Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,988 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:04 AM

What Not To Eat During Pregnancy: A Survival Guide Advice From A Mom - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Not To Eat During Pregnancy: A Survival Guide Advice From A Mom (486 Views)

Pityriasis Rosea-anyone With A Survival Testimony? / After 3 Years Of Pregnancy, A Woman Gave Birth To This. Viewer's Discretion / Is Pregnancy A Disease? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Not To Eat During Pregnancy: A Survival Guide Advice From A Mom by streethunt: 10:37am On Sep 24, 2016
Ah, the irony of pregnancy: You’re constantly ravenous (if you’re not nauseated), yet you can’t eat what you want. As if the indignity of constipation, heartburn, and stretch marks weren’t enough. Coffee? Questionable. Deli meats? Suspect. Sushi? So long, old friend.

Some of this restriction is simply due to an abundance of caution, says Deb Gowen, a certified nurse midwife who’s worked in Boston hospitals for three decades. Because many of these foods and drinks haven’t been extensiver to advise pregnant women to avoid them.

But while a naughty sip of alcohol at a wedding or an all-important morning coffee probably isn’t going to totally derail your pregnancy, it might leave some nagging worries in the back of your head. “Know your risk tolerance,” says Gowen. “Examine who you are. If you think you’re going to look back and wonder if [something you ate] hurt your baby, don’t do it.”

As such, I lived like a nun during my first pregnancy. This time around (yep, I've got another bun in the oven), I’m treating my welt-ridden stretch marks with the occasional Tylenol or Benadryl (bliss). I’ll have a sip of wine at a dinner party. And I have even—gasp!—enjoyed an Italian sub at a reputable deli.

If you’re pining for a spicy tuna roll or wondering how to get through your college roommate’s third wedding without a sip of booze, read on.

Alcohol

It's bummer that you can’t reach for Chardonnay at the end of the day. But it's for a good reason, since there’s really no solid research indicating how much alcohol pregnant women can safely drink. In the first and third trimesters especially, says Gowen, fetal defects can occur. “Why risk it?” she says. “There are enough non-alcoholic drinks out there.” Plenty of her clients enjoyed happy hour before knowing they were pregnant, but once you do know, it’s just simpler to err on the side of caution.

The fix: Drink a new indulgence when you’d normally uncork the booze, so that it feels like an (innocent) treat after a long day. I’ve substituted my favorite relaxation drink (90+ Cellars Sauvignon Blanc—weep!) with another indulgence: coffee milk (milk mixed with java-flavored syrup). More benign, but the ritual of enjoying it is the same. continue reading @ http://streethunterng.com/2016/09/24/what-not-to-eat-during-pregnancy-a-survival-guide-advice-from-a-mom-whos-been-there/

(1) (Reply)

Medical Surveillance And The Nigerian / Save A Heart Campaign / Your.M.D: Symptoms Checker App For Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.