Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,688 members, 7,809,604 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Here's What Happen To Your Brain When You Get Drunk - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Here's What Happen To Your Brain When You Get Drunk (420 Views)

8 Things That Happen To Your Body During Sex / The Scary Thing That Happens To Your Brain When You Check Your Phone At Night / Read What Happens To Your Brain When You Listen To Music (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Here's What Happen To Your Brain When You Get Drunk by Alozsilviaz: 11:39am On Sep 23, 2016
Chronic drinkers who exercise five hours a week have the same rate of mortality as those who never drink alcohol, in large part by counteracting the inflammation caused by alcohol
The only ones who could not cancel out the harms of their alcohol consumption were those who drank dangerous levels of alcohol each week (20 or more standard drinks for women and 28 or more for men)
Long-time drinkers who exercise regularly also have less damaged white matter in their brains compared to those who rarely or never exercise. Exercise may also curb tendency toward alcohol abuse.

According to the latest statistics, 57 percent of Americans drink alcohol at least once a month.1 Alcohol consumption is a controversial issue. Some studies suggest "moderate" consumption is harmless; others propose it may even have some health benefits.

For instance, research shows people who have one to two drinks a day may have a significantly reduced risk of death from heart disease and "all causes" compared to those who never drink alcohol.2

The latest Dietary Guidelines for Americans also notes that "moderate consumption of alcohol [is a component] of a beneficial dietary pattern in most studies."3 That said, "moderation" can be a moving target, depending on your age, height, weight, gender, health status, emotional state and more.

And, while some studies show benefits, others show alcohol consumption increases your risk of chronic diseases such as cancer — even at moderate intake levels.4 Moreover, when compared to other recreational drugs, such as tobacco and marijuana, alcohol is the deadliest.5

In the Big Scheme of Things, Less Alcohol Is Better

I generally define "moderate" alcohol intake (which is allowed in the beginner phase of my nutrition plan) as a 5-ounce glass of wine, a 12-ounce beer or 1 ounce of hard liquor, with a meal, per day.

As you progress further in the nutrition plan, I recommend eliminating all forms of alcohol. Even if it provides some benefit, it's unlikely that alcohol will add much to an otherwise healthy diet and lifestyle.

That said, if you're currently a drinker — whether your consumption is moderate or you tend to overdo it — research suggests exercise can go a long way toward mitigating the health risks, including reducing your risk for heart disease.

This makes sense when you consider the fact that exercise may be one of the most effective strategies for protecting and strengthening your heart. So much so, research shows regular exercise can significantly lower your health care costs if you have heart disease.

In one study, 30 minutes of vigorous exercise, five times per week, resulted in annual health care savings of more than $2,500 per person.6

Acute Effects of Alcohol

Alcohol depresses your central nervous system, which slows down the communication between your brain cells. Your limbic system, which controls emotions, is also affected. This is why alcohol consumption lowers your inhibitions.

Your prefrontal cortex, a brain region associated with reasoning and judgment, also slows in response to alcohol, leading to more impulsive behavior and poor judgment. At higher doses, your cerebellum, which plays a role in muscle activity, will also be impacted, leading to dizziness and loss of balance.

High doses can also result in alcohol poisoning, which can shut down areas of your brain that control basic life-support functions like breathing and heart rate, leading to death. Women are more vulnerable to alcohol poisoning, in part because they have lower percentage of water in their bodies than men.

Women also have less dehydrogenase, a liver enzyme designed to break down alcohol. Women can get themselves into serious trouble if they consume four or more drinks in a two-hour period; men if they consume more than five. Telltale signs of alcohol poisoning; To read more logon to www.silvialozie.com

1 Like

Re: Here's What Happen To Your Brain When You Get Drunk by FlySly05: 11:47am On Sep 23, 2016
I still maintain self-control is the ke moderate alcohol consumption. Also moderate consumption has it health values. Trust me I have tested it with verifiable results.

(1) (Reply)

Seasonal Airbone Disease / Help. Pain In My Abdomen And Sweat Wen I Walk A Little / How To Manage Abdominal Pain In Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.