON YOU THE PRESIDENCY,, SHAME, !
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Imani(f): 7:14pm On Jan 18, 2007
Obviously this case should have been handled in some way by the Nigerian high commision in Singapore. Like someone pointed pointed out most countries at least would have used some sort of diplomacy to negiotiate something or at least do something about the young man's plight.

While i do not condone what the young man in question did, does he really deserve to die in a foriegn country? Of course every country has its laws by which residents are required to abide by but i just think death penalty is such a hard stance. People who break the law should and must be punished to serve as a deterrent to others, but there are more 'humane' ways of doing that (Lest i forget, i think a reverend was sentenced to death in Nigeria recently). Looks like the Nigerian government do not value the lives of it's citizens at home or abroad.

For those who think he deserved what he got (as he is bringing a bad name to the country), what of if he was your own blood, a brother, uncle, nephew, etc would you still have the same stance? More nigerians are involved in money scams popularly called 419 than in drug peddling as even reported recently on ABC news. No organisation or even the High Commision in America came out to refute the claims. Yes a nigerian was caught trying to scam an unsuspecting victim but does that represent a large proportion of nigerians? Such negative coverage only allows people to hold on to the misconceptions they already hold about Nigerians. If caught and the penalty is death in that country, should they also die? How many foreigners have been arrested on an offence in nigeria have actually served any sentence before they are released after diplomatic intervention? It is time for nigerians to stop looking out for just themselves, our leaders selfish attitude to life has got us no where as a nation!!!
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by promise72(m): 9:41pm On Jan 18, 2007
to Gbengaijot,

you are right. However, it is the responsibility of any citizen to jnow how f--d up its country is. Being a Nigerian, you suppose to know that your govt will not give a hoot about u. hence dont put yourself in a precarious situation. If gonna carry contraband research the country you will offend its law. Example, you stand a better chance of offending a UK/US law as far as drugs are concerned. The worst that could happen is that you will be jailed and u will come out alive someday.

In contrast, you try same thing in Saudi, your head will be cut off. We have alot of our citizen facing problems overseas and you are basically on your own. Heck, just to get apassport renewed overseas (even in Uk or US) thru the Nigerian Embassy is a hassle. Getting them on the phone alone in the US, you will count yoursel lucky if you are able to speak with somebody at all.

How on earth will i go put myself in a "jaga jaga" knowing all these things?. Lets face it, no matter where u go in life, justice for a black man is still lacking compared for a white man. U were comparing the case of a british citizen and Prince Charles was there. Well remeber there is BBC whicjh happens to be in every country. Of course they will broadcast the news. Pakistan will be more willing listen to Britain cos of other Diplomatic issues they will face if they fail to listen and carry out the sentence.

What does Pakistan need from Nigeria? What is their Diplomatic relationship at present? So dont compare apple and oranges.

I still maintain, Hang that boy high. i will volunteer to pull the lever grin
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Imani(f): 10:25pm On Jan 18, 2007
I still maintain, Hang that boy high. i will volunteer to pull the lever grin
[quote][/quote]

Even if he happens to be your brother? You must be very brave shocked
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by dblock(m): 5:53am On Jan 19, 2007
Why did the guy go to singapore in the first place. Those singapore people love executing people
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Pain(m): 5:55am On Jan 19, 2007
U Guys Are So Sure He Was Guilty. What Kind Of Empty Citizenry Do We Have.

I dont really know this Guy, but my heart goes out to him. He is Human and has not done waht most of us havent done. i.e " Hide Things".

One day all our own "Hidden Pet Sins" would be exposed under the Light of The Eternal Host. At Least, then we would know who was "Holier Than Thou".

Its Just a matter of time.

Its A Shame.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by dblock(m): 6:07am On Jan 19, 2007
nahhh the guy is guilty, but these asians usually play ROCK PAPER SCISSORS to decide wether or not to give the drugie a couple of decades or the death sentence. The guy should be arguing that he was trafficking the drugs as a way to get money and that he is not a consumer, otherwise these singapore hommies will use him to perfrom their favourite hobby, "EXECUTION"
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by gbengaijot(m): 5:44pm On Jan 19, 2007
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by 2old4that(m): 6:28pm On Jan 19, 2007
in the first place, wasnt he aware smuggling is illegal in that country; or did they forced the cocaine on him?

but i think he should've been given a fair trial either sentenced to jail; execution is rather too outrageous just for a cocain pusher.  how about other serious crime then?
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by gbengaijot(m): 12:49am On Jan 20, 2007
2old4that, read my last post properly. It seems this boy is not aware of it.

