Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,892 members, 7,817,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. (1485 Views)

NYSC Corper Survives Ghastly Accident En-route To Abuja (PHOTOS) / 7 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP Today.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Samhyme: 7:20pm On Sep 24, 2016
I understand the excitement that goes with passing out of service. In fact, you are so excited, you
want the whole world to know. A lot of people show this by sharing their POP pictures and NYSC
Certificates on social media like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, BBM etc. You won't have to go for
the CDS again, no more khaki trousers, no more of those heavy orange boots, and for some, no
more issues with your LI and so on and so forth. You just can't wait to pick your NYSC Certificate
and run!. The Big question is, run to where?
The truth is, it's tougher out there in the Nigerian Labour Market. Ask your seniors.
As a Corper, at least you had a monthly income. But after POP, if not retained at your work place,
many of you will go incomeless (if there's a word like that) and hop into the world of job search.
The bad news is: Nobody really cares about you. It's cold and rough out there and that's not
funny.
The good news? I care in my own little way. Consequently, I've compiled 6 tips to guide you in this
process.

1) Exchange Contacts with Others and keep in Touch:
It's very common for most of us to get so drowned in the excitement of
passing out. During your POP, don't just pout your lips and take selfies
with your supposed Corper friends. Exchange phone numbers, emails, BB
Pins with them and keep in touch afterwards. This way you can know
what is going on in their lives and vice versa.

2) Create a Professional Profile:
I've come to realize that a lot of fresh graduates today
underestimate the importance of a professionally drafted profile.
Prepare a good CV and Cover Letter and keep them handy.
Always have a copy in your mail box and if possible in your
phone. You never can tell where they will be needed. You don't
want to lose that mouth watering job in an Oil Company in Lagos
just because you couldn't provide your CV when needed.

3) Relocate to Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt:
Talking about Lagos. The truth is, Lagos is a Haven of opportunities. No
city in Nigeria has as much opportunities in Nigeria as Lagos. With lots
of places to work and lots of things to lay your hands on, from banks
to Oil firms, muiltinationals, NGOs, and even to the Entertainment
industry!
Abuja is another good place to live if you are a job seeker. Though
many claim that you have to know somebody who knows somebody
that can give you a job. But in all, there are lots of opportunities in the
Federal government parastatals, Ministries, International NGOs etc.
Last but not the least is Port Harcourt, the Oil city of Nigeria, with a bunch of opportunities in the
Oil and Gas industry and other lucrative sectors.
My point is, these cities are the job hub of the nation. If you have long being a job seeker and not
residing in any of these cities, I guess it's high time you packed your bags and and made a smart
move to these any of these cities.
This doesn't mean you cant find jobs in other cities of Nigeria. But odds the are high here.

4) Network:
Leave your nest and start networking with other professionals.
The jobs are out there. But you never might know until you
seek.

5) Announce yourself:
Except for you parents and siblings, most people really do not
care what you are doing. You have to tell them yourself. Let
them know your are jobless and need a job. Be humble and
stop 'forming'.

6) Play:
All work and no play makes you dull. Do you think Exxon Mobil
is looking for a dull employee? Hell No! So make out time and
play from time to time. It refreshes you. Believe me.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Collenshy2020(m): 7:28pm On Sep 24, 2016
Spot on o.p__ more grace to you.

1 Like

Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Muhsinkhan(m): 7:33pm On Sep 24, 2016
Nice one op, make i add my own:
7. Pray!!! Even if you're an atheist. Because for this naija wey we dey now, we all need God!!!

3 Likes

Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Samhyme: 7:35pm On Sep 24, 2016
Thank you.....I believe this will help batch b NYSC corps member
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
great job bro.
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Taeewo(m): 9:23pm On Sep 24, 2016
Good
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by chumaster(m): 8:52am On Sep 25, 2016
7: Use the skills you have learnt overtime to start something petty while looking for the greener pasture. Don't be shy
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Nobody: 12:15pm On Sep 25, 2016
Good one bro
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 25, 2016
Thanks so much for this.

Making friends mood activated angry
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Man90(m): 1:48pm On Sep 26, 2016
In addition, stay away from sin and have faith in God.
Re: 6 Things Every NYSC Corper Should Do After POP. by Nobody: 8:38pm On Sep 26, 2016
Iamhatey:
Thanks so much for this.

Making friends mood activated angry
pm me wink

(1) (Reply)

Batch B 2016 Camping Date / 2017 Batch A Registration Starting / Nysc Payment (who Else Has This Issue)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.