Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,820 members, 7,817,395 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:28 AM

Mobile App Developers Check This Out - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Mobile App Developers Check This Out (1530 Views)

How Much Do You Charge For Your Mobile App creation I need some app developers / Mobile App Developers Needed / Xamarin Is Now Free For Andriod And iOS App Developers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 9:18pm On Sep 18, 2016
Most mobile app developers like me have been handicapped by the fact that to develop an iOS, Android, Windows Phone or Blackberry app, you would need to install a lot of software on your computer. As we all know, you need to be versatile in at least two (if not all) of these technologies.

This was exactly the predicament I found myself in and I searched and tried some solutions until I found codenameone.com.

Believe me when I say that Codename One is a revolutionary product in the mobile application development world. It has a set of tools that bring Java’s “Write Once Run Anywhere" (WORA) philosophy to mobile devices.

These tools include APIs, Plugins (for Eclipse and NetBeans), Build Servers and Cloud Servers. In fact, the only thing you need to install on your computer is the plugin and Codename One takes care of the.

Why not check it out and let’s share thoughts on it here
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 11:14am On Sep 19, 2016
Guys has anybody tried this out? I think it has the potential of speeding up mobile applications development for anybody interested in that field.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Geranimo: 12:17pm On Sep 19, 2016
I am a mobile developer as well although just android and the website looks like a good idea. But my question is how to use it to develop an android app.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 12:37pm On Sep 19, 2016
Geranimo:
I am a mobile developer as well although just android and the website looks like a good idea. But my question is how to use it to develop an android app.

Great! Welcome to the club. Using it is as simple as installing the plugin in your IDE of choice. Presently it supports Eclipse, NetBeans, and I think, IntelliJ.

Installation is a breeze. Just follow this link www.codenameone.com/manual/ for installation instructions and more.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by jimcomb(m): 9:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
Nwabunnia:
Guys has anybody tried this out? I think it has the potential of speeding up mobile applications development for anybody interested in that field.
can you be my tutor on mobile app development?
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Geranimo: 11:46pm On Sep 19, 2016
jimcomb:
can you be my tutor on mobile app development?

I would love to but I don't have the time right now I'm sorry. What programming language do you know. If you know Java then Codename One will be very helpful. They have extensive documentation and support. believe me in no time at all, and with dedication, you'll be an expert.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 3:59am On Sep 20, 2016
Geranimo:

I would love to but I don't have the time right now I'm sorry. What programming language do you know. If you know Java then Codename One will be very helpful. They have extensive documentation and support. believe me in no time at all, and with dedication, you'll be an expert.

I think it was actually me he mentioned. @jimcomb, pm me. Let me see what could be done.

@Geranimo, were you able to install the plugin? How did it go?
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Geranimo: 12:01pm On Sep 20, 2016
Nwabunnia:

I think it was actually me he mentioned.

@Geranimo, were you able to install the plugin? How did it go?

Sorry about that. My bad. But help can still come from anywhere na grin grin

I have installed the codename plugin on my Netbeans and tried it out. I must say it is a very good product but I think the learning curve is a bit steep (especially for someone who is just learning programming). I had to go to their website and the internet to get examples and manuals before I could build and test the app. It even has a virtual emulator for testing.

I did not send the built jar file to the build server to get the native android apk file however because my internet connection was bad. Will do that letter to see how it goes. But why couldn't they just add it to the plugin instead of having to send it to the build server first.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Hardy007(m): 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2016
Just installed on Eclipse and built the sample app. Must say it is very very nice. Have been thinking of how to download Android Studio - which is more than 1 gig - before I saw this.
However, the compilation time took almost forever. I dont know whether it is bug or my sytem but it was damn slow. Also when changing layouts the layout always remained in border layout even if you switch to another layout.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by raynold(m): 7:23pm On Sep 20, 2016
Good day need help from someone good in android development. having little issues setting up my navigation header drawer.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Hardy007(m): 10:57pm On Sep 20, 2016
Another thing I noticed from their website is that they have pricing. What is the pricing for? I thought they said it is open source?
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 7:19am On Sep 21, 2016
Hardy007:
Another thing I noticed from their website is that they have pricing. What is the pricing for? I thought they said it is open source?

I think the pricing is for if you want to add some extra features like push notification, 24/7 support, etc.
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by destino24(m): 7:24pm On Sep 21, 2016
Doesn't work on Android studio. Very sad
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 8:09pm On Sep 21, 2016
destino24:

That's just the whole point of it. You don't need Android Studio again. All you need is your IDE of choice. Go to http://www.codenameone.com/manual/ for more info on usage and installation
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 6:11pm On Sep 22, 2016
destino24:

Did you try it out on an IDE?
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by destino24(m): 6:42pm On Sep 22, 2016
Nwabunnia:

Did you try it out on an IDE?

Android Studio is an IDE. It doesn't work on the IDE, at leastthats what they said
Re: Mobile App Developers Check This Out by Nwabunnia(m): 6:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
destino24:

Android Studio is an IDE. It doesn't work on the IDE, at leastthats what they said

grin grin grin grin

I know Android Studio is an IDE. What I meant was Eclipse, NetBeans, IntelliJ. You don't need it when you have Android Studio so it's not supported. The idea is, if you don't have Android Studio (to download and install it is not easy data-wise), then you can install it in your IDE and transform it to "Android Studio" so to say.

It removes a lot of the bloatware in Android Studio. For instance, you can compile and test on your IDE (has emulator), but to build the distributable fole (apk, bar, etc,), you have to sign in and connect to the build server which does that. Same thing with using some features such as push notification, etc.

(1) (Reply)

Boy Hacks Into Unilag College Of Medicine Website & Brags About It / How Do I Automatically Modify A Row In Mysql After A Set Time Using PHP? / Biometric Data Capture Software

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.