How do u think a teenager brought up in the remotest part of Nigeria will know what weed is not to talk of cocaine.
This boy was used( from his interview)

He deserves a fair trial ether guilty or not!
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by dasarge(m): 10:56am On Jan 21, 2007
This is specifically to you Imani or watever u call yourself. U keep screaming 'Hang the boy' i am quite sure you are older than the 19yr old Tochi but had he succeeded and brought that money to woo you, you will be with him even going as far as doing voodoo to seal your place with him. You people who say, its good riddance etc, have u forgotten what Jesus said to the people who wanted to kill the adulterous woman? Does that boy not deserve another chance to life? If that boy were a member of your family would you have said the same? Lets face it, how many of you have never done anything to ensure more wad in your wallet or bank account? not necesarily by way of stealing or conning people but by ways like tax evasion etc, cheating in a job exam, school exam etc?did u get caught? should you not thank God you are where you are today?
Please people, lets keep on posting for this boy as he definitely deserves a chance to live. Please !
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by mamaput(f): 11:33am On Jan 21, 2007
but it would be good if we had a link to post to.
Other people build up web sides for things like this. Were is this boys own
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Seun(m): 11:40am On Jan 21, 2007
Moving to Crime section. It's such a pity that some bloodthirsty people feel the need to execute non-murderers.

However, there is absolutely nothing we can do. Someone should have said something when the law was being made.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by promise72(m): 3:36pm On Jan 21, 2007
bloodthirsty my a$$. hang! hang! hang! hang! hang!haaaaaaannnnnnnngggggggg!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Eurphoria(f): 4:16pm On Jan 21, 2007
well well well

i have no sympathy for drug dealers or couriers. He picked the wrong country to smuggle to. Unfortunately its their law , he broke it , now only God will save him.

I have no pity for does who ply drugs to others, i know it's a personal choice to take drugs but if it weren't there they wont want it. Too many lives are affected by drugs, not just the muppetts who sniff, inject or smoke them,the lives of their families are ripped to shreds. So i am am not emphatic to any end a drug dealer meets at all, death or jail. One more off the streets is good enough for me. Dirty greedy sonuvabitch
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by mamaput(f): 5:24pm On Jan 21, 2007
B4 i came to Germany i did my round going to tell everyone good bye.
There was this little boy playing ball outside about 10 years old,
Well later i heard he was caught with drugs.( Not in one of these funny "ikilly you countries)
I could not se this boy as a grown man. 18 or 19.
For me it was still that little boy playing ball
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by Eurphoria(f): 5:54pm On Jan 21, 2007
mamaput:

B4 i came to Germany i did my round going to tell everyone good bye.
There was this little boy playing ball outside about 10 years old,
Well later i heard he was caught with drugs.( Not in one of these funny "ikilly you countries)
I could not se this boy as a grown man. 18 or 19.
For me it was still that little boy playing ball

well such is life, even Hitler started life as a young cutie boy. Life that is what happens. This boy made his choice, and his chose to be a drug smuggler, i do not empathise with him. He made his bed. He took the cowards way , instead of grinding it out like many other honest ppl.
Re: Nigerian Youth Sentenced To Death In Singapore! NairaLanders Do Something by gbengaijot(m): 10:05am On Jan 22, 2007
I do not support Drug dealers either, neither will i glorify his actions.

* Some of us are shouting Hang hang without reading the story. I am basing my judgements and sentiments on what i read from amnesty international and from a website put up for the boy at www.amara-tochi.de .

This boy lived ina failed system, that offers no opportunities, have we forgotten that the Nigerian system failed us?, am i the only one who think that?.

While most of us are lucky to grow up in a proper environmejnt, remember that this kid grew up in a village, where they dont even know the difference between A and B.

The fact still remains that, Nigeria is still a failed system as a diplomatic efforts would have saved him from death sentence.

Of course, i still very much want him to serve a jail sentence for his actions, but not death.
Death is just out of this all!.

If you agree that he should be killed, what do you do to young americans who take guns to school and spray bullets on innocent students ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

EFCC Arraigns Lawyer, Hurso Abba Amma For N10m Fraud In Borno / Two Female Teachers Kidnapped In Edo State. / I Met A Cultist Who Shot A Fellow Student Dead In ESUT In A Shopping Mall In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.