Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:40 AM

10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ (3083 Views)

Saudi Arabia & China For Christ, Apostle Johnson Suleman Takes Crusade To Asia / Ex-atheist From Reddit Finds God, Attests To Hatred Towards God And Christians. / How I Found God: Marilyn Adamson (ex-atheist) Shares Her Experience. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 11:16pm On Sep 24, 2016
C.S. Lewis was one of the most prominent atheists of his time.
In the early hours of 21 September 85 years ago, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien were debating the coherence of Christianity in one of the foundational moments that led Lewis to become a Christian.

Lewis, an Oxford professor and author, went on to become one of the great bastions of 20th century Christianity against a growing tide of atheist philosophy. As well as the Narnia series he went on to write and lecture in defence of faith. His most famous apologetic, Mere Christianity, is still widely read today.

On the anniversary of this significant date, here are 10 quotes from Lewis on the case for Christianity.

1. "Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and, if true, of infinite importance. The one thing it cannot be is moderately important."

2. "A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic– on the level with the man who says he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill Him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronising nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to."

3. "To be ignorant and simple now – not to be able to meet the enemies on their own ground – would be to throw down our weapons and to betray our uneducated brethren who have, under God, no defense but us against the intellectual attacks of the heathen. Good philosophy must exist, if for no other reason, because bad philosophy needs to be answered."

4. "Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God."

5. "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

6. "All I am in private life is a literary critic and historian, that's my job... And I'm prepared to say on that basis if anyone thinks the Gospels are either legends or novels, then that person is simply showing his incompetence as a literary critic. I've read a great many novels and I know a fair amount about the legends that grew up among early people, and I know perfectly well the Gospels are not that kind of stuff."

7. "If Christianity was something we were making up, of course we could make it easier. But it is not. We cannot compete, in simplicity, with people who are inventing religions. How could we? We are dealing with Fact. Of course anyone can be simple if he has no facts to bother about."

8. "If you had gone to Buddha and asked him: 'Are you the son of Brahma?' he would have said, 'My son, you are still in the vale of illusion.' If you had gone to Socrates and asked, 'Are you Zeus?' he would have laughed at you. If you had gone to Mohammed and asked, 'Are you Allah?' he would first have rent his clothes and then cut your head off. If you had asked Confucius, 'Are you Heaven?' I think he would have probably replied, 'Remarks which are not in accordance with nature are in bad taste.' The idea of a great moral teacher saying what Christ said is out of the question. In my opinion, the only person who can say that sort of thing is either God or a complete lunatic..."

9. "If you are concerned about your loved ones that won't be in Heaven, the most irrational thing you could do if you are truly concerned about those on the outside is to remain outside yourself."

10. "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

http://www.christiantoday.com/article/10.times.c.s.lewis.made.the.case.for.christ/96030.htm

9 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 11:21pm On Sep 24, 2016
cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4evergod, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe, Ranchhoddas, Omooba77
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 11:40pm On Sep 24, 2016
I love reading the works of this man. He took the case for christianity to another level entirely. His words will make any right thinking person wonder.

Take for instance, my favourite quote of his:
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

Every human being has felt this way, those who have acheived all their goals, all their dreams. Sometimes, we just cant be fully satisfied by anything in this world.
If the world is all there is and ever will be, then human needs will be satiable. But this is not the case, human needs are insatiable. He always want more when you give him more. It proves only one thing. There is something more. Reality is not all there is, there is more to reality.
This is exactly why the majority of people who have lived have believed in one form of god or the other, even though those forms may have been perverted. People want to try to reach for this reality.

C.S. Lewis was really great man.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 11:43pm On Sep 24, 2016
I also hold the opinion that the words and teachings of Jesus Christ as documented in the Bible are the greatest proof of His existence. I agree with the guy to a very large extent.

4 Likes

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by analice107: 12:00am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
I also hold the opinion that the words and teachings of Jesus Christ as documented in the Bible are the greatest proof of His existence. I agree with the guy to a very large extent.

Sarcasm?
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:03am On Sep 25, 2016
analice107:

Sarcasm?
Why would you think that?
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by hopefulLandlord: 12:09am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:16am On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=hopefulLandlord post=49648122][/quote]Why you dey show me Ronaldo?
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by analice107: 12:18am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Why would you think that?
I don't know, maybe becos as an atheist, you don't or shouldn't believe Jesus ever existed.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by hopefulLandlord: 12:18am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Why you dey show me Ronaldo?

Na laugh I dey show you o

I no like Ronaldo, one of the few Real Madrid fans not to

it surprises everyone when I say I don't really like him, but I support him since he's presently one of our own
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by DoctorAlien(m): 12:20am On Sep 25, 2016
"Supposing there was no intelligence behind the universe, no creative mind. In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. It is merely that when the atoms inside my skull happen, for physical or chemical reasons, to arrange themselves in a certain way, this gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call thought. But, if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a milk jug and hoping that the way it splashes itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to Atheism, and therefore have no reason to be an Atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I cannot believe in thought: so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God."

Y'all give it up for this terrific man C.S. Lewis...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 12:21am On Sep 25, 2016
analice107:

I don't know, maybe becos as an atheist, you don't or shouldn't believe Jesus ever existed.
He is not an atheist. At least not yet. I think he finds atheism charismatic but he has chosen to give reason a chance.
He does not seem angry too.

1 Like

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:22am On Sep 25, 2016
analice107:

You have a greater chance of becoming Muslim than I becoming atheist. Na you dash me atheist abi?

