Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,305 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

Fidelity Bank Md,nnamdi Okonkwo Explains Why Dmbs Don’t Give Long Term Loans - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Fidelity Bank Md,nnamdi Okonkwo Explains Why Dmbs Don’t Give Long Term Loans (366 Views)

Securities, Term Loans Lift UBA Performance In Q3 / Nnamdi Okonkwo Reinstated, Resumes As Fidelity Bank MD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank Md,nnamdi Okonkwo Explains Why Dmbs Don’t Give Long Term Loans by pipiko: 10:18am On Sep 21, 2016
Group Managing Director, Fidelity Bank Plc Nnamdi Okonkwo, has explained reasons why Deposit Money Banks (DMBs) in Nigeria do not give long term credit facilities, saying that bank’s deposits are mainly short-term in nature and lending such funds to customers for long-term can lead to asset mismatch.

Fidelity Bank MD, who spoke weekend at the 2016 Annual Conference organized by Finance Correspondents Association of Nigeria (FICAN) in Lekki, Lagos said although the banks would want the economy to grow by lending to farmers and other productive sectors of the economy, they also have to keep an eye on the stability of their institutions.

Speaking on the theme: ‘Nigeria Beyond Oil: Financing Options for Non-Oil Exports’, Okonkwo said “A whole lot of people do not realize that banks’ business is to buy and sell money. So, I come to the market to purchase my raw material is cash and my finished goods are also cash. Every other thing banks do are added services. Banks get a lot of bashing for not lending long-term."

Nnamdi Okomkwo stated further ,"Then I ask you, if as a banker, I know that secret place, where I can find long-term funds, we will be the number one bank in Nigeria today, because I can lend long-term. He reiterated that most depositors, who have huge amounts to save, invest in short term basis and collect huge interest on such deposits.

SOURCE: http://www.championnews.com.ng/fidelity-bank-md-explains-why-dmbs-dont-give-long-term-loans/

(1) (Reply)

Are You A Data Driven Organisation? / Do You Know You Can Make Huge Income Creating Wordpress Themes For Users / Online Tax Service

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.