Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,771 members, 7,827,848 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:50 PM

Do You Want To be A Film Director? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Do You Want To be A Film Director? (795 Views)

Dangote Group Appoints Olakunle Alake As Its New Group Managing Director / Dangote Cement Appoints Cherie Blair, Tony Blair’s Wife As Director / As A Director, Sack Any Employee That Behaves Like This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Want To be A Film Director? by Filmsharks: 11:44pm On Sep 22, 2016
Choosing what to write about sometimes can be more of an arduous task than writing. To sift through lots of conflicting article begging for space is no mean task. While i was thinking of what i should write i got a call from someone who wanted to become a video director and am like okay - lets talk about this.

I get a lot of calls from neophytes desperate about getting an inroad into the production business. I must admit that most of the calls are from people who are compelled by news of the financial opportunities involved and grand-standers. Well, i won’t want to put everyone under this umbrella. I will for the sake of people that genuinely want to be a film director share a few ways to achieve that aim.

You don’t have time on your side as everything you need to be a video director is in you. Beyond the cameras, crew and grips is a determination and passion to be a director. You are a director the moment you think you want to be a director but your motivation will determine if you will be a successful one or a stint worker. There is no career that your reason for joining it should be money. The frustration embedded in directing makes it stand out. You can’t be a director because you want to make money but you can make money being a director. Your drive must essentially be to shoot differently. Interpret visuals precisely. Creatively present your imagination. I have the opportunities of working with a-list directors and fraternize as friends. Trust me you won’t believe how passionate they are about their works. They are motivated, sustained and impelled by staunch devotion to their passion. They are not in the business because someone somewhere is making money from the business they are in it as long as the business keep giving them the opportunity to express themselves in frames.

See I don’t know about anywhere else in the world but in Nigeria to be a director you don’t have to follow any stringent or carved canon. Its encouraging to know that being a director is a leap a video editor has attained. A space a gaffer has occupied and a dream a film graduate has reached. I know of actors who are now directors, know of people who just learn under a cousin/uncle, know someone who went to film school and didn’t finish, know about someone who studied nothing close to media or film making calling director’s shot, people who learn on youtube or vimeo and film school graduates making amazing works.

All am saying is that there is no constitution on how to be a director - you just have to follow your dreams independent of you present situation or predicament. I am not saying you won’t need experience or knowledge of the know how but you should not be stereotyped to think that to be a director you must pay handsomely in a foreign film school. You can learn through resources online, be an intern, read books about production, start work from the lowest caste of production like best boy and walk your way up, learn how to edit or film, or you can direct and learn hands on. You don't have to limit or restrict your dream because of the scary film school fees - they are a-list directors who never stepped into any of the film schools. If you can afford it - trust me, it will save lots of stress but everyone still learn on the job at the end.

You don’t have an excuse to be what you want to be in life you only need to have a motivation that is much more than money.

http://filmsharks..com/2016/09/you-too-can-be-film-director.html

Re: Do You Want To be A Film Director? by Nobody: 12:03am On Sep 23, 2016
Thanks
Re: Do You Want To be A Film Director? by Filmsharks: 1:57am On Sep 23, 2016
Smallville10:
Thanks
you welcome. will be on hand if you any further info. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Do You Want To be A Film Director? by writeveteran177: 12:02am On Jul 19, 2022
If you wanna be an actor, contact Dickson Adoga, he is a Nollywood film producer, actor and director.he can include you in your films

(1) (Reply)

Potential And Professional Medical Laboratory Scientists / Does Anyone Know About Royal Arts Academy, Lagos. / World Class Fumigation And Pest Control Training In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.