1 Like

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:28am On Sep 25, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

Na laugh I dey show you o

I no like Ronaldo, one of the few Real Madrid fans not to

it surprises everyone when I say I don't really like him, but I support him since he's presently one of our own
Strange. How can a Madridista not like Ronaldo?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by analice107: 12:31am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
You have a greater chance of becoming Muslim than I becoming atheist. Na you dash me atheist abi?
Like seriously? But your stance here...
I hold my peace.

1 Like

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 12:32am On Sep 25, 2016
"God is not merely good but goodness; Goodness is not merely divine but God"- C.S. Lewis

This quote is epic. This Man was an atheist who followed the evidence where it led and searched truly for answers. I still admire his intelligence.

His take on morality; Our lives are good when we strive to imitate God whom we have seen in the person of Christ Jesus.

He submits the overview of morality in the simplest possible terms.
This man ehn!!!.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by analice107: 12:34am On Sep 25, 2016
winner01:
He is not an atheist. At least not yet. I think he finds atheism charismatic but he has chosen to give reason a chance.
He does not seem angry too.
Oh okay. But his responses are always on the other side. Always asking to see evidence of God.

Peace be still. I shelve my tongue.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by hopefulLandlord: 12:36am On Sep 25, 2016
I think its mostly because I've been a fan of the club for close to 20 years unlike the 2009 kind of fans we have now

I've seen many players come and go over the years and I'm usually impressed by other players

too many times Ronaldo just pops up and scores
scores 2 goals and disappear for the rest of the match but all the headlines on websites and newspapers would praise him

most people just swallow goals and its become something like Real Madrid= Ronaldo and 10 other players

don't get me wrong though, goals are very important but as someone who's been watching more than 95% of real Madrid matches for close to two decades, goals aren't everything

I've learnt to filter the noise brought about by goals and focus on those that play well for close to 90 minutes, those are the guys I like

Pepe, Carvajal, Modrić, Marcelo, Navas and now Casemiro are higher than Ronaldo on my list

hopefully Ronaldo leaves us and Bale becomes the main man
Ranchhoddas:
Strange. How can a Madridista not like Ronaldo?
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:45am On Sep 25, 2016
hopefulLandlord:
I think its mostly because I've been a fan of the club for close to 20 years unlike the 2009 kind of fans we have now

I've seen many players come and go over the years and I'm usually impressed by other players

scores 2 goals and disappear for the rest of the match but all the headlines on websites and newspapers would praise him

most people just swallow goals and its become something like Real Madrid= Ronaldo and 10 other players

don't get me wrong though, goals are very important but as someone who's been watching more than 95% of real Madrid matches for close to two decades, goals aren't everything

I've learnt to filter the noise brought about by goals and focus on those that play well for close to 90 minutes, those are the guys I like

Pepe, Carvajal, Modrić, Marcelo, Navas and now Casemiro are higher than Ronaldo on my list

Very valid argument.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Ranchhoddas: 12:46am On Sep 25, 2016
analice107:
Like seriously? But your stance here... I hold my peace.
Better hold am tight!
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by analice107: 12:49am On Sep 25, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Better hold am tight!
I don hold am abeg no vex
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by EyeHateGod: 12:53am On Sep 25, 2016

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 12:59am On Sep 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by EyeHateGod: 1:44am On Sep 25, 2016
[quote author=winner01 post=49648526][/quote]
Like superstitious stuff?
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Pidggin(f): 4:19am On Sep 25, 2016
Reading...
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by Kaycee7(m): 12:13pm On Sep 25, 2016
winner01:
cc: KingEbukasBlog, Richirich713, thoniameek, anas09, Tufanja, elantraceey, OLAADEGBU, KingEbukaNaija, ceeted, Chidexter, lezz, analice107, bxcode, Topeakintola, UyiIredia, Tellemall, vooks, Ishilove, sukkot, gatiano, mrpresident1, Drefan2, Strawman, dazzle101, lalasticlala, Dejideji1, Farmerforlife, muafrika2, 4evergod2, udysweet, Edelweiss44, naijadeyhia, honourhim, kilo4sure, lordnicklaus, mabea, AlphaDex, felixomor, pidggin, 4evergod, Adrenaline123, Kaycee7, frank317, Edek27, Jokerman, Contact17, naijababe, Ranchhoddas, Omooba77
I'm here
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by honourhim: 3:31pm On Sep 25, 2016
Legendary Lewis has spoken well. I hope the foolish atheists here can now see how foolish they are.
Thanks to God for people like him.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by winner01(m): 8:05pm On Sep 25, 2016
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.- C.S. Lewis

This is a serious quote that atheists should consider.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22am On Oct 01, 2016
winner01:

Bookmarked.
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by trapQ: 9:43am On Oct 01, 2016
i thought you were an atheist too.
Ranchhoddas:
Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by trapQ: 9:53am On Oct 01, 2016
Respect !!
hopefulLandlord:

Re: 10 Times The Great Ex-atheist C.S. Lewis Made The Case For Christ by aaccountable1: 10:26am On Oct 01, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

there is a sports section on nairaland. u can find it by scrolling down to the bottom of ur screen. about the 6th line or so from the bottom.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Christian Books Collections Free Downloads!!! / Atheists/theists: Is Morality Subjective Or Objective? / GKC King's Circle Ep 116 || The Power In Christ's Blood || Pastor W.F. Kumuyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.