Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,079 members, 7,814,744 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:39 PM

Strange Spider In My Backyard - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Strange Spider In My Backyard (1063 Views)

100 Broilers And 20 Foreign Turkeys In My Backyard / my backyard poultry-broilers noilers turkeys / The 4 In 1 Yam A Nairalander Harvested From Her Backyard (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strange Spider In My Backyard by EyesulO(m): 6:33pm On Sep 25, 2016
I know this isn't National Geographic or Discovery Channel but I will really like to document this strange but marvellous creature I found in my backyard. I don't know what type of spider this is but what it's called is not as striking as its amazing features.

My first encounter with it was when I ran into its web on my way to turn on my generator late at night. Twice, i was visibly thrown off balance when strong cobwebs stopped me in my tracks. Not exaggerating, the web is strong enough to remove a loose facecap from a person's head not because it is plenty but because each strand is very tough indeed. See the picture I took with an envelope hanging from its web attached.
What has stopped me from zapping this interesting creature with an insecticide for two weeks now is its golden yellow coloured web. You can see its golden web in the picture taken if you look closely. It shines golden yellow at all times of the day including nights. Now that is not very common. All I read on Wikipedia said some spiders spin webs that shine gold in sunlight so as to attract insects to them. Not this one, golden yellow is normal, sunlight refection is...well...icing on the cake. undecided

Another thing is it's size. It is not in the league of those tiny spiders you see spinning from every ceiling o. That thing is bigger than a full grown cockroach. My crappy camera did not take precise shot from the distance I was. Yes!...i stood at a distance! If it was you nko?
Should this spider spread out completely, its full length will span the palm of a grown man. I saw it capture and feed on an adult cockroach ones. Yes I have researched it, it is not on the list of poisonous spiders...who knows it might be on the list of the ones they are yet to discover undecided I keep my distance.

Long story short...this is Nigeria not some Amazon forest undecided
Even seeing cobwebs in front of your door is seen as bad luck not to now talk of the one that is strong enough to remove a facecap undecided
That sounds like being super jinxed.
I am zapping the poor guy in a few hours.
Has anyone seen this type before?

Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by JeffreyJamez(m): 6:37pm On Sep 25, 2016
Allow him bite you na cheesy...... You will turn to spiderman grin

1 Like

Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by ITbomb(m): 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2016
Nothing strange there, it is a normal spider and you are right, its web is much stronger and sticky
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by Baroba(m): 6:59pm On Sep 25, 2016
Just a specie of spider you haven't encountered before, nothing strange..
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by EyesulO(m): 7:00pm On Sep 25, 2016
ITbomb:
Nothing strange there, it is a normal spider and you are right, its web is much stronger and sticky
What part of the Amazon do you live sir? grin
Please don't take it serious o!
Maybe the spider's true size is not correctly portrayed here. I will find some ingenious way to snap a better picture
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by EyesulO(m): 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2016
Baroba:
Just a specie of spider you haven't encountered before, nothing strange..
Ok have you encountered it before? Tell me, I will like to know a little more.
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by Rehil(f): 8:38pm On Sep 25, 2016
hahahahahaha ur write up got me laffing o.Pls allow d spider to bite u so that through d reaction of your body we can analyse scientifically u know.u may even enter Guinness book of record u never can tell.
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by dacovajnr: 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2016
Bro keep it oooo! You don Hammer!!! I go give you Oscorp number..He been dey find the spider teytey grin grin
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by Turks: 3:06am On Sep 26, 2016
You'very fvck.ed up in the village. They've come for you. They've come to set the records straight.

If you try zap am, you go see say e no go die. grin
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by jbcul4ril(m): 10:58am On Oct 02, 2016
Please don't allow it sting you. Some spider species are very dangerous and it poison can kill or paralyze a full grown man within 15minutes. Kill it if you can. Don't ever spare any spider you don't know about. Google pictures of poisonous spiders may be this one will pop up. Some things you don't know can kill you. Comments above are normally Nigerian mentality; let move on without questions. The curiosity of a white man is why the world have come thus far in knowledge and development. Be guided accordingly. Cheers!!!
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by EyesulO(m): 6:24pm On Oct 03, 2016
So I decided to kill this spider last two weeks....well undecided , I felt bad I was just going to destroy the creature just like that.
That feeling coupled with the fact that I googled it up and found it was not poisonous made me allow this creature live a little longer as I observed it with keen interest...from a distance...of course. And I discovered the following interesting things...

1. This creature feels threatened by human presence. You know that theory about humans being at the top of the food chain? Exactly! We are not the only who know that fact, animals know it too. This spider knows it very well and it shows it. How...you ask?
The other day I decided to kill it. I thought of plucking it's web off little by little. The moment I started, the spider started to shake the entire web vigorously. That kind of movement that says "Watch me I am powerful, I can shake this entire place". The more I plucked, the more it shook. It was a show of power. If only it knew I was carrying an insecticide...mtschew undecided I shook my head, I had mercy on the thing.
2. Ok, so humans have comfort zone in their homes. Like the sitting room, in front of cable TV...like that. This creature has a cable TV spot too...right at the centre of it's web. After observing it for days, I realised, its most comfortable spot is the centre of its complex network of webs. I really don't know the science behind this behaviour but I believe their must be an explanation somehow undecided
So that we can appreciate the true size of this creature, I tried to take another shot of it with something to scale it with.
My wife hasn't gone to the backyard for 4weeks now, I don't know why undecided
Maybe I will kill it next week undecided

Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by Following(m): 11:46pm On Oct 03, 2016
My oga calm down, no one z dying from dt spider's bite(e no dey bite sef) it's a seasonal spider specie in our area(uyo). it usually builds d webs high up and in highly bushy areas. a tasty delicacy for some birds and bat @ night. kids play with it a lot due to its size and beautiful colour

1 Like

Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by EyesulO(m): 9:34am On Oct 04, 2016
Following:
My oga calm down, no one z dying from dt spider's bite(e no dey bite sef) it's a seasonal spider specie in our area(uyo). it usually builds d webs high up and in highly bushy areas. a tasty delicacy for some birds and bat @ night. kids play with it a lot due to its size and beautiful colour

God bless you my brother, I have been looking for someone who knows since. Now I am free to do other things.
Re: Strange Spider In My Backyard by Following(m): 9:07pm On Oct 04, 2016
EyesulO:

God bless you my brother, I have been looking for someone who knows since. Now I am free to do other things.
not 2 worry! bt if u r nt comfortable with going close,avoid it! cos if malaria worry,na spider bite u go blame

(1) (Reply)

Lady Makes Millions From Farming Water Melons After Quitting Her Job. / PKC Needed In Enugu / My layers birds have not been laying

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.