Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,033 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:03 AM

How To Boost The Speed Of Your Computer By Defragmenting Its Hard Drive - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How To Boost The Speed Of Your Computer By Defragmenting Its Hard Drive (986 Views)

Clean Direct Uk Used Dell Latitude Core I5 Wit A Processor Speed Of 2.67ghz / How To Check Internet Speed Of Your Computer Without Any Software / How To Remove All Viruses From Your Computer Using Rescue USB Disk. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Boost The Speed Of Your Computer By Defragmenting Its Hard Drive by tunisbaba(m): 4:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
When your computer starts competing with a snail in a race to determine which is faster, you are definitely sure that something is wrong with it. Most people blame viruses and malware for being the bad guys causing this problem.

And of course, these people are right most of the time, but in some other time, especially when you don’t have problem with virus, a fragmented hard disk drive is equally enough to take your computer into “slow motion”. Even Microsoft knew this and then suggested that we should often use disk defragmentation tools to boost our computer’s performance.

Oh! You are reading this article and wondering what is meant by fragmentation in hard disk.

O.K., fragmentation in hard drive simply means the data stored in it, overtime, becomes fragmented (wear) and split into multiple parts. This makes is difficult for hard drive to read the files and in turn slow down a computer. But fortunately, this problem can be fixed; thanks to Windows inbuilt defragmentation tool.

Now that you know the meaning, follow these steps to defragment (undo fragmentation) your drive:

Launching Defragmentation Tool

* Click the Start Button and then on Control Panel: if you are on Windows 10 like me, just right-click on the Start Button. This will bring out a list of options including control panel; simply click on Control Panel.

* In Control Panel, find the option named View By; it is located towards the top-right corner.

* If you have found it, then change the View By settings from Category to Small Icons.

* From the list of all the displayed tools, click on Administrative Tools.

* Then double click on Defragment and Optimize Drives

* Launching the tool will open a Window named Optimize Drives, and a list of all virtual drives, both internal and external, will be displayed in a box.

Analyzing and Optimizing Your Drive

* Click on (Csmiley, then on Analyze; in my case, 3% of my disk volume is fragmented.

* After analyzing, then click on Optimize.

Clicking the optimize button will start the optimization process, and to be sincere with you, this process takes a lot of time to compete, depending on the level of fragmentation in your hard drive. So I recommend hibernating your computer when the power gets low and later continue when next you have power, or better still, do it overnight.

How Often Should I Optimize My Drive?

Personally, I recommend you do this process every three months, so as to reduce the rate of fragmentation of your files and to save time required in defragmentation.

By following these steps in details, the performance of your computer should improve, but if it doesn't, It means replacing the drive maybe the best way to boost its speed; an alternative option is to increasing your RAM to see if there will be improvement. When there is no improvement after increasing your RAM, then the best option is your only option.

Culled from: http://howtotechnaija.com/boost-speed-computer-by-defragmentation-hard-drive/

(1) (Reply)

How Intelligent Is Bill Gates? / How I Hard Reset My Android Smartphone / Rapair Your Hard Disk With Me, Both Solid State, Dynamic, SATA Or IDE